TASCAM Wallpaper

A bit more of the dbx 900 series components with this next one, the 906 flanger/doubler. Image creation wise, this was a Frankenstein render as no clean images exist of this unit so I worked from a few compromised ones to assemble this.

View attachment 94712

right click to download...

Cheers! :)

I don't think I've done anything from Mackie yet and while I know many love to slag them for many assorted reasons, they have commanded a pretty healthy market share with their VLZ-1604 mixers. So here's a nice example of one of those with some added custom wood trim panels...

View attachment 94801

Crown. I covered one of their reel to reel decks from the 60's a few pages back but then realized they were far more famous for their other innovations such as the PZM microphone and their power amp series which went on to widespread use both in studio, stage, dj'ing and even home use! Surprisingly enough, they're still in business to this day and were recently bought out by Harmon International, who have have bought out about 50 other companies and have become a global behemoth.

Anyway, I thought I'd try to showcase a couple of Crown's earlier efforts in their power amp line which have survived to this day in the second-hand after-market and as newer versions with a bit a bit spiffier cosmetics. So for now, here's the Crown DC 300 from 1970. A solid state, 300 watt per channel bullet proof monster! :)

View attachment 94819

Sonic Holography. Does anyone remember this forgotten technology from Carver in the early 80's? This was basically a pseudo surround sound pre-runner to Dolby surround and thankfully never really caught on as it required very specific speaker and listener placement and the effect would quickly fall apart as soon as you left the center sweet spot. So if you wanted to have your friends over to wow them with your latest stereo gear purchase, they'd often leave, laughing under their breath at you for having wasted your money. :D

I was one of the techo-dweebs back in the day who bought into this technology and owned a C-9 add-on unit for a brief period of time before realizing it was pretty gimmicky.

Anyway, here's a mini tribute to this gear with the Carver C-9 generator and their flagship C-4000 pre-amp which had this effect built into it...

View attachment 94828

Maybe ineffective and gimmicky, but it's a nice looking piece of gear. Beautiful "rack filler"

I had one of those Sansui Quad systems and bought some "quad LPs" I remember opening Abraxis only to be dissapointed. It didn't sound much different than my stereo version.
I guess I didn't have the required 3D goggles to go with it. :D

Maybe ineffective and gimmicky, but it's a nice looking piece of gear. Beautiful "rack filler"

I had one of those Sansui Quad systems and bought some "quad LPs" I remember opening Abraxis only to be dissapointed. It didn't sound much different than my stereo version.
I guess I didn't have the required 3D goggles to go with it. :D
Yeah, beautiful looking gear for sure. But I guess that's a bit of borrowed Accuphase cosmetics from when Bob Carver headed up that company before going out on his own. Lots of innovative stuff from him, from his own noise reduction system that I showcased a couple of pages back up to stuff like his light weight magnetic field amplifies which many a roadie was probably thankful for.

Sansui also made some really nice stuff between the mid 60's to mid 70's before they went off to south Korea and put out a bunch of plastic-y junk. ;(

I never got into quad other then owning a Dokoder 7140 quad deck which could be used for over-dubbing like the teac 3340S, which I also owned at one time. But I only used them for multi-track work.

Ah...memories! :)

Ghost, just finished catching up on the last 7 pages of this thread. It has become SUCH a great education of so many brands, eras, and categories of equipment...really, really a great thread above the entertainment value alone.

And I agree with RFR...that Carver C-4000 really IS a great looking piece of gear. :eek:

Thanks again for all the work you put into the images. I know you enjoy the work...it shows in the result...but I also know there is a LOT that goes into what you do individually for each image...its what you DON'T see.

Ghost, just finished catching up on the last 7 pages of this thread. It has become SUCH a great education of so many brands, eras, and categories of equipment...really, really a great thread above the entertainment value alone.

And I agree with RFR...that Carver C-4000 really IS a great looking piece of gear. :eek:

Thanks again for all the work you put into the images. I know you enjoy the work...it shows in the result...but I also know there is a LOT that goes into what you do individually for each image...its what you DON'T see.

7 pages! Wow! :D

Very glad to see you catching up a bit and of course very appreciative of the kind feedback on the images and background info that I pull from memory in some cases and from the web in all others. It is indeed a time consuming labour of love for me to do this as I don't think it could be even contemplated without that long standing love and fascination with the gear I grew up with and lusted after. And every time I think I've run out of ideas for stuff to work on, something always seems to pop up to spawn another project. I'm just happy to be able to share this hobby of mine with the community here and maybe spark a bit of that gear love in others through my renders.

Well, considering you are just about to break 126,000 views, I'd say you've definitely generated some sparks. :thumbs up:

There are generations of folks, myself included, not aware of I'd guess the majority of pieces you've featured in this thread. Knowledge and awareness breed perspective, and for gear-heads this is fun knowledge to have. The images are so tasty to look at...one can just scroll through page after page after page and inevitably see something never seen before, or have seen but has slipped into the corners of the memory ("oh MAN I remember that!"), or maybe something one used to have or use...maybe it was loved or hated, but surely there are other memories to be "sparked", or maybe it is a beloved bit of kit one still owns and/or uses and all of the sudden there's a connection..."Heyyyy somebody else out there knows about my[insert name of gear]!" :D

Anyway, its definitely not just you exercising your talent and laboring in love...the world is watching your work and feels included in it.

Hay Ghost,

I was looking at the MXR stuff, have you already done the MXR blue face rack 31 band eq? If not I have a couple in the gear storage room (don't ask), and I can snap a photo next time I am there.

Alan.

Hay Ghost,

I was looking at the MXR stuff, have you already done the MXR blue face rack 31 band eq? If not I have a couple in the gear storage room (don't ask), and I can snap a photo next time I am there.

Alan.
Nope, haven't covered that one yet but would be very happy to do so if you have the time and opportunity to take a nice head on shot of that! :)

From 1952, the Heathkit A-7 mono all tube kit amplifier with some upgraded knobs by yours truly. This amp was available up until the early 60's and came in several different versions with and without a phono input and some were even modded to be guitar amp heads too! There were also a few different styled cases but couldn't find any decent or repairable pics to include that here. As the model number indicates, this was a 7 watt design and offered with audiophile grade components of the era including Peerless transformers from Chicago and RCA metal jacketed vacuum tubes!

View attachment 94857

Back