TASCAM Wallpaper

Lol, this site needs to be renamed to commercial recording.

You might find this shocking but when all the pro analog studios switched over to digital, a massive amount of that gear was sold off to private "home studios". ;)

My old MS-16 came from a pro studio and I got it for about 15 cents on the dollar of what it originally cost when new...basically, affordable now to guys like me.

Cheers! :)

Next up, another consumer deck from Teac that could have easily been re-branded and turned into a Tascam deck as this was a half track stereo mastering deck running at 15 ips and had an optional dbx unit available for it as well. Chronologically, it came before the X-1000M which came before the X-2000M so I guess this puts it somewhere around 1980 production-wise.

Anyway, here's the X-10M...

View attachment 93318

right click with download...

Tascam power amps. We're all familiar with their headphone amps but they also made a line of smaller power amps too! This first one is the PA-30B which I believe was a 30 wpc stereo amp that could be bridged mono and had an unusual mounting feature which allowed it to be screwed down onto the back of a speaker cabinet. I guess this was a forerunner to the many powered studio monitors that became popular and remained so right up to today.

Anyway, here's a more vintage example of their handy-work...

View attachment 93339

right click to download...

Damn, Ghost! You keep on finding stuff I didn't even know existed!
I think you should have the title of "official historical photo- documentarian"
Thanks for sharing.

Ah, it all makes sense now. He is starting a museum. The thread creates the interest and is on the web forever, and someday......someday, they will pay good money to come to my place and see all this stuff in real life.....Haha! all my hard work will have paid off!!!

I only wish I had the funds and storage space to own all this stuff! :D Sadly, I only own the artwork and even that, I share for free with the community here. ;)

Anyway, here's an other rarer toy from Teac, the TO-8 test tone generator, a handy little gizmo for setting levels at different frequencies. Handy for tape deck calibrations and gain staging your system over all...

View attachment 93354

I did a Frankenstein render of this next piece a couple of years ago because at the time, there were no decent images to work with to do a proper wallpaper of the real thing until I stumbled onto a decent image of it earlier today.

Anyway, here's the Teac VS-88 vari-speed accessory for the 80-8 reel to reel deck...

View attachment 93362

Furman Sound. I'm sure many of us here have seen that name when it comes to rack-mount power bars with those fancy pull out lamps to light up your rack. They also made all kinds of other stuff, in the USA, and are still in business to today, AFAIK.

Anyway, here's a single channel compressor of theirs from the late 70's, the LC-3 which also had side chain switching and de-essing built right in!

View attachment 93619

MXR. Yet another American made product line that started off in the 70's and is still around to this today! They're most well known for their line of guitar stomp boxes but they also made a venture into the rack gear market for a while around 1980 and while these units were still aimed at the guitar player/live stage users they could also be adapted to the recording studio without too much fuss.

Anyway, here's the Omni II multi effects unit and the 126 flanger/doubler 2 rack space units...

View attachment 93655

View attachment 93654

While I'm still in an MXR mood, might as well add in their infamous model 129 Pitch Transposer too! I wanted to have the pitch transpose display unit in here too but there's currently no decent pics on the web to work from.

View attachment 93707

Long before the current day trend of self powered studio monitors, Ampex as far back as the late 50's through the early 70's offered this product sku to the professional and industrial marketplace. The model 692 pictured below was one of their offerings from the early 60's and featured a tube based 25 watt amp with a sealed JBL 8" full range driver and to this day still sell for several hundred bucks on evilbay! The blue speaker grill was not officially offered and is more-so my own artistic contribution to this model to pay some homage to JBL which did have the fine weave blue fabric. The original 692 came with a more pedestrian light brown cane weave fabric.

View attachment 93711

Last edited:
Long before the current day trend of self powered studio monitors, Ampex as far back as the late 50's through the early 70's offered this product skew to the professional and industrial marketplace.

Cool. My dad worked for Ampex for a while. I still have some commercial release cassettes on Ampex tape.

Did you mean "product sku"? Sku means "stock keeping unit".

Thank you for all your work in this thread and others.

You personally helped me out with some fantastic studio shots of some of my gear.

I for one will miss you, but here is to hoping this thread remains here for others to enjoy your efforts.

Mark

Back