The Tascam M-106

Are you asking about the M-106 monitor out amp?

If so, no that doesn't utilize a TL072. The monitor out amp on the M-106 uses a 4560 input stage and a discrete transistor output stage.

So, that 1.5 watts at the fones is just pnp, etc..

Hello everybody, this is my first post here although I enjoy reading here for some years!

My M106 does me good service for so long now, it´s unbelievable (ca. 10 years of heavy use).
I´m really fond of it for what I´m doing (mixing and routing line-level sources) and I like it´s sound driven hard. I would not use it as micpre, but that´s just prejudice.;)

My question would be, if anybody has the service manual /schematic of the M106 (I can only find M208/216 on the web and presume they must be close, but...)

Congrats on the first post! :D

Register for a free account at hifi engine. The copy of the M-106 owner's manual there at least includes the schematic for the M-106.

Congrats on the first post! :D

Register for a free account at hifi engine. The copy of the M-106 owner's manual there at least includes the schematic for the M-106.

Unfortunatly it´s the same manual I already have in paper, containing block diagrams only...
Thanks nonetheless, the search continues!

No it's not. The second to last page is the schematic...shows the complete circuit design and components for the entire mixer. What is it you are needing besides the schematic?

You are right!
Thank you very much!

Looking at the schemos the mixer seems to be mostly easily servicable, the only difficulty: the pan pot is log/revlog and the eq pots look like tapped pots?

The circuit is also quite nice from in to pgm out the audio has only to pass four opamps.
No mojo, sorry, but everything is simple and is therefore usable, repair- and modifieable with ease and sounding good, I´ll hang on to mine (;

You are right!
Thank you very much!

Looking at the schemos the mixer seems to be mostly easily servicable, the only difficulty: the pan pot is log/revlog and the eq pots look like tapped pots?

The circuit is also quite nice from in to pgm out the audio has only to pass four opamps.
No mojo, sorry, but everything is simple and is therefore usable, repair- and modifieable with ease and sounding good, I´ll hang on to mine (;

What's the issue with the log taper pan pots and the center-tapped EQ pots?

Both nice features AFAIC...

Yeah it's a good-sounding little mixer...hard to find some of the features (like the simple semi-inline sourcing, flexible monitor and meter sourcing...) and design qualities (like individual channel cards, nutted steel-bodied pots, etc.) in many small mixers like that. Also pretty hard to find a mixer that small with 4 subgroups (really kind of 2+2...bit *still*...it expands its usability). And I think it's cool they used a discrete transistor output stage for the monitor out. For those that just can't leave well enough alone the 2041 opamps, though they sound fine, could be upgraded to OPA2134 for *maybe* some audible improvement in HF and LF clarity and maybe lower noise...but it's not really all that noisy to start with. And a recap with audio grade caps might help too. But, again, I think it sounds pretty nice as-is.

I have some faith in it. I was doing a fairly convoluted summing test with my DAW groups to 2-track and it sounded very good. When I tried to digitize that, it took about 2-seconds to realize the whole thing collapsed. Granted, I didn't use better converters, but I didn't expect it to sound worse than the bad Digitally Remastered MP3 I pick up on Amazon : )

If it has the fader connectors and/or the manual, it might indicate it was stored intact. The price is what I paid. $33, or, $36 ? I paid the Premium price to get the slider bridges : )

What's the issue with the log taper pan pots and the center-tapped EQ pots?

I was just pondering ease of maintenance and it´s hard to get those pots (pan is actually log/rev.log dual pot, I think, but dual linear might be ok), best way would be to get another cheap m106 for parts...

Yes, the discrete current booster on the hp out is classy, even things like the dust protection lips on the fader and fader bridges...

I´ll leave the opamps alone, I don´t really know how the power supply would deal with the added current needs of 2134s and "don´t fix it if it works" applys also, a thing to look in is, as you said the audio electrolytics, and the power bypassing. I´ll do it the day I notice something wrong with the mixer. :-)

Tascam 106 Mixer | eBay

MIGHT be just too risky..sides looks to come in touch with water. also rusty around the inputs

For under 50 I´d take it!

Back