The Tascam M-106

sweetbeats

Reel deep thoughts...
I've always been curious about these things...small format 6x4 mixer...no frills, but replete with a couple analog VU meters with switchable sourcing, an AUX buss (with inline sourcing), an effect buss...and an assignable effect return. Sliders for all inputs as well as mix groups, and an honest-to-goodness little monitor section with a source select switchrack...inserts on all inputs and groups, direct outs as well...it even has a couple phono preamps...

So when an opportunity arose I plopped down $70 plus S&H...the way the listing detail read, and the fact the seller didn't appear to deal much with electronics, I figured it probably worked even though the seller cautioned they thought something was wrong with it.

Everything works.

IMG_7112.JPG

And this is what they look like inside...I'd take one of these over a little Mackie, Behringer, Phonic, Alesis unit all day long...

IMG_7111.JPG

Maybe $70 was too much to pay for one...oh wait...that's right...I got two for that price!

IMG_7114.JPG

:D:D:D

They both work just fine. None of the VU meter lamps work, and one of them has one dead meter. I have lamps and spare meters too. One of them is in excellent condition...thinking it will clean up 9/10 easy. The other is a little more rough but not too bad.

They sound good! For original caps being onboard and 2041 opamps I'm pleased with the sound. Anyway, probably get them both going tip-top, make one minty one and one average one out of the pair and sell them both.

SB...... You talked so glowing about those things, I up and bought one too..... it should be here today......
I wasn't feeling too bad about the price either until you went and bogo'd me...... :) .

....... If you have any BUSS questions..... I'm your man :D ......

This is what a naked M-106 looks like from the top...it is possible to remove the dress panel to clean it with all the guts left intact:

IMG_7208.JPG

I finished refurbishing the one M-106 I got that looked like it would clean up well. It did end up being a solid 9/10 cosmetically. I detailed everything, disassembled and cleaned all the faders, installed new meter lamps and calibrated the meters. Both of the M-106s I bought appear to have been used/stored in a dry environment...I often come across older Tascam gear where the RCA jacks have a sort of hazy oxidation to them vs being bright shiny chrome. Both of these M-106's jacks are nice and bright and shiny.

IMG_7209.JPGIMG_7210.JPGIMG_7211.JPGIMG_7215.JPGIMG_7213.JPGIMG_7214.JPGIMG_7212.JPG

Got M-106 #2 all patched up and put back together. I put new meter lamps in but they weren't working...

Q: what do we *always* do first when something electronic isn't working?

A: check the power supply.

In the M-106 the meter lamps are powered by a +6VDC power rail. Lamp power at the terminals for the lamps was +1.3VDC...something shorting? I disconnected the power connector from the meter PCB and checked the power at the connector...still +1.3VDC. I probed the 7806 regulator on the power supply...+12VDC at input (good), +1.3VDC at output. On the hunch the regulator was bad I went out to the shop and hastily pawed through a box of M-300 remains...I recalled there being a power supply in there and I figured since the M-106 and M-300 series were contemporary to each other the lamps in the M-300 were likely powered by +6VDC as well. Quickly found the power supply and sure enough there's a 7806 regulator on there. Swapped the part from the M-300 supply carcass on to the M-106 supply...lamps still didn't work...hmmm...wait...then they were on...wth...I wiggle the power connector at the meter PCB and the lamps flicker. Out comes the soldering iron again to re-flow those solder joints. All better now. I calibrated the meters, did a quick wipe-down...it's in better shape than I originally took it for. I'd say a 7/10 and fully-functional:

IMG_7256.JPG

By the way, a great answer to a trivia question: the M-106 and M-300 series use the exact same power supply PCB.

I like it when stuff works out like this...I purchased the two M-106 mixers for about $70...the seller thought they were non-functional. They both did need a little work, but not much, and they are now both 100% functional, one of them is in minty condition, and the other I just sold for $100.

And this is how you ship it...in a custom fabbed cacoon made out of styrofoam packing blocks from computer monitors. Bye-bye M-106 #2.

IMG_7791.JPG

Pretty awesome Cory!!! I'm about to get mine going again here next week. I've been working on a song and need to do some mic experimenting so I can get "that " sound.

I've had "stuff work out like this" too.... my problem is I use the money other stuff that doesn't work out so well.... :D

I got one in Feb. 2011, after my first mixer left me feeling empty - a Behringer 1002fx.

Very happy with it. Never sees a MIC. I don't use the 2-buss for anything. One day it's mixing synths to a disk recorder, the next day its on the floor, the next day mixing DAW groups out to 4-track tape ?

Attachments

• P1120636_470.jpg
    P1120636_470.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 76
Hey thanks for the post and welcome!

It's a handy tool. I really like how mine sounds and yeah...it's really easy to just set it up wherever. That's cool!

Hey thanks for the post and welcome!

It's a handy tool. I really like how mine sounds and yeah...it's really easy to just set it up wherever. That's cool!

I like the sound, too. I try not to use the EQ and try to stay straight wire. I was interested when I saw they were from the same era as the 300/500 - cheaper model, but good enough. The test would be to plug a table into it see see if it gets the place rockin' haha

Lol :D

The M-106 isn't really related at all to the M-500...same era though, yes, and it IS related to the M-300 series...cut from the same stock for sure...same build quality and architecture. I really like how the M-300 mixers sound. Interestingly enough, I was surprised the M-106 doesn't use the 5532 opamp like the M-300 series...pretty much everything is 2041 in the M-106...the 2041 isn't really very well respected these days. I choose to ignore the critics and go with my ears. It sounds good. People stick their noses up at the TL072 as well, but holy grail SSL consoles use the TL072. I think it is often more about the circuit design around the opamp vs. the opamp itself. I'm not saying the M-106 has an SSL-like circuit. All I'm saying is it sounds nice to my ears and I don't much care what's under the hood as a result.

I think its a handy tool. And for *sure* I'll take my M-106 over any comparable offerings (as far as channel count) from Behringer/Alesis/Phonic/Mackie/etc.

Ya, I was hoping to fall into a 308, or, old Teac, but this is more my speed : )

I can double-up on Teac sound going into their decks, which was a buy plus. Teac distortion. The 106 is on the floor now 'cause I needed the desk space and am using the Behringer (man, does that suck finding the right knob)

I have no experience with those, but I tend to look towards the electronics of the day. Outside of that and wishing for something magical, it's a matter of taste. I would have tempered respect for TEAC products back then . They were big ships in the home recording sea they created. I don't think anyone is going to suggest the preamps in the 2340 4-track, or, these TEAC America preamps sound really good. I have a fair amount modest TEAC clutter and have, generally, been very happy with the products - so, that's a couple old tube decks, 1600 suitcase recorder, 2340 sim-sync, ampex 700, M-106 mixer, ps5 mp3 4-track, and a couple USB interfaces. If I had space and money, I would like to try a 312b. My use with the 106 is, primarily, just a summing box - for DAW groups L&R, plus the Center on the other buss using levels, rather than pan.

How would u guys compare the 80' series such as 200's and 300's to the earlier models such as model 5 and 2?

I haven't put sound through my Teac 5B yet. It uses 4559 opamps and garden variety Tamia transformers to balance the mic amps. I expect the earlier Teac mixers to be higher in noise with less transparency to the mic amp as compared to the M-100/200/300 mixers. And I agree with what garww said in his last post; any of this stuff will get the job done...it's a matter of taste. I will say the Model 5 is built like a brick $hithouse compared to the M-100/200/300 mixers...not that there is anything wrong with those, but there really is no comparison...completely different animal in the caliber of the build design. I have a thread on the 5B if you want to know more.

..." but holy grail SSL consoles use the TL072"

haha I think I used those out of my Radio Shack parts shoeboxes for both my Rotel integrated stereo amp and my '76 Aspen Black Box ignition system. I owe a lot to Allied/Tandy/Radio Shack.

One channel on my stereo buss has the old "burnt" malady. I haven't really missed it, in my situation, but any idea if there is a easy substitute. I seem to to remember talk of matching up a modern part ?

Matching up a modern part, you mean like a modern equivalent to a TL072? There are lots to choose from, but you can also still get the TL072 as a brand new part.

Is that what is on the monitor system ? It could be nice to use the monitor routing functions. I didn't notice any big case amps the one time I had the bottom off looking for the headphone boards

Are you asking about the M-106 monitor out amp?

If so, no that doesn't utilize a TL072. The monitor out amp on the M-106 uses a 4560 input stage and a discrete transistor output stage.

Are you asking about the M-106 monitor out amp?

If so, no that doesn't utilize a TL072. The monitor out amp on the M-106 uses a 4560 input stage and a discrete transistor output stage.

Hello everybody, this is my first post here although I enjoy reading here for some years!

My M106 does me good service for so long now, it´s unbelievable (ca. 10 years of heavy use).
I´m really fond of it for what I´m doing (mixing and routing line-level sources) and I like it´s sound driven hard. I would not use it as micpre, but that´s just prejudice.;)

My question would be, if anybody has the service manual /schematic of the M106 (I can only find M208/216 on the web and presume they must be close, but...)

Back