does it matter which preamp you use w/ analog?

I think the Peavey mixer would be inadequate to support the 8-track reel,...

because it's only a 12x2 live mixer, with no adequate facility for separate 8x2 cue monitor, a feature which differentiates a "live" mixer from a "recording" mixer. However, cue monitor may be handled by an external 8x2 line mixer such as the Tascam M-1B. The M-1B has unbalanced RCA connectors, so would require some adapters to hook to the Otari.

Going from 1/4" unbalanced mixer outputs to XLR balanced recorder inputs is only one of your issues!

;)

Doesn't your Otari 8 track have the capability of directly inputting mic/line signals with trim inputs/outputs ? From the photos I've seen I think it does. It should also have a headphone jack. Does it ? If so, you could entirely track on the Otari and only use the Peavey to mixdown from. So then there is no need for a cue mixer, at least for the time being. ;)

~Daniel

Last edited:
A Reel Person said:
because it's only a 12x2 live mixer, with no adequate facility for separate 8x2 cue monitor, a feature which differentiates a "live" mixer from a "recording" mixer. However, cue monitor may be handled by an external 8x2 line mixer such as the Tascam M-1B. The M-1B has unbalanced RCA connectors, so would require some adapters to hook to the Otari.

Going from 1/4" unbalanced mixer outputs to XLR balanced recorder inputs is only one of your issues!

;)

actaully, my mixer is that model, but has 16 channels.

Okay,...

Y'know,... I thought about it twice, and although a 16x2 channel mixer is better than 12x2 for an 8-in/8-out/8-track recorder, it still doesn't solve your need for an isolated cue monitor.

For instance, you'd never want to have the Send and Recieve (mixer) channels turned up for any single (tape) track simultaneously, because when you enabled Record on the track, you'd create a terminal feedback loop in the stereo-buss section!

If you're ALWAYS ULTRA CAREFUL to never have a send and return channel on when you enable a track,... it can be done, I'm not gonna say it's impossible, but you're barely squeaking by, as such.

Also, in the studio environment there's no such thing as "never", because if you configure that way, I'LL GUARANTEE you'll create feedback at one time or another. Mark my words, it's almost unavoidable the way you'd be configured. You'd be better off with two separate 8 channel mixers, than with a 16x2, for an 8in/8out recorder that records 8-simultaneously.

Just my thoughts.

Good luck!

;)

Last edited:
A Reel Person said:
Y'know,... I thought about it twice, and although a 16x2 channel mixer is better than 12x2 for an 8-in/8-out/8-track recorder, it still doesn't solve your need for an isolated cue monitor.

For instance, you'd never want to have the Send and Recieve (mixer) channels turned up for any single (tape) track simultaneously, because when you enabled Record on the track, you'd create a terminal feedback loop in the stereo-buss section!

If you're ALWAYS ULTRA CAREFUL to never have a send and return channel on when you enable a track,... it can be done, I'm not gonna say it's impossible, but you're barely squeaking by, as such.

Also, in the studio environment there's no such thing as "never", because if you configure that way, I'LL GUARANTEE you'll create feedback at one time or another. Mark my words, it's almost unavoidable the way you'd be configured. You'd be better off with two separate 8 channel mixers, than with a 16x2, for an 8in/8out recorder that records 8-simultaneously.

Just my thoughts.

Good luck!

;)

hey, thanks for the warnings. And forgive me for not knowing what you or even I are talking about. I'm still pretty darn new to all this. when you say cue monitor, you just mean having a signal to go to my headphones so I can overdub correctly, right? Why can't I just use the monitor send jack for that? The pic on ebay doesn't really show the monitor out.

Last edited:
oh yeah! Yes it does. That solves my problem then? It'd still be good if you could explain a little more, since I'm naive to lots of this, and I have another recorder with no headphones jack. What is it that my mixer lacks that is needed to record properly?

antispatula said:
oh yeah! Yes it does. That solves my problem then? It'd still be good if you could explain a little more, since I'm naive to lots of this, and I have another recorder with no headphones jack. What is it that my mixer lacks that is needed to record properly?

That's what I tried to point out earlier and that you could entirely record (and overdub) on the Otari and only use the Peavey to mixdown from. No need for an external cue mixer. I also believe that you can hook up a mic to the Otari and use the knobs for the preamps to gain stage. Say, can you upload a couple of clear photos of the front and back (close ups) of the Otari so that we can see what it can and can't do - not the faders but all different function knobs, buttons etc ... But I do bet that you could record/overdub direct to the Otari kinda like on a 3440, 34B etc ... and then use any kind of mixer to mix down through to cassette, cd etc .. while adding effects etc....

~Daniel

hey. Yeah, I get what you're saying, I guess I can just track directly into the otari.

ota.jpg

otari.jpg

Thanks for all your help. I'm still worried about my mixer being inadecuate. What if I want to record on something else? Before I got the otari, I bought a fostez r8, like 2 days after I got it. It's not as if I get how to use the r8, but what if I wanted to use that? I'd have to do it with my mixer, that's why I want to know what my mixer is lacking. Thanks for all the help!

Okay,...

the headphone monitor should serve as cue monitor on the Otari, and you should be okay with that.

The Fostex R8 does not have an internal cue monitor, and so would depend on the mixing board to provide that function.

I should reserve all comments on the Peavey 16x2 mixer, because I'm not familiar with it. If it has a monitor send section, that helps a lot, but I cannot say for sure how well this mixer would adapt to 8-track recording. You just have to try it. ;)

A Reel Person said:
the headphone monitor should serve as cue monitor on the Otari, and you should be okay with that.

The Fostex R8 does not have an internal cue monitor, and so would depend on the mixing board to provide that function.

I should reserve all comments on the Peavey 16x2 mixer, because I'm not familiar with it. If it has a monitor send section, that helps a lot, but I cannot say for sure how well this mixer would adapt to 8-track recording. You just have to try it. ;)

hey, thanks for the help! I'm still trying to figure out why my mixer isn't the best for 8 track recording. It has a monitor out. Each channel has a monitor volume control. So I can turn up and down whichever tracks I want to listen to while overdubbing. What more would I need? Oh, and I want to track one track at a time, if that means anything.....

A Reel Person said:
....................... ;)

yeeees! I DON'T want to get a new mixer. My first expirience with a "mixer" was a portastudio. It broke days after I got it. The second time I came across one, I bought, but turned out two channels didn't work. It was a nightmare sendnig it back and getting a refund. Now I got this one, 100 bucks, 16 channels. I'm familiar with it and like it a lot. What a relief!

antispatula said:
I am upgrading from the crappy built-in pres in my 25 year old mixer.....That's why I have no expirience with external pre's.

I always use a pre-amp and still do. There is a difference in pre-amps but the more expensive ones are not necessarily the best. You got to ask yourself the question; "why do I want a pre-amp" and the answer would probably be to attach my turntable, amplifier and whatever other stand alone devices I may have.

I built a Dynaco PAT 4 back in the 60's and gave it away in the 80's. I should have kept it. They auction them on eBay but it goes quick and for a price I won't pay, but it was a good pre-amp.

If I had a choice of solid state vs tube type it would be tube. The bass is much clearer and the highs very crisp.

I got a cheapo pre-amp by Audio Source and the only thing missing is an input for a turntable but I got around that.

Good luck.

Peavey Mixer

Hi,
I actually own the same 16 channel Peavey mixer. We did the tracking for most of our last album on it until I could afford something better. Terrible studio board, great cheap live board though.

One trick is to use the inserts as direct outs to your recorder, that's how we were able to track drums and guitars all at the same time. You just have to watch the levels going into the tape recorder. Also, when you patch back from the recorder, make sure to give it a little bit on the mic trim on the board on playback, otherwise the sound will be VERY dull coming back. There's plenty of headroom on the board, so distorting shouldn't be a problem, especially with only 8 tracks.

Mixing can be a nightmare on that mixer, but it is possible. We mixed 3 rough demos from the album before we remixed it on my Mackie 32 channel board, which was soon replaced with a Tascm 2516 (much better sounding pre's than the Mackie or the Peavey).

-MD

Back