Brand new reel to reel decks ?

yeah,

like one day,

it'll be like,

is there a plugin that can emulate the sound of an mp3?

or, "I want it to sound like that crappy myspace compression. like, lo-fi yo. "

Daniel, feel heat yet? heh heh :D
I'd say: pointing the mic at the instrument - is a solid fundamental ;)

Beck said:
Mixmkr is making “The all things being unequal” argument, which is skirting the issue of the medium. Proper technique is fundamental. The well-known (and lesser known) professionals that champion analog tape aren’t struggling with the fundamentals and are fully aware of the strengths and weaknesses of each format. The format isn’t unimportant simply because technique is of equal or greater importance.

If that were the case tape would have died a natural death long ago. Not only is it still alive but also has gained relative to its historical low. It’s not a romantic curiosity to pragmatists like me who chose it for its attributes.

It’s true enough though that excellence doesn’t normally determine the market. That's true with anything, including chicken nuggets. :)

I'm not saying that tape doesn't have it's sought after sound attributes but only is it realized (and appreciated) when the musician/recording engineer are in full harmony in achieving a professionally recorded sound, solely achieved with much talent and years of experience. Most home recordists have not even reached this level.

The point that I was trying to make earlier is that outboard gear, technique, room, skilled musicians and audio enginneers mostly determine the sound. Sure, the medium on which stuff is recorded has its own distinctive palm print but it is not larger or even equal to the other variables mentioned.

Peace ;)

~Daniel

mixmkr said:
And honestly, I don't find the people raving about analog in the HOME RECORDING FORUMS, having the skills that it really makes that much difference anyway.

The people on these forums have various backgrounds. However, the preference for analog by many in the pro recording world didn’t start and doesn’t end at homerecording.com

Last edited:
cjacek said:
... musician/recording engineer are in full harmony in achieving a professionally recorded sound, solely achieved with much talent and years of experience. Most home recordists have not even reached this level.
hmmmmmm....
Have most professionals reached it? :confused:
;)

cjacek said:
I'm not saying that tape doesn't have it's sought after sound attributes but only is it realized (and appreciated) when the musician/recording engineer are in full harmony in achieving a professionally recorded sound, solely achieved with much talent and years of experience. Most home recordists have not even reached this level.

The point that I was trying to make earlier is that outboard gear, technique, room, skilled musicians and audio enginneers mostly determine the sound. Sure, the medium on which stuff is recorded has its own distinctive palm print but it is not larger or even equal to the other variables mentioned.

Peace ;)

~Daniel

I agree the skill argument is a sound argument, but only when applied fairly across both digital and analog. It's true; the majority of cries for help on these forums and others are due to underestimating the basic skills required for success… no disagreement there. :)

Beck said:
I agree the skill argument is a sound argument, but only when applied fairly across both digital and analog. It's true; the majority of cries for help on these forums and others are due to underestimating the basic skills required for success… no disagreement there. :)

In full agreement with you, Tim. Friends again ? ;) ;)

Beck said:
I agree the skill argument is a sound argument, but only when applied fairly across both digital and analog.
.... and across both Professionals and Home-Recordists. :p

No, no disagreement there. :D

cjacek said:
In full agreement with you, Tim. Friends again ? ;) ;)

Never weren't. :)

There are a lot of things more important than recording... lets talk about pizza toppings… don’t get me started. :p

Beck said:
Never weren't. :)

There are a lot of things more important than recording... lets talk about pizza toppings… don’t get me started. :p

Or the soul of popular music itself... meaning a lot of what I hear out there it really doesn't matter what its recorded on... nothing will help or hurt. ;)

The most puzzling thing about this thread to me is that I’m not fat or bald, still have all my teeth and generally look like a much younger man than I am. Ask anyone… it’s true.

The nasty rumors started about us analog guys… dumpster diving, and what next I wonder.

Grinding small children into sausages with our reel-to-reels is what it’s all about anyway. The recording thing is a cover. Shhh...

Beck said:
The most puzzling thing about this thread to me is that I’m not fat or bald, still have all my teeth and generally look like a much younger man than I am. .....
Ah.... You have been stereotyped. No puzzle here. Get over it. lol... :D
btw, I've heard saying: "You can't sing real Blues if you still have all your teeth." :p

...are we still on the topic?

Dr ZEE said:
NOW! I say: that truck IS in complete and full harmony with itself! :D

Finally, someone "gets" what I've been sayin' all along ... Ok, back to dumpster divin' .. wait ... is that ... er ...yup, I think I see a 3440 down there ... have to clear away the chicken bones first ... ah, there ya go .... eh ... have to go, guys .. :D ;)

Back