EMT 240 Gold Foil Plate Reverb

Hmm, you could offer a complete "Analog Warmth" package where you run clients' tracks through your tape machine and reverb unit. :laughings: Lots of newbs would pay for that.

The scary part...is that you're right. There's a lot of the young, new digital generation that would buy into that.

I'll keep in mind...it could supplement my early retirement.. :)

OK...here you go, a little sampling of the EMT 240 in action. There's a little bit of drums with a short reverb setting (alternate from dry to wet at the start), and then some guitar noodling, first section short reverb, second section a little longer time.
These were just quick-n-dirty...so I have yet to use the 240 on any track or mix, but this gives some idea of how it sounds, and there are IMO, enough options with the time setting (0 to 4+ seconds), plus the 4 position low cut filter, and of course the level of wet/dry that you choose....so I think for a single plate in this small package, it's got plenty of options.

EMT240 Samples
(320 kKbs/8+MB)

One thing....contrary to the suggested idea that you can place the 240 right in the control room....I found out that it still needs to be in a quiet and somewhat isolated location. It's pretty sensitive to outside noise, mostly low-end rumbles.
My studio floor is poured cement slab...and even with the 240 on a pair of sand bags and with some think foam between the base and the bags, if I hit my foot against the cement floor, the 240 would pick it up and give off some very low-end reverberation/rumbling...though not loud like when there's a signal driving the 240, but certainly audible.
You could yell and should next to it with no problem...but any kind of low-end vibrations get easily picked up by it.
Even when I walked about 15 feet away, I could still hit the floor and the 240 would pick it up.

So....may plan to have it next to my console isn't going to work, and I'm going to move it into the next room, and stick it inside a closet in the corner, and I plan to get some serious rubber/foam/etc to place under it so it decouples from the cement floor, plus I'm going to get a custom made padded cover from D2F covers, to further cushion the case from outside noises.

This rubber will probably do what you want. I did my entire studio floor in it.Rubber Horse Stall Mat, 4 ft. x 6 ft. - Tractor Supply Co.

OK....this is the final set of pics from my EMT 240. I said I would take inside pics when I replaced the pilot bulb and made adjustments to the main springs, so here's the whole sequence for anyone interested or needed EMT240 info.

The inner sealed chamber that houses the actual gold foil plate. As you can see, it has two main springs that hold it up, and then side springs in the middle and at both front and back of each side to keep it from swaying too much and basically 100% suspended in the air.

EMT240_01.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is a close up of the bottom metal bracket, and you can see that now it is up about 1/4" off the fiber pad. Initially, the main springs must have sagged over the years, and that plate was touching the fiber pad, so any floor/room vibrations were affecting the main chamber. Now it is 100% floating. There are similar brackets at all the sides, and now all four have about the same 1/4" spacing from the fiber pads and outer case.

EMT240_02.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Close up of the main spring.

EMT240_03.jpg

Close up of the adjustment nut for the main spring height/tension.

EMT240_04.jpg

Some of the main power electrical stuff (most of the actual amp/reverb electronics is not visible as it is inside the inner chamber, and also in each of the EMT262 amp sections, which are inside that metal housing right above, and what you see at the front of the unit, and where you adjust I/O levels and bass cut.

EMT240_05.jpg

Some adjustment pots...but nothing I messed with at this point.

EMT240_06.jpg

This is the replacement LED bulb and the new rubber feet I got (Peavey cab feet). Picked up some screws from Home Depot by eye, and they were perfect size/thread for the unit. so the feet went in like OEM, and even better, as they are beefier and little taller.

EMT240_07.jpg

Just a shot of the pilot light in its glowing glory with the new LED bulb.

EMT240_08.jpg

And finally, this is the "sandwich" I made to decouple the unit from the floor even more effectively than it sitting just on its rubber feet. It's a piece of 2"x4", with a rubber pads from a typical outdoor rubber doormat that I got at Home Depot. Just put a few drops of epoxy on either side, and glued them to the wood.
Then under that sandwich, I added a 1/2" piece of packing foam....a very rubbery kind of foam, not the Styrofoam stuff....and it doesn't compress 100%, rather it acts like a spring, so if I rock the unit, it just has this springy wobble to it, but it is firmly in place. There is a second "sandwich" also under the rear feet.
Works like a charm, and after a few days, the unit has settled into place so it's quite steady.
I used the small piece of cork at the one side of the unit, front and back, as shims to make level, since it sits on a carpeted floor and it wasn't perfectly level, plus the rubber/foam wasn't compressing 100% identically on both sides, since the unit has a bit more weight on one side....but it's set now.

EMT240_09.jpg

Thanks!

I've been using it tonight with my console, just running a cue mix through the board and adding some ambiance to the dsrums with the EMT.
It has some interesting flavors and certainly that analog/organic sound and response that the digital plate emulations don't quite do.
With the drums, it's very cool how different blends of level to the EMT, like say...of the High Hat, also changes how the Snare sounds in the EMT. With digital units, you don't have as much of that interaction....the signals just all go in and get the same reverb FX. With the EMT there's much more of an active/reactive thing going on, depending what all the signals are and their level balance.
You can completely change the character of the signal, like the Snare's attack....rather than just getting more or less plate reverb on the Snare.
With the bass cut options....I can roll back the low-end and not have the Kick drum (or other low-end signals) cause the reverb to boom in the lows....so it lets me add some more "click" to the Kick, but still leaving it rather dry sounding.

Way cool! :)

I can't wait to use it on an actual mix!

Back