Holiday sales

One of the problems with Reason is you're pretty much stuck with their plugs.

Really?
I didn't know that...I just assumed most DAWs allow the use of 3rd party plugs, as long as they are in an acceptable format.

I'm sure they give you enough to work with....but heck, I wouldn't want to be limited to just them. My DAW (Samplitude ProX) has great plugs, but I still like use 3rd party plugs too.

Well they do have the RT plugs which are third party

Never fancied reason...dunno why as I collect DAWs like poor folks collect coupons

In a way, they are third party, but the third party has to write it to Propellerhead's RE (rack extension) protocol. Can't just go out and get a dll version. Makes the program more stable, so they say. I wonder what's available in RE format outside propellerhead.se...

SONAR comes with plugs that only work within it, and you can buy pugs that only work within it, but you can also use third party stuff.

I have a $25 coupon for UA, but I'm waiting to see if they send me another before I decide to buy something. I have enough stuff, but sometimes things get so cheap you can't afford not to buy them.:)

If you need an iLok dongle.....you can get one for FREE from Slate....you just buy their RC Tube plug for $29.
Actually....you end up paying another $5 for shipping on the iLok dongle...but it's still not a bad deal.
I just got it both for the plug and for the iLok....now I have a spare iLok dongle. :)

RC-Tube - Slate Digital

How do they survive? DAWs need to be flexible.

Remember their interface? Balance? Simple 6 in 4 out interface with a big knob...$500. But you could get rid of your dongle!!!
The big selling point for a long time was bandwidth and stability. But now, there's lots of DAWs out there that can handle 60 plugs running and 30 VSTi's at 96k/24bit.
I've honestly never had the thing bomb on me. EVER. Reaper poops out every once in a while and all I use there is SSD. So there's something to the stability part at least for me.
It's like Apple of DAWs. They're rock solid, never have problems. But you pay for it, and the availability of add on products is limited.

There are quite a few 3rd party plugin guys doing rack extensions for reason so I don't see the issue.

I got out of reason a while ago as the workflow wasn't that great anymore after a while, I beta tested Record before it was merged under the same hat (a good choice on their part IMO)

Remember their interface? Balance? Simple 6 in 4 out interface with a big knob...$500. But you could get rid of your dongle!!!
The big selling point for a long time was bandwidth and stability. But now, there's lots of DAWs out there that can handle 60 plugs running and 30 VSTi's at 96k/24bit.
I've honestly never had the thing bomb on me. EVER. Reaper poops out every once in a while and all I use there is SSD. So there's something to the stability part at least for me.

I'm working a mix right now that has 91 plugins running. I don't even have i7 or i5 - it's i3 here. I have to freeze tracks to get playback smooth. It crashes occasionally, but it's worth it for the ability to run Fabfilter and Lexicon and Soundtoys and Kush and Waves and Valhalla and Slate. A person has to r-e-a-l-l-y value stability to give that up.

Anyway, I don't want to turn this into a Reason pros/cons debate...what goodies are there on sale out there? :)

Slate's got a December sale going with good prices. I've got the VCC and like it, and a (free) update is slated (ha!) for January. You can never believe what he says, but this one looks pretty reliable.

Online Shop - Slate Digital

plugin-alliance is doing a christmas sale - one plugin per day - you have to click on this calendar thing.
Today and tomorrow (Dec 24/25 for those of us in the land of the setting sun) all the december one-a-day offers are active

bx_digital v2 is 89 bucks, for instance, I think

https://plugin-alliance.com/en/xmasc.html

Sweetwater and GC have the Toontrack EZX's on sale for $39.99. Sweetwater has all the Toontrack stuff on sale.

Today and tomorrow (Dec 24/25 for those of us in the land of the setting sun) all the december one-a-day offers are active

bx_digital v2 is 89 bucks, for instance, I think

https://plugin-alliance.com/en/xmasc.html

They did the same thing last year, and I went out of control...and bought a plug almost every day from them. :facepalm: :D

I think I have every plug from Brainworx now, and a good deal of the other stuff they offer at Plugin Alliance. :p

The Rockrack by BX, I needed some instant gratification and I got it. IMHO it was worth the money, I wouldn't pay much more for it though, thanks for the heads up, I may take another look at the sale before the year is up.

Back