Sam Ash Retards

Me and two former high school buds had a power trio that did a lot more rehearsing than playing. We rehearsed in the basement of the drummer's house which was right next door to - you guessed it - Van Cliburn. :eek:

(Yes, the drummer is doing quite well, thank you.)

We always joked that Van must be gritting his teeth but we never heard a thing from him. :D

Interesting feller. I met him lots of times and was in the Orchestra for the Van Cliburn competition. I saw him MANY times at 1 am at Albertsons on Camp Bowie. He kept the same hours as me. One time he was in there at 1 and was buying all the flowers in the store.:confused::confused::confused:

Interesting feller. I met him lots of times and was in the Orchestra for the Van Cliburn competition. I saw him MANY times at 1 am at Albertsons on Camp Bowie. He kept the same hours as me. One time he was in there at 1 and was buying all the flowers in the store.:confused::confused::confused:
Everything I know about him comes from the newspaper and some of the second-hand chatter from the philanthropic circles. I understand that he is a true gentleman, very personable.

That Albertson's became a Kroger, and finally shut down about a year and a half ago (if it's the one I think you're referring to.) I live close by.

Why is it these places never have cables handy? And yeah, he probably didn't know how to hook it up. I have spent many painful hours watching the very-cooler-than-me sales help at these places try to hook something up. And besides, if he demoed it for the customer that would require the use of a four letter word---WORK!

The employees of Smash and GC rarely know as much about the gear they're selling as I do. So, I always check the return policy and make sure I can bring it back rather than spend time on what usually turns out to be a sub-standard demo in one of these stores.

Best strategy for me has been: Tell 'em what you want to pay, "out the door". Either they'll do it, or not. If not, get online and let your fingers do the walking.

very true.

i only buy stuff i dont feel like waitng a week for from those stores, or an occasional impulse buy haha.

on another note, i dont know if anyone here read my thread about a v69 purchase from GC...but anyways, they got me the shockmount in a timely matter, and i also got a "preffered customer" coupon in the mail today. its only for a free 10' cable or strings or something, but i think it is very good on their part to take the time and send that out to me, the address was even hand written haha....you win this time GC

1, I didnt take the exchange as verbatim

2. I could say " Yo, you need help" and be folksy.:D Its all in the inflection which we do not know.

A poorly run store is a poorly run store. But customer service is SOO 20th century. The only thing I cant tolerate is rudeness. Stupidity I expect.:D Be nice to me and I will buy something.;)

In 25 years of being a pro musician I can only recall one person trying to talk down my fee ( and usually I dont set it, I do union or symphony gigs and I rarely deal with the money). This pushy, arrogant lady tried to get me to go down on my violin lesson price, which was already reasonable. Then she called and talked to my girlfriend and tried to get HER to get ME to lower it.:rolleyes: I eventually find out that the lady lives across the street, in a development where the cheap houses are 3 million.:eek::rolleyes:

People do that stuff with weddings. They say things like "we cant pay you much but think of the exposure".:rolleyes: That stuff just aint my scene: I am an informed consumer, but I dont need to save 3 bucks in tax by depriving some shmoe of a commission. Sam Ash isnt "Da Man", and even if it was, the employee shouldnt have to suffer because some maroon is telling him that "one buck profit is better than none". It's not.

Are we done?

Yeah, we were done 6 hours ago until you revived the thread.:confused:

I see, so were only done when you've had the last word, gotcha! (^:

Awe, go on then - have the last word or 4000, extrapolate away, drop a name or two, throw in a mention of the orchestra again, and we'll definitely be done.

I love Sam Ash, because they don't bother with people that they don't think are going to buy anything, even if that person is obviously contemplating spending a ton of cash on something. When I bought a $1k preamp, I obviously had to get someone to get the unit from the back, so I got the guy who had been standing around talking to other "workers" for the past half hour I was looking at the pre. He wrote his name down on the slip that you take to the front. I told the cashier not to put his name on the commission because getting an item from the back room doesn't count as helping or selling me something. He was walking by at that moment and got the biggest scowl I've ever seen. I smiled and said "thanks again for the help!" and went on my merry way.

no you 100% correct, the consumer is always correct, and smh@him not having cables, or using it as an excuse........

i'm from Jersey so i know thats a true scenario, them New Yorkers will try anything to make a fast dollar..... i would've walked out the store 2 lines into the conversation.....

I see, so were only done when you've had the last word, gotcha! (^:

Awe, go on then - have the last word or 4000, extrapolate away, drop a name or two, throw in a mention of the orchestra again, and we'll definitely be done.

Nah. The only way to end a response like that is to tell you to go fuck yourself, asshole.

It just seems to me that there are people on this thread that understand how customer service really works, and what it looks like when a customer service rep. is doing or not doing his job, and there are people on this thread that have never worked retail before in their life and have no business even speculating anything about why the worker did what he did. If you don't knwo what you're talking about, shut the hell up. Point blank.

I think it's simple enough to say that that particular salesman at Sam Ash was a shitty salesman, and his lack of training, intelligence, product knowledge, and sense of customer support lost him a sale.

When you go into a big box music store, there is an assumed dance that will take place between the customer and the salesman, and a lot of how that dance goes depends on how knowledgeable and cooperative each party is.

A consumer needs to be well informed, but should not expect a salesman to drop his pants and bend over at the first hint of bargaining. Neither should a consumer expect to pay full retail for anything in the store except for low-dollar items, and even those can be negotiated.

It is reasonable to expect a salesman to be passably knowledgeable about products, and cooperative about demos, and willing to budge on the price. If your salesmen doesn't satisfy, either find another or leave the store.

Last edited:
I think it's simple enough to say that that particular salesman at Sam Ash was a shitty salesman, and his lack of training, intelligence, product knowledge, and sense of customer support lost him a sale.

When you go into a big box music store, there is an assumed dance that will take place between the customer and the salesman, and a lot of how that dance goes depends on how knowledgeable and cooperative each party is.

A consumer needs to be well informed, but should not expect a salesman to drop his pants and bend over at the first hint of bargaining. Neither should a consumer expect to pay full retail for anything in the store except for low-dollar items, and even those can be negotiated.

It is reasonable to expect a salesman to be passably knowledgeable about products, and cooperative about demos, and willing to budge on the price. If your salesmen doesn't satisfy, either find another or leave the store.

Check and mate...point set match....end o' discussion...beautifully put.

It just seems to me that there are people on this thread that understand how customer service really works, and what it looks like when a customer service rep. is doing or not doing his job, and there are people on this thread that have never worked retail before in their life and have no business even speculating anything about why the worker did what he did. If you don't knwo what you're talking about, shut the hell up. Point blank.

Here's a sign you can use next time to tell us how you really feel
set1_CHAPLIN3.gif

how-about-a-nice-cup-of-shut-the-fuck-up.GIF

:D

Back