• I liked preamp A best.

Votes: 37 30.3%
  • I liked preamp B best.

Votes: 52 42.6%
  • I couldn't tell the difference.

Votes: 33 27.0%

• Total voters
amra said:
They must have been recorded at the same time, because at 16 seconds you can hear what sounds like a truck driving by...lol.

Yeah I need to get round to plugging that window.

amra said:
Nice acoustic guitar tone, either way.
Yeah!! Nice space for acoustic guitar, but from the sounds of it, you might have mess if you get loud in there... you install any treatment yet? (when I saw those cross irons on the ceiling, my eyes lit up... perfect for panels to capture reflections from the ceiling above and absorb from below... with out killing the room.

TravisinFlorida said:
Barn Owl, I dig that song from your site. Good stuff man.

What song? The preamp test? That's not a song that's just me twiddling about. Or did you find something somewhere else.

I used to use this forum as Handsome Al but the years and the beers have taken their toll so I changed my user name to reflect my new look :)

The preamp test is part of a song written by my friend that has vocals and lyrics. The two guitar sections that I play here are really meant to be played ontop of each other. And probably it'll have fiddles, drums and electric guitars as well. Maybe I'll post it here if I ever finish it.

Keep the votes coming I'm not going to tell you which preamps I used until we've had at least 100 votes and some of the 'big guns' have had their say.

I think "B" might sit better in a mix because of the high end "sparkle," but I also found it a little thin at the top for a solo acoustic sound, so I choose "A" for that.

There, I managed to have it both ways. :D

On a side note, I couldn't hear any difference at all, listening at work through altec lansing PC speakers. Listening at home through studio monitors I could here a definite difference between the two tracks, as well as the afore mentioned truck...

I guess what I am saying is, if you are listening or mixing through pc speakers, go invest in a good set of monitors, because it makes a HUGE difference in what you can hear.

Barn Owl said:
Am I reading you wrong or are you basing your call on the psychology of preamp labeling? Or do you think that preamp A sounds like the go-to pre and preamp B sounds like the new joker.

The psychology of preamp labeling.

Yip same here.

I can't tell them appart through my ipod headphones or my laptop speakers but there is an audible difference through my monitors.

Hard to tell the diff, but i preferred 'B'. Comp speakers etc, tough call.
Daav

Back