Help me convert to rack affects!!!!!!!

read the thread then post

Sorry dude, I'm not trying to belittle or offend. It's just that you're asking questions that are all over the map and I wanted to try to avoid confusion. I think your first post is very revealing for where you're really at.

JIMBOdrummer said:
What is your opinion on the preamp. Some one told me that a midi module would b good...

See how these things get started? :)

Seriously though, I think you've got bigger fish to fry than getting a bunch of outboard effects right now. Everyone here is giving you decent advice.

Follow your signal chain from start to finish to try to figure out what you have. It starts with a good room, good mics, good preamps and converters. And technique. BEFORE you get into outboard reverbs and stuff like that.

Even your MXL mics and your Alesis would sound better in a very well designed acoustic space. So do you have any bass traps or diffusors?

Skip all this garbage and treat your room. Then get a mic, preamp, and limiter, and run that into your DAW. But treat the room first.

..Seriously though, I think you've got bigger fish to fry than getting a bunch of outboard effects right now. Everyone here is giving you decent advice.

Follow your signal chain from start to finish to try to figure out what you have. It starts with a good room, good mics, good preamps and converters. And technique. BEFORE you get into outboard reverbs and stuff like that.

Even your MXL mics and your Alesis would sound better in a very well designed acoustic space. So do you have any bass traps or diffusors?
Exactly.
Im content mixing in logic for now.
That leaves nice pres (how many tracks at once?), a compressor or two? Do you know whether you'll be wanting to eq' on the way in yet? (that usually being a 'tread lightly' step quite a ways down the line..

If you don't know what you "need" and why you "need" it then you should spend your money on some recording classes. Better to learn what you need than buy what you don't need.

There are a thousand recording classes on youtube...it might not be as good as interning like I had to do...but its free and you wont have to clean anybody elses studio.

If you don't know what you "need" and why you "need" it then you should spend your money on some recording classes. Better to learn what you need than buy what you don't need.

well i technically have everything i "need". i've gotten paid to record bands and artists and given then really good tracks. I'm a competent producer i'm just all digital.

Lets restate the point of the thread differently

>>>what devices are better analog. in other words... if you could only have say three outboard devices and the rest digital.. what would be the best choices<<<

It's still just as unanswerable.

so you don't think there is one or two things that are crap in a computer but good on a rack

i know some things are perfectly fine in my logic pro system, but i also know that there are some things that don't sound well when they are computer generated.

given your experience what devices can you REALLY hear the difference between digital and outboard

for instance if i have reverbs on my software is it worth it to get an outboard one or will i notice the difference

i know some things are perfectly fine in my logic pro system, but i also know that there are some things that don't sound well when they are computer generated.

Sounds like you know exactly what you need to get then. Where is the question? You know what you need to get.

Sounds like you know exactly what you need to get then. Where is the question? You know what you need to get.

i have NO IDEA what outboard effects are good and what are bad. if an outboard effect sounds no better that the digital one on my comp then obviously don't need it. but i don't know which ones are no different then the computer ones and which ones sound MUCH better outboard.

so you don't think there is one or two things that are crap in a computer but good on a rack

given your experience what devices can you REALLY hear the difference between digital and outboard

for instance if i have reverbs on my software is it worth it to get an outboard one or will i notice the difference
"It depends."

Everything comes down to the capture. No doubt, I'm an analog nut. But if the front end is there, digital can be perfectly fine.

Monitoring, room treatments, preamps, conversion. If all that is in line and your recordings don't sound absolutely spectacular, it's not the fault of "digital."

Personally? I like to hit tape and pull off the repro heads on the way in. If I can't do that, at the very least, I prefer to sum in analog. I (like Ronan) have a certain affinity toward certain processors - Eventide, Lexicon, etc. And you'll never heard me complaining about (GOOD) analog dynamics.

But all those things considered are worthless unless the core is solid. When you're working with great sounds and using great gear to capture it, certain analog processes (again, dependent on the program material) can add a certain vibe of flavor or what not. If you don't have the front end in line, the monitoring to reproduce it, the room to support the monitoring and the listening skills to translate it all, the fanciest analog gear on the planet is worth a bowl of warm sinus fluid.

Back