Worst Piece(s) of Gear You've Purchased

Son of Mixerman said:
Alto Alpha Tube Mic pre

Yeah, I think I saw in another thread that you had purchased this. I too was lured by the pricetag and the promise of two channels of "tube warmth," which has amounted to little more than noise, even when the tube feature is turned all the way down. I guess it will make a nice doorstop. ;)

noisedude said:
I like my HP printer - best £30 I ever spent on computer stuff. But Packard Bell ... man that stuff is WRONG!
HP makes decent printers. Replacement cartridges are expensive.

HP and Compaq are now same company.

HP makes crappy PC's. Compac makes crappy PC's ... get the picture

It'd be good to see people only talking about gear they'd used as opposed to saying "all Zoom stuff sucks" etc.

My first peice of recording gear was a Zoom recorder and for learning the basics it was fine, it served me well for 18 months or so and then I sold it on ebay for the same price I'd paid for it. I have to say I never heard a zoom pedal I liked tho :D.

My non recommendation would have to be the Samson CO1 LDC. I didn't know much when I bought it (I still don't in fact) but I knew that mic sounded horrible on anything I put in front of it.

Hmm. Worst: Alesis 3630 compressor. I never really got it sounding as good as I'd hoped, but then again, I think my expectations were WAY to high for this little bugger. I will say one thing positive about Alesis though. I own a SR-16 drum machine - thing is still working after 10 years. Yeah, the sounds are a little dated, but for laying down ideas and using it as a MIDI trigger for samples, it kicks along nicely.

Behringer Virtualizer.
by FAR the worst purchase i ever made. impossible to navigate the menus, presets were horrible....could go on and on.

every other peice of behringer gear seems awesome in comparison to this little stinker.

A used Mackie 1202 mixer. Had lots of problems with the inputs and outputs. I had to wiggle wires and actually had to wedge things between the connectors to get them to work. I know it was used, and that's probably why, but when I bought a new mixer recently, I went with Yamaha. And I will never buy anything with the name Behringer on it.

ADAT PCI/EDIT card. Worst piece of trash. I never got the thing to work properly. Now it's sits on a bookshelf waiting for somebody to take it away.

I stopped buying Alesis after that piece of junk.

I must say that I'm getting decent mileage and good results from my Zoom multitrack and Behringer B1 mic but I will say that the Behringer Bass V-Amp Pro lasted about a year then it crapped out.

I also still have my Zoom BFX708 multi effects pedal. I just can't get rid of it.
I've been using a Boss ME-50b but the Zoom has a few sounds that I can't do without. And I think the tuner is better in the Zoom pedal.

Bass V-Amp Pro= shit

A budget microphone stand fabricated in Eastern Europe. It was less than 20 €uros and I ordered it along with some other equipment online. It's just a badly designed stand. The boom is supported by a cheap plastic piece that was broken when I took it out of the box. I was able to superglue it together, so it works.

I'm happy to say though, that I joined this forum before I got into home recording, so all of my major decisions were made as a result of doing research here.

Pre sonus blue max comp. It was ok till I got out of kindergarten recording.

I find them pretty usable if you don't rely on the presets. At the original $150.00 or so they were selling for you might as well pick up an RNC. I've got two and I paid no more than $75 a piece.
Everyones entitled to their opinion though. I just wouldn't dismiss them as un-usable in that price range.

I bought an ART T-28 attack module guitar combo several years back, paid way too much for it. I spent years telling myself it was a good sounding amp. Ugh. What crap. I was so into bells and whistles at that point, I bought it for the built in fx and the cool carbon-fiber cab. Oh and the 12AX7 in the pre, like that made it sound remotely good.

I also paid way too much (maybe $100?) for an arion flanger pedal once, I sold it later for like $30 or something. I was stupid. I don't think I ever played a flanged guitar part once in my life.

The jury is still out on whether my Kustom Tube 12 was a good purchase or not. I don't think I paid more than $50 for it.... i haven't turned it on in a while, though.

Any 12 string acoustic is a waste of money. Everyone goes through a phase where they want a 12 string. Then they get one. Then they never play it. Then after it's sat in it's case with the strings tightened up for six months and the neck is shot, they sell it to a pawn shop for $50 and buy a flanger pedal. Process repeats....

Gibson Epiphone. Never again. I cant even stand to look at one. the neck was twisted, and put me through a year of heck.

Behringer FCA202 - What the hell possessed me to buy that piece of crap. Yeah, I'm skint, but I've got an excuse, I'm a 14 year old kid. But man, that was stupid - I paid £50 for that interface and that was the cheapest I could get, and it's just utter crap, intermittent connections all over the place, and Windows hates firewire, so all in all it probably wasn't a wise buy given my position at the time. But it does look quite pretty :) And in all fairness I was at the time using it with nothing more than an Audiobuddy preamp and whatever freebie software I could so yeah. And it could have just been an individual badly built one, but hey.

Live and learn eh?

Got an Omnistudio (with Delta 66) in the post now, I reckon that'll be pretty good.

Don't get me wrong by the way, Behringer's great most of the time. Yes their equipment isn't incredible, but it's usable and cheap, and it's how I got into recording - otherwise I just wouldn't be able to do it - Behringer stuff gives you the means to get started, and a good set of features, even if they're not good quality. And then you can work your way round your kit list and slowly replace every bit with a better piece of kit that's not a behringer, but it's good for a start.

M-Audio Mid-Air wirelss midi module. Was hoping to use it to wireless/remote my Mackie MCU but the darn thing is only one way wirless. Too pricey for what you get and the range isn't all that great anyways.

I have a new one - I love my Yamaha i88x but it's definitely the worst thing I've ever bought too!

The software is utterly ridiculous and the manual is indecipherable. Just had to re-install it and it took almost an hour to get it working, and that was following every single step from the manual because I remembered how arsey it was.

However, the sound quality over my old Delta 44 is incredible, and the bundled plugins are good so I won't be losing it any time soon. :p

this thing sucks

the Alesis MultiMix 8USB Mixer with USB Audio. the thing is completely fucking useless as any sort of usb-interface. the preamps are shit, and its got pots not faders. i use it only as a ghetto mixer for rehearsals. im too embarrassed to be seen in public with it.

Back