wait...the shure sm58 is actually the shure sm57 with a ball on the end?

But I hear they are the best mic under $100 for rap vocals.

I really don't feel well now...Ugh uh, I need to vomit!

Story shows that rap vocals make people puke. Don't buy used 58's from anyone who has read this thread. In fact, don't buy a used 57/58 from anyone. Hell, they are like $80 a piece new. Budget your guitar picks, not your mics. Get a friggen job, or ask nicely here. You may either get a job, or a free mic. Just depends on how well you rap. Or is it wrap?

We get tired of answering the same question over and over again.
I've never understood why people make this kind of netkopping complaint on various forums...is anyone holding a gun to your head to read the thread or answer the question? Is the very fact that it exists on the board so abhorrent to your sensibilities that you can't bear it?

Nor should any singer be exposed to the last performer who used it. There should be law for this. 58's are a breeding ground for nasty stuff! lol!
If you buy a used one wash the grill thoroughly and change the foam filter - they're replaceable.

I've never understood why people make this kind of netkopping complaint on various forums...is anyone holding a gun to your head to read the thread or answer the question? Is the very fact that it exists on the board so abhorrent to your sensibilities that you can't bear it?

Um, there is a search function.

I myself look at every new post. Every one! When someone actually asks a viable question, it gets answered. When an OP asks a question, and never returns, it is super happy fun playtime for the residents. You think that awaiting noob questions is what we are paid to do? Dood, nobody gets paid to be here. This is a place for all of us recording geeks to get along, and learn from each other.

Tell a good joke next time brassplyer. Welcome to HR. We are not only here to please you, we actually enjoy being here. Just 50% less bitching.

I'm not saying their a bad microphone--but they (and especially the 58) are vastly over-rated.
Overrated by who? People who claim they sound like something they're not? They do what they do. They can be used on and can sound great on a variety of sources. The 58 in particular stands up to a lot of abuse which they might encounter in live venues.

Um, there is a search function.

I myself look at every new post. Every one!
That's your choice. If you whine about every question that's been asked before, you must spend a lot of time whining.

P.S. $5 fine for actually saying "dood".

Overrated by who? People who claim they sound like something they're not? They do what they do. They can be used on and can sound great on a variety of sources. The 58 in particular stands up to a lot of abuse which they might encounter in live venues.

Really man, try not to take things so personally. Pretty Shure most of us have 2 or 7 58's in our locker. Let's have a sense of humor here man.

Welcome Brass! :)

Over-rated by people who declare it an "industry standard" because they see lots of people using them rather than because they listen to them.

Are SM58s usable? Of course. I've spent thousands of hours mixing people who sing into them and, as I said, can do the EQ required to get the best out of them without thinking. They are the most common vocal mic in the world.

However, my beef is that far, far too often people grab an SM58 without considering alternatives that could sound considerably better for them.

The SM58 never sounds "great". It's strength is being adequate and predicable, nothing more.

....and I'd already pointed out how tough the SM58 is. That can be a big plus in live venues--but it's not a good reason to use a mediocre mic in a home recording situation!

That's your choice. If you whine about every question that's been asked before, you must spend a lot of time whining.

Where the hell did you come up with whining, you little punk? I'm not having a good day, and you sir, are about to piss me off.

Welcome to HR, and I hope to hear more inspiring words from you. There is no stock smiley for you.

REALLY BIG SMILE FOR YOU!

You should really do some research before pissing off a nice guy like me.

Really man, try not to take things so personally...Let's have a sense of humor here man...dood.

That's better.

Truce?

My name is Jimmy

Nice to meet you brassplyer.

Ironically, I have a very close friend that you may have lots in common with. He is an amazing horn player. Well, he is hired as such anyway. Not my particular genre, but a brother of mine nonetheless.

How about we start over?

:D

My point being that they could take the time out of their day to google this and get a faster response, and then we don't have to see the same question over and over again.
No need for being self-righteous, sir.

Oh yeah, I have an extra $10 handy. Just send me your PayPal account email. Dood. :)

Actually I have an extra $200. Dood Dood Dood Dood Dood Dood Dood.

Are we there yet dood? LOL!

I am kidding man. Let's be friends k?

If you need the money, I will send it to you. I always pay my debts, even if for fun. :)

I will add now that I have had a very horrible week. My son was killed, and I may be over reacting to new guys posting. If I am out of line, then I apologize. I'm not usually an ass. Well unless you deserve it. My judgment may be a bit corrupt at this point. Somebody take this keyboard away from me today!!

57 is basically a 58 without a condom. Or helmet I suppose is more accurate. Both have been used in adult films. Well, those freaky kind that FOH guys share. :)

I apparently have to spread some love around before giving it to you again (lol) but that made me laugh out loud, quite literally. And don't let that dude get under your skin...

@brassplayer: Some people really get into helping others out on forums (or IRC, or whatever)...it makes them feel good to spend their time helping others. Sometimes those people get irritated when they feel like somebody is looking for a handout, rather than spending a few minutes of their own time using readily available resources. Im not taking a stand either way - you said you don't understand it - I do...maybe you will now.

Back