Ribbon MXL R144 Microphone Preamp?

You're probably over thinking it. ;)
It's still good to understand what you have and how it works.
You only get the blow that ribbon once. :p

Just keep phantom off. If you ever turn it on for a condenser, switch it off when you're done and let the supply drain before unplugging the condenser.
That's good practice anyway.

Anyway, I placed an order on 'Zon for the TASCAM. That may be all I'll need - but if not, I can always get the Cloudlifter later.

Someday, I'll drag this thread back up to let everyone who participated know how it's working out for me.

Thanks again for all the input.

Geezer

Anyway, I placed an order on 'Zon for the TASCAM. That may be all I'll need - but if not, I can always get the Cloudlifter later.

Someday, I'll drag this thread back up to let everyone who participated know how it's working out for me.

That's the way to do it.
Best of luck. :)

You're probably over thinking it. ;)
It's still good to understand what you have and how it works.
You only get the blow that ribbon once. :p

Just keep phantom off. If you ever turn it on for a condenser, switch it off when you're done and let the supply drain before unplugging the condenser.
That's good practice anyway.

Thanks. Good advice. Glad I joined this Forum. There will probably be some other threads I'll want to read for information.

Thanks again for all the help!

Geezer

Thanks again for all the input.

Geezer

Good to hear. Look forward to hearing back from you. :)

I'd try and record the trombone without the cloudlifeter first given how loud they are .
you may find you dont need that extra 20db of gain.
Just saying.

I'd try and record the trombone without the cloudlifeter first given how loud they are .
you may find you dont need that extra 20db of gain.
Just saying.

Agreed. I could also try taking off the metal "pop filter" surrounding the mic, if the output volume is too low.

I'll update this thread when I have something worthy.

OBTW: I see that I now have more than the required minimum 10 posts that now allows me to put in an external link. Here is me - playing the Big, Bad VooDoo Daddy classic, "Zoot Suit Riot". It was recorded with a Zoom Q3 in my little musak studio:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dF6ue15E-6M

I think you can see why I want to go with a better recording medium, eh?

Thanks,
Geezer

Last edited:
Please, don't be talking about the mics grill?!?!

Cool video. Thanks for sharing! :)

Thanks! Going to a higher level of audio will sacrifice video. Although I really don't want sacrifice the video, I want a higher quality audio right now because I think I sound better than what the Zoom Q3 portrays and I want to explore that possibility. Maybe there will be opportunities for me to swap between the Zoom Q3 and the pure audio - depending on what I am doing at the time.

Anyway, I have been playing for one year, so there is still a lot of head room - even for a geezer like me. :) :) :) :)

Geezer

Yeah. Naked ribbon microphones are not sexy!

Tru' dat! Fugly is the local expression for such things.

But seriously, DON'T TAKE OFF THE GRILL! :eek:

I'm sure there's some threads around here about basic "do's and don't's of ribbon mics" but if not, just google it. I own a couple of ribbons now and although i'm much more comfortable handling them now than i was when i first got them, i still treat them like a new born, haemophiliac baby!

Hmmmmmmmmm. Now you guys have me really curious. What's inside a Ribbon mic that you don't want me to see? Huh? A camera! That's gotta be it. Where's my tools! :) :) :) :)

Geezer

Haha.
There are a few reasons, but the grill is not optional. Taking it off just isn't something people do.

With a ribbon, a sneeze or a cough can be enough to destroy it. Have you seen a ribbon motor?
The element is literally a 2-3mm wide strip of foil, but it's about a thou the thickness of alu foil.

Also, the metal grills on a microphone provide electromagnetic shielding. Look up faraday cage.
If you take that off, pretty much any mic will just buzz and hum at you.

Now, sometimes people remove a layer of mesh from multi layer grills. That's different; You still maintain electrical continuity between a grill and the mic body.

Haha.
There are a few reasons, but the grill is not optional. Taking it off just isn't something people do.

With a ribbon, a sneeze or a cough can be enough to destroy it. Have you seen a ribbon motor?
The element is literally a 2-3mm wide strip of foil, but it's about a thou the thickness of alu foil.

Also, the metal grills on a microphone provide electromagnetic shielding. Look up faraday cage.
If you take that off, pretty much any mic will just buzz and hum at you.

Now, sometimes people remove a layer of mesh from multi layer grills. That's different; You still maintain electrical continuity between a grill and the mic body.

That's a very good explanation and reason NOT to tinker with it. I have a clip-on pop filter I bought with the mic. I may need to use it to shield the mic from the percussive blast of articulation that a brass wind instrument can deliver.

I'll also need to tinker with mic placement - in relationship to the pre-recorded playback materials I'll be using and me, playing live. No doubt it will involve a different arrangement than what I have worked out with my Zoom Q3.

Geezer

Make sure you have a sturdy stand for that mic too. You dont want to knock the stand over giving it some with your arm outstretched on the bone.
I always bag my ribbon when moving it around or when its not in use. Incase the kids burst in the door and cause a massive bout of air pressure. I love my ribbon i aint taking any chances. Sooner or later i'll get it modded but i'm happy with it so it can wait.
Steeno had his done and its awesome.
Nice video btw.
Did i say welcome to the forum already.

That's a very good explanation and reason NOT to tinker with it. I have a clip-on pop filter I bought with the mic. I may need to use it to shield the mic from the percussive blast of articulation that a brass wind instrument can deliver.

I'll also need to tinker with mic placement - in relationship to the pre-recorded playback materials I'll be using and me, playing live. No doubt it will involve a different arrangement than what I have worked out with my Zoom Q3.

Geezer

I'm not too familiar with the recording of brass so I don't know how big a problem air blasts are.
If it's a concern a pop filter will help for sure, and another technique is to turn the mic off axis slightly.

Make sure you have a sturdy stand for that mic too. You dont want to knock the stand over giving it some with your arm outstretched on the bone.
I always bag my ribbon when moving it around or when its not in use. Incase the kids burst in the door and cause a massive bout of air pressure.

massive +1 on a decent, solid mic stand and only moving the mic in the little bag (even if it's on the stand and you're moving it all around). never have i had the fear more than when having to use a ribbon mic on a half knackered, floppy mic stand. fortunately it held but my heart will never fully recover from beating that fast for so long.

Back