Must spend money rather than become talented

cordura21 said:
Hey Harvey, why do you point the diaphragm to the floor? And would you do the same with a dynamic like an SM57?
With most measurement mics, there is an on-axis flat response, so I aim the mic down so that the flat response position just grazes the lower bout of the guitar. An omni is like a bare lightbulb (with a small laser affixed to the very top of the bulb). A figure 8 pattern is like a bulb with a lampshade on it (light comes out the top and bottom of the lampshade). A cardioid pattern is like a small reading lamp (light basically comes out of just the front).

Harvey Gerst said:
With most measurement mics, there is an on-axis flat response, so I aim the mic down so that the flat response position just grazes the lower bout of the guitar. An omni is like a bare lightbulb (with a small laser affixed to the very top of the bulb). A figure 8 pattern is like a bulb with a lampshade on it (light comes out the top and bottom of the lampshade). A cardioid pattern is like a small reading lamp (light basically comes out of just the front).

Very helpful illustration. Thanks.

hey, maybe I'm pulling it too far, but:

wouldn't it be better to mike it from below pointing to the roof, to avouf the quick rebound in the floor?

I understand it's less practical and even dangerous for the mic.

Back