Last step of setting up a home studio!

kkh961216

Hi guys!

I have everything else for the home studio, and all that's left is a mic :3 I have a bit more than 1k for budget, but I'd like to keep the price under 1k.

I'm a high tenor, male, looking for a mic that sounds warm, especially in the higher ranges. I will give any additional information as needed!

Thanks for the help!

----
I have in mind the AT 4047-AT4050, AKG c414 xls, and the Rode K2, but none of these seems to have perfect reviews :/

No mic will have perfect reviews. Where are you reading reviews by the way? Some people REALLY don't know what they are talking about.

I always find it interesting that cheap, starter equipment has such "great" reviews, and then when you see reviews for higher quality gear, they are more in depth and critical. The best thing to do would be to try out the mics and see for yourself. It's hard to even recommend a mic without hearing your voice. A high tenor male is an OKAY description. We don't know your tone and projection though.

hi! most of the reviews I've been reading are from forums, and occasionally, from sellers (which I dont really take to the heart). As for trying out mics, I cant seem to find anywhere here that has a decent reputation for selling musical equipments, let alone mics.

um.... I guess the best I can do to describe is: High tenor, without a clue on how to describe tone, and projection is pretty loud when it's in the right range.

Thanks for the help, I think I can kind of see who does and who doesnt know what they're talking about in those forums now, since I know they're there.

As said, no mic will have perfect reviews for a few reasons.
The akg c414 is considered to be a great all-rounder microphone though.
It's very much a 'safe' mic that you can pull out and assume that it'll be at least fine on most sources.

Personally I have a thing for dynamic mics. You might look at the Sm7b?
They're very well priced, and if you don't like it, they hold their value well.

Where are you based? Maybe you could road test some mics at a local store or studio?

Well... I guess it's more that they contradict... one says that 4047 is bright, and another says it's dark....

Dynamic mics :/ My friend had a few, and more personally, I didnt like the look of them xD Maybe I'll try them to see how I like them

I'm in Canada Richmond Hill, and I cant seem to find any nearby local store/studios .... Thanks though, I might try finding it again.

Don't let looks get in the way. :D

So you're a tenor? What type of songs would you sing? Can you give examples? How big is the room you're recording in?

Well... I guess it's more that they contradict... one says that 4047 is bright, and another says it's dark..

I can understand that. Keep in mind these people are forming opinions of microphones in uncontrolled environments.
The room, preamp, recording medium, and even source play a huge part in the final outcome, as I'm sure you know.

Anyway, yeah, don't rule anything out on looks,
Testing mics out first hand is the only surefire way to know what's what.

Hi!

Are you just recording your own voice? Or is it to be a general purpose thing to be used on lots of sources?

>"Dynamic mics .... Maybe I'll try them to see how I like them"

Keep in mind that the quality of dynamics varies from total junk to excellent, with all shades in between. So don't tar them all with the same brush.
Also, you can by a top notch dynamic like an SM7b or Electrovoice RE20 for the price of a mid-range condenser.

Also, (and I have to say this!!)... don't forget about ribbon mics. $1K might just about get you a Coles 4038, which is a wonderful microphone.

Finally, if you are thinking of spending that much on a mic, and have little experience with mics, then you really need to hire a studio for a couple of hours and try some models out. You might even learn some recording trick too!

Cheers!

Stewart

Yes! Just myself. So, if I go for a SM7B, I still have 8 to 9 hundred left for another. What should I go for with the rest of my money? And do dynamic mics just plug like condensers?

Thanks for the helps!

Yes! Just myself. So, if I go for a SM7B, I still have 8 to 9 hundred left for another. What should I go for with the rest of my money? And do dynamic mics just plug like condensers?

Thanks for the helps!

Why not just put it in your pocket.
All being well, you won't need another.

Yes, dynamic mics plug in 'just like condensers'. :)

Lots of people love the sm7b. Its on my one day list.
try one out, your local studio's bound to have one. Hire them for a few hours and see what you like.

Buy 2 mics, a dynamic and a condenser. On your budget, I'd buy Shure SM7b and Neumann TLM103. That puts you a little over a grand, but gives you options. Dynamics and condensers are like the yin and yang of microphones, like a pickup truck and a sports car. Often, one will work when the other doesn't. If you really want to be under a grand, substitute AT4050 for the Neumann. The Neumann will give you the high end detail you want, and the SM7b won't record the fact that you had a carbonated beverage an hour ago.

Buy 2 mics, a dynamic and a condenser. On your budget, I'd buy Shure SM7b and Neumann TLM103. That puts you a little over a grand, but gives you options. Dynamics and condensers are like the yin and yang of microphones, like a pickup truck and a sports car. Often, one will work when the other doesn't. If you really want to be under a grand, substitute AT4050 for the Neumann. The Neumann will give you the high end detail you want, and the SM7b won't record the fact that you had a carbonated beverage an hour ago.

Do ya mean the Neumann TLM102? The 103 is over a grand on it's own! :eek:

That makes me wonder, wouldn't I be better off with a better condenser by itself instead of getting two?

There aren't just better and worse mics. There are also right mics and wrong mics. Instead of a sports car and a pickup, shouldn't you just get a better sports car? On the day you have to move a piano, the answer is no.

Back