Having your Condenser Mic UPSIDE down.....

un1que

i was watching kanye west's "making the album" 2 day on tv(plus many other recording studios)....and i noticed they always have the mic upside down...my friend said it makes it sound better....is this true............???????i want some tips...

i have a question actually. I'm pretty new to this recording hobby, and I left my microphone out on its stand, right side up for a couple days, not knowing that I should have covered it. I'm just curious as to how much dust could have collected, and if it will affect performance? I know it's a dumb question, but I can't help but wonder.

1 hanging a mike upside down has little effect. But it looks cool.

2 Leaving a mike on its stand for a couple of days likewise has little effect. However, putting a mike away after use (which I rarely do) is a sensible thing to do.

Or a smoker.

For TUBE mics, putting it upside down lets the heat go up away from the mic element. When I had my AT4033a, I tried it up and down and very little difference. I thought it sounded better right side up, but I'm a trombone player that angles the horn downwards. Having the mic upside does have other potentials. i.e. Dust and if outdoors in the rain, the mic body can act as an umbrella. Assuming all other precautions have been taken. i.e. electrical tape around the cable connection and switches, fake fur, and other don't want to break your good mic(s), but still need results even though and in spite of.

For ribbon mics you want to alternate it's orientation to compensate for the affects of gravity and time on the ribbon element.

I think it's just strange and unusual so it looks cool ..... but in reality it is just to keep the recording/work space at a maximum.

Also, at least in theory, a slight upwards tilt of your head opens your airway maximally, which should improve vocal production.

i have a question actually. I'm pretty new to this recording hobby, and I left my microphone out on its stand... I should have covered it. ..
Zip lock bags. Apparently they're tight enough to keep the dust away, loose enough to breathe a little.

If you use a condenser mic "right side up," the air heated by the preamp will rise up to the diaphragm, thereby warming up your track.

Or not.

Back