D12 Reissue?

Seafroggys

I got my musician's friend catalog in the mail, was checking it out, had a little mini feature on microphones for different applications. Under their short list of good drum mics, their top choice was...an AKG D12 reissue mic.

Now I've always heard about how awesome the D12 mic was, and that the D112 pales in comparison. Does anybody know how long AKG has been making the reissue, if its similar to the original, and how is it different from the D112? Its $500, which is a pretty penny especially for a dynamic mic. I already own a D112 and a Beta 52, so I probably don't have the need for another bass mic, but if its worth it....well, I could always sell the D112, seeing as its been about 2-3 years since I've used it.

It's a reuse of the name for sure but I don't think anyone would claim that the d112 or the d12vr are replacements for the d12 in terms of how they sound.

I own a d112 and two d12s (one for sale) along with a host of other big dynamic mics.
The d112 and d12 aren't even in the same ballpark let alone similar.
The d12 isn't even really similar to any of the mics I have.

There are situations where I could use an sm7b OR an md421, but when you want a d12, nothing else (that I have) will do.

I don't have first hand experience with the VR but I read a lot of reviews and none of them led be to believe it compares to the original d12.

Bottom line: Don't buy a VR because of the awesome reviews of the original mic. Buy it on the strength of its own reviews.

Thanks, I should have checked the web first before posting. It doesn't look promising, and it definitely doesn't look worth the price. Darn.

Back