AKG d112 or Shure Beta 52?

• AKG d112

Votes: 29 46.0%
  • Shure Beta 52

Votes: 22 34.9%
  • Other

Votes: 12 19.0%

• Total voters
I use the D112 for a bunch of stuff, even kick. It was designed for standup bass, a job it does very well. I use it for the bottom (hole) mic on Djembe with a C414 on top. I use it for mic'ing the back of an open guitar cab. It is also, surprisingly, a pretty good voiceover mic for a real deep voice. BTW, no one has mentioned Audix D6, which is a pretty good kick mic. I like the D112 not because it is a good kick mic, but because it is a pretty good dynamic mic that's good on kick. I can't really afford mics that have only one use. That's also why EV RE20 rocks. It's great on kick, bit that is just one of its many uses.-Richie

The D112 and Beta 52 are both great low frequency mics.
Lately, my kick setup has been.

MD412 inside of the kick right at the beaters,
D112 barely inside kick drum hole.
KCM-25 Ribbon Outside of kick about 18 inches in front.

If I was going to use a Beta-52 I'd place it outside the kick, dead center on the resonate head, or use it without a resonate head, half in half out of the drum.

The Beta 52 is a super flat mic. I love it on bass guitar amps and horns, and sometimes on kick drums to get the boom/woof sound.

Just to refresh the topic..
I own both (i had beta for year now, and d112 i've bouth 2days ago). When i compare these 2 mics, i've been dissapointed in d112. At the same place in the bass drum, beta had in all cases fater, better sound. The click, was the same but beta had that fat bass drum fundamental and timber that i need so when gate is applyed you have alot of meat to work with. Now, i just need to find good application for d112 in drum recording :D (probably for my 16" Ddrum floor tom :D)

I've narrowed my kick mic wishlist down to these two mics. Which one is your favorite? I'm looking for a tight metal style kick sound.

DUDE AKG D112 IS THE SIGNATURE METAL KICK DRUM SOUND!!!!!!!!
I used a beta 52 live for a while, didnt like it. For me it had hardly any high end and sounds a bit muffled. The akg is a kick ass kick drum, plenty of crunchy pnchy upper mids (3K).. Always sounded fat on everyting I heard it on. And I head is good for vox, toms, bass cabs.....etc... Shure suck in my opinion but hey...

Back