AKG d112 or Shure Beta 52?

• AKG d112

Votes: 29 46.0%
  • Shure Beta 52

Votes: 22 34.9%
  • Other

Votes: 12 19.0%

• Total voters
For lots of things. Second kick drum for double bass kits, as a second mic on guitar amps and bass cab but for the most part I prefer bass going direct.

Butting in....

I dont like the D112 on bass cabs....unless its a thin bass cab. Everytime I tried it, I had to eq so much low end out or eq the bass to sound like a guitar. To hell with that!;)

4033's work...especially in conjunction with a 57.....really!

Tried an NTK.....that worked as well.

Direct can be nice but my bass player has a distinct sound that the amp is part of.

Sonixx used the D112 on his floor tom....that sounded good.

heylow

heylow said:
4033's work...especially in conjunction with a 57.....really!
Do you use the Sm57 on the snare, or the kick too?
Add 2 ecm8000's, and i think you're set for decent drumrecording, eh?

Speeddemon said:

Do you use the Sm57 on the snare, or the kick too?
Add 2 ecm8000's, and i think you're set for decent drumrecording, eh?

Oh....

Man, I was on a bass recording tirade right there. I was talking about bass cabs....got sidetracked.

However. I DO use a 57 on snares, usually a pair of 4033s or ECM8000s for OH, and then I was using the D112 for kick but I've been trying things out instead like a dynamic (d112, 57) inside the kick JUST for attack and then a condenser like a 4033 a few feet out to get a more open kick sound...still experimenting.

I'm about to get a few more mics, so we'll see where that takes me.;)

heylow

I have yet to say "yeah, that's it!" with my Beta-52. I'm actually thinking of swapping it my Sennheiser 421 which is on the floor tom. I don't have a head on the front of the kick though, so I wonder if that would add more definition to the sound. I'm thinking about getting a head with a hole in it...

Right on. I have a drummer friend who owns a Beta 52 and a 26" kick drum, well tuned, with a hole cut in the front head. He gets a great fucking sound. I can post some clips sometime, though I'm at work right now.

The poll results might favour the d112 a bit more because its been around a lot longer and been recomended for years by everyone. I was in the position last year to try both and then buy the one I liked. I prefered the 52 but the d112 sounded good too. The 52 gave more detail IMHO. No one has posted any examples yet so I will post one. This song was recorded using the beta 52 through echo mona preamps (I don't use these preamps any more) with not much eq at all. I found that the 52 works best right in the middle of the kick about 3 inches to one side pointing directly at the beater hit point, about 4 to 6 inches away from the skin.
By the way I also tried the new beta57 thinking it would be like the classic 57 only better. And it wasn't. But the beta 52 is cooool.

Scott Tansley
www.feel-rock.com

Overall I prefer the 52...it just seems like better tone across the board, but the D112 is very effective if all you want to do is metal (tight kick with a click). I can get the same effect with the 52 and some EQ, but D112 seems to be easier for that tone...

For more boom or hit (not the actual click), the 52 is it!

I also dig the RE20's and really like MD421's

Anybody ever use an ElectroVoice ND868 kick mic? I used one once and got what I thought was a pretty nice, full sound out of it ... but I don't have much experience with miking drums and nothing else to compare it to.

Ya?

I was wondering about the EV my self. And once again from what I know, in the right hands the 52 is capeable of more. In the average hands go for the akg. From everyone I have talked to the AKG is way easier to work with.

later

F.S.

Which kick mic is like what color should I use to paint a picture.

For most rock music the D112 is great. For lighter rock and country I might go with the Beta 52, for jass the RE-20, for punk or metal maybe the good old SM-57. It all depens on the sound you want to get. When it comes to kick mics, rent them and try them out untill you find the sound you want.

To Garak.

I agree with you on the painting analogy. If I were to do a jazz band, I would use a Marshall 603 or Marshall 2001. They seem to sound real natural to me. You mentioned a 57 for punk, but have you ever tried an Audix D2? They have that Ryan Greene clicky attack thing happening.

what no fet 47 choice? :D i love both the beta 52 and the d112 but if you can find it i like the d12 better shhh its a secret mic thing with the gearslutz

ive used both and like the beta 52 for deep thump and the d112 for beater snap

Back