Whats everyone using for amps?

What amp do you prefer?

• Total voters

Guitarfreak585

Anybody using anything cool? I always like to see what people are using for what. Ideally I'd like to have an old Fender amp for a clean tone, and use my BlueVoodoo head and Krank cab for my dirty tone, but I cant really justify spending the cash on the old Fender and then lugging it around to shows etc.

This is my rig though. I'm quite proud of it! I've had it forever so I've got it sounding just like I want it. And my dad and I have recovered it several times. this time in a tan colored baby alligator skin. :)

iPhonepics027.jpg

iPhonepics028.jpg

iPhonepics033.jpg

I would have sympathy for the baby alligator except that had it grown up and I tripped over in front of it, it would have no sympathy for me.

For my bass I use a Fender musicman and for the guitar, a Line 6 spider thingy. Both are as close to top of the range as Scunthorpe is to the moon but they do the job and for no money down.

I've been a Fender man for a long time. However, i've owned Marshall, Peavey, Crate and even Dean Markley amps. I love my 65 Princeton, it's great for recording, but for more volume i just recently purchased a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe III. The clean sounds are nice and warm, but the overdrive channel gets a B-. The reverb is a bit washy as well, but it feedbacks great and has a very tight low end.

Oh yeah, that amp looks awesome. If it sounds half as good as it looks.....

I've voted Marshall because that's what I'm using - a TSL 100 with a 4x12. I don't really know what I want, to be honest. Over here in England, Blackstar valve amps are flying off the shelves.

Its not real skin, lol. Just a vinyl with a 3d pattern on top. Still kinda expensive though. Lucky dad gets the stuff at wholesale haha. Didnt really take that much material though. I've had the amp long enough that I've got it sounding like I want it to. I had to add a BBE sonic maximizer to it to get that sound though, lol. Cleans everything up soooo nicely. Will never play without it again.

I used to have a Hot Rod deluxe actually, lol. Love the clean tone, but that was about the time I started getting into hard rock and stuff so i got the blue voodoo. The dirty channel just didnt do what i wanted it to. Great for everything else though.

I used older silverface Fenders years ago. Had a Pro Reverb & Twin Reverb that I liked a lot, and a Princeton Reverb that I regret selling still.
Switched over to a Mesa Boogie Mk III and have been extremely satisfied.
I will say I miss my old Princeton Reverb. Port City Amplification makes a neat little combo amp called the "Twelve". When I get money to replace the Princeton, that's what I'll purchase.

I use an old JCM900 4100 into a 1960 cabinet. It's been retubed a few times and fiddled with by the techs who like to "make it better" with new caps. moving wiring etc. Sounds the same to me lol... If it dies before I do, I will buy a JVM 410.

I picked 'others', but really I own them all, and some 'others'. Having just one amp is kinda like having just one mic. ;)
Whatever the song calls for, in my twisted logic, is what I haul out. And sometimes it can be a POD UX-2. It's always different, so my songs don't all have the same sound. Same with guitars. If I want a poppin' chicken pickin' tone, it could be a Tele into a Deluxe Reverb with a Dyna Comp cranked. It's a sound. More hard rock tones? A Les Paul into a Marshall JCM800. You can't beat it. But I also have Strats, as well as a few different basses and bass amps. They all have a sound, and I'll mix and match to get something different, and not for the sake of being different. Sometimes, 'different' makes me think and play.................. well, different, and if I'm in a rut, it's the ticket to a fresh outlook.

I know Fender/Marshall/etc is more widely known, but your poll choices are rather limited considering that there have never been as many amp brands/models in the history of guitar amps as there are today.
None of mine are up there in the poll....this is my lineup.

Rivera - Chubster 40
Carr - Hammerhead MKII
Tungsten - Creme Cortez
Swart - Super Space Tone
THD - Flexi 50
Top Hat - Club Royale
Dr. Z - Route 66
Savage - Macht 12X

Theres only so many poll spots, and I'd be a fool to think I'd ever think of all of them. So I just picked the more common ones I think. I forgot Vox as one of the more common ones, but theres hundreds of other companies plus "boutique" amps to boot. Bogner, Diezel, Matchless, Dr. Z, Sunn, Line 6, Roland, whatever. Thats why I put "other" hahahaha.

Rivera Quianna 55w 212
Victoria 512
Chopped/modded Leslie
Fender Twin 73 master volume. Needs caps/tubes/output tranny. :(
Just added KRK 10s subwoofer. Kicks ass with Moog Taurus 3 and Voyager and P-Bass.

I have two: a Vox AC30CC2X and an Egnager modular rack-mounted preamp paired with a Randall RT2/50 power amp. All tube.

I use both for recording. The Vox is my primary for rehearsal and my backup for live; it is loaded with Celestion Blues and is very sweet.

The Egnater has four 2-channel modules for a total of 8 channels. The preamp modules are the Fender Deluxe, Vox AC30 TB, Marshall Silver Jubilee, and Dumble Overdrive (known in Egnater-speak as DLX, VX, SL2X, and COD). The Randall power amp is switchable, 50W/ch with one side using 6L6 finals and the other side using 6550 finals. For this rig my cabinet is an open-back 2 X 12 loaded with 1 Weber Silver Bell and 1 Weber Blue Dog.

I know Fender/Marshall/etc is more widely known, but your poll choices are rather limited considering that there have never been as many amp brands/models in the history of guitar amps as there are today.
None of mine are up there in the poll....this is my lineup.

Rivera - Chubster 40
Carr - Hammerhead MKII
Tungsten - Creme Cortez
Swart - Super Space Tone
THD - Flexi 50
Top Hat - Club Royale
Dr. Z - Route 66
Savage - Macht 12X
you've got some nice stuff mang .......... I salute you.

you've got some nice stuff mang .......... I salute you.

Thanks!

I'm going to probably sell either the THD (or the Top Hat, not sure yet which), because I just picked up the Swart SST, which set me back a bit, and I don't really have the room for yet one more amp (until I can clear out some other stuff from the studio :D ).
I've gotten in a bit deeper with amps than I have in the past or planned to...but I wanted a few really nice, high-end amps...stuff I'm going to keep for a long time. I'm pretty happy with what I have now.

I hate the idea of selling the THD, it's a great amp, but I can get what I want out of the others and the space it was occupying was just right for the Swart SST. The Top Hat is my only EL84 amp...so I may hold on to it just because of that over the THD, though I don't play it a lot, as I prefer my EL34 and 6V6 amps, but it's one of the early Club Royale versions, and I had it back at Top Hat a couple of years ago for a new power tranny and Brian also upgraded a few other components...so the amp is minty-mint right now and it's a cool little 112 combo.

Thanks!

I'm going to probably sell either the THD (or the Top Hat, not sure yet which), because I just picked up the Swart SST, which set me back a bit, and I don't really have the room for yet one more amp (until I can clear out some other stuff from the studio :D ).
I've gotten in a bit deeper with amps than I have in the past or planned to...but I wanted a few really nice, high-end amps...stuff I'm going to keep for a long time. I'm pretty happy with what I have now.

I hate the idea of selling the THD, it's a great amp, but I can get what I want out of the others and the space it was occupying was just right for the Swart SST. The Top Hat is my only EL84 amp...so I may hold on to it just because of that over the THD, though I don't play it a lot, as I prefer my EL34 and 6V6 amps, but it's one of the early Club Royale versions, and I had it back at Top Hat a couple of years ago for a new power tranny and Brian also upgraded a few other components...so the amp is minty-mint right now and it's a cool little 112 combo.
the amp that I would immediately grab if someone said I could have any of them is that SWART.

In fact ....... that's the thing that caught my eye at first and made me look closer.
They make some wonderful stuff. And cool looking as hell.
I used to have a Top Hat and a Bad Cat too , ( I've always associated the two for some reason) but they went away as they were both too damned heavy. But great amps.

Back