The New Tone Thread

No toans today guys, but I did order my 1/4" jacks....ordered 4 of 'em just in case I need another one later....I also bought a little soldering station, with the alligator clips so I don't burn my fingers trying to hold this shit...hahaha

The jacks & soldering station are supposed to be here by the end of the week, so hopefully around Friday or so, I'll have the Greenback/V30 speakers in the cab, & will be able to record some toans with 'em...

Still pretty fuckin' disappointed about the ISO cab, but there's still hope, I did fire up my DSL-1H last night with it, & it makes for a pretty good, low-volume/almost silent practice rig, that to me, is way better than using an ampsim. I just play different when I'm using a real amp, can't explain it, it's just different...

Gotta run, literally....see you guys after while...

minerman,

A friend of mine gave me an iso box to try out last week and I'm giving it back to him this Saturday; I think they suck big time too.

I would just run your DSL1 into a 4x12 as a practice rig; its the only way to get that open sound.
Still loving my JVM1 & JCM1's over here, I wish I would have kept my DSL1 too!

WW: Not all of 'em suck dude, the one I built was pretty decent really....It just looked like shit, was big, heavy, & a pain in the ass to move around...It actually sounded 10 times better than the Randall I bought, but, live & learn...I'm still gonna keep it to use with my 1w amp, I can record my di's with it, then re-amp 'em later through my big amps when I'm able to crank up...I know I could do this with my ampsims, but it just ain't the same. I play different when I use my amps vs. the ampsims, & it even feels different, even if I'm only hearing through my headphones...Again, live & learn...

Still drooling over another cab or two, I'd really like to have a Greenback cab...I could get one from zZounds for about $100/month for a year...They sent me an e-mail with a few things I'd like to have, that are on the 12-payment thing (I've bought stuff from 'em before)....The deal ends Nov 11, so I may just say fuck it, & pop on a Greenback 4x12..

Or, I could go this route:

Sourmash 2x12

Which would probably sound as good as a 4x12 mic'd up for a lot less $$$....It'd even "fit" my Chupacabra's size (width anyway), & with the closed back, would probably pump out almost as much low-end as a 4x12....hmmm....

GAS is a terrible, terrible thing guys....:laughings:.

minerman lives on the other side of deliverance though, so his options are limited. :D

Lol......that's funny dude....the 4x12 I bought back in the summer from GC, I had it shipped to the brunette's workplace, because it was delivered on an 18-wheeler...It was actually where she lived too, she worked in a gas station/convenience store, & had a little apartment in the back of the building...

I guess if I found a used cab from GC, I could have it shipped to their closest store, & pick it up myself...It'd be about a 3-4 hour drive each way though...

Yes, it sucks living in the fuckin' boonies in a way, but, it's also cool in ways too...

I'm the last guy to try to diffuse anyone's GAS, but ask yourself....do you really want another cab? Or do you just want different speakers?

If noise is a concern, another 4x12 surely won't help with that. I think your re-wiring split-cab idea is good for recording. It would suck for live use, but you don't play live.

And if you've unfortunately settled on the iso-cab being useless for meaningful recording, then it doesn't much matter what speaker you keep in there. Put your best/favorite speakers wherever you're most likely to record them for keeps and roll with it.

You know what dude, you're right....fuck it....I've got the back off my cab right now, gonna stick the GB/V30 in there & wire 'em up....I'll replace the jacks tomorrow night when I get in from work, they'll be here sometime tomorrow....I'm gonna leave either the extra V30 or T75 in the ISO cab for recording di's late at night, or practice...Pics to come.....

Ok....got the Greenback & V30 in my 4x12.....you know, it's a good thing I actually fucked with this today, the switch on my cab doesn't even work properly...I wired the speakers up (Greenback/V30 on the right side, T-75's on the left, wired it so I'll have 16 ohms on either side...), & was flipping the switch to change speakers, & guess what...all 4 of 'em work no matter what...so, I took the back off the cab again, & just disconnected the T-75's until the 1/4" jacks arrive tomorrow....Probably saved me some damage to my amps by finding this out...As usual, you were right Gerg, the pcb switch/jackplate that comes stock on these cabs are pure shit....

Here's a pic:

Anyway, here's a short shitty clip of the Greenback & '57...

Signal chain:

LP > Chupa > Greenback > '57

Resonance: 1
Presence: 7
Bass: 8
Mid: 4
Treble: 7
Master: 5
Gain 2: 2
Gain 1: 6
Era: 80's
Bright 2: L
Bright 1: C

Half of a 4x12

I didn't crank the amp, as I'm not sure the Greenback could handle it. With the V30 in the cab, it might, but I don't wanna push it & fuck my speaker(s) up...

I probably could have did better on the mic postion, but this was just fucking around really....It's a little bright (like all my clips....), but I did notice a big difference in the tone right away though...

I may end up just buying some speakers for this cab...I'd still like to have a Greenback cab, a V30 cab, & a cab with 65's in it, but not sure which route I'm gonna go with that....I'll be moving again in the spring/summer, & the noise thing won't be an issue then, I'll be able to get as loud as I wanna, anytime I wanna...:).

Gotta run, it's time for work...be back after while.....

Wait, you can't have 16 ohms on each side.

The V30 and Greenback are 8 ohms each right? So in series they'll be 16 ohm. No problem.

They G12T-75s are (should be) 16 ohms each in that cab, so the only way you can wire them is 8 ohm parallel or 32 ohm series. You don't want 32 ohm, so you'd have to wire those two in parallel for 8 ohm.

So your V30/Greenback side will be 16 ohm.
The G12T-75 pair should be 8 ohm.

Unless I figured this all wrong. I don't think I did.

Also, The Greenback/V30 side will be "safe" for 50w.
The rule of thumb is: number of speakers x lowest watt speaker = power handling.
In your case, for that side of your cab, you have 2 speakers x 25w (Greenback) = 50 watts.

The G12T-75 side will be 150 watts.

Yeah and by the way, that clip sounds great dude. A little bright, but very cool on it's own. Way way way way way better than the iso cab clips.

I think I mentioned this, can't remember, but I might be leaving one band and joining another. Not a big deal, but the kicker is they have a backline of 70s era 8x10 cabs. They're like a 3/4 size full stack in one big cab, but the width of a full size head. So cool. I jammed my JCM 800 through one of them last night, and while I have no clue what speakers are actually in it, it sounded okay. It was a little spiky for my tastes, but it sounded cool for sure. I like my 4x12s better, but these things are unique and they line them up as a backline to look pro. The drummer works at Diamond amps, and besides a vast array of Diamonds at their practice space, they also had a Soldano something or other, a few original and modded Bassmans, assorted Marshall 4x12s, two Marshall DSLs, a JCM 900 MKIII, and a fucking Marshall Silver Jubilee! All that shit at my disposal. All I gotta do is show up with a guitar in hand. Hell I don't even need to do that. There are a few DBZ (yuck) guitars and an SG on hand just sitting there. So awesome. I like playing my own stuff, but for practice? I don't care, I won't haul anything but a guitar and a pocket full of picks. How wonderful.

I'm gonna use that Jubilee next week. I already claimed it as my "practice amp" with these guys. They said it just sits there. The other guy uses the DSLs. I've always wanted to put a Jube through it's paces to see what all the fuss is about.

Wait, you can't have 16 ohms on each side.

The V30 and Greenback are 8 ohms each right? So in series they'll be 16 ohm. No problem.

They G12T-75s are (should be) 16 ohms each in that cab, so the only way you can wire them is 8 ohm parallel or 32 ohm series. You don't want 32 ohm, so you'd have to wire those two in parallel for 8 ohm.

So your V30/Greenback side will be 16 ohm.
The G12T-75 pair should be 8 ohm.

Unless I figured this all wrong. I don't think I did.

Exactly what I did dude, the GB/V30 side I wired in series for 16 ohms...the T-75 side I wired parallel for an 8 ohm load....I ran out of time today to explain it all dude, & the 16 ohm thing with the 16 ohm speakers was a typo...I was in a wicked rush, as I'd fucked around too long, & was almost late leaving for work...

I swapped jacks (from the GB/V30 side to the T-75 side), & both sides were still working even when I swapped the speaker cable to the other jack & flipped the switch, all the speakers still worked...So, I immediately shut the amp off, took the back off the cab, & disconnected the T-75's until I get the 1/4" jacks tomorrow...My switch is fucked up, & probably has been since I got the cab...I've just always used the 16 ohm/mono jack/side....Probably dodged a bullet, so I'm glad I fucked around with this today, could've taken a transformer out in one of my amps...

Also, The Greenback/V30 side will be "safe" for 50w.
The rule of thumb is: number of speakers x lowest watt speaker = power handling.
In your case, for that side of your cab, you have 2 speakers x 25w (Greenback) = 50 watts.

The G12T-75 side will be 150 watts.

Cool man, thanks for the info, I'm just always a litte wary about frying speakers dude...I had a Marshall micro-stack back in the 80's, & used those little 1x10 cabs to gig with (depending on if it was a "big" gig or not, I had a matching 4x12 for my Randall head...this particular day was just playing in the park on a summer day)...Lol...I used a Randall 100w solid state head, & they actually sounded pretty damn good...But, we were playing a gig in July, outside, hotter than fuck, & I fried the speakers...So, ever since then, I'm really wary about shit like that....

Thanks for listening to the clip, this is gonna work dude, I can re-amp my di's during the day after recording 'em with the ISO cab late at night...Just gotta keep working on dialing the amp & mic position in...Gotta get some more mics too...Gotta get a lot of shit, but all in due time...Do you realize how much gear I've got this summer???? Lol...

Yeah, you mentioned the band with the 8x10 backline...That's cool as fuck dude....Yes, try the Jubilee man...I had one when I was a teenager, but honestly didn't have a clue what I had...Traded it off for the Randall amp I mentioned...Stupid...very stupid...I had no idea what I had at the time...I wanted the Randall because that's what Dokken, Def Leppard (Hysteria album was supposed to have had those amps on it), & a few other hair metal guys used 'em...live & learn...Take some pics of all that shit dude, & try the Jubilee & Soldano out...That would be cool as fuck to just show up with a guitar....Pics dude, pics!!!!

Gonna get a shower, something to eat, & probably crash...I've gotta get up & have 2 back tires put on my jeep in the morning...I'm running on "may-pops", & it's supposed to snow this weekend...:eek:.

Thanks Bob!!!! I know you don't get into this shit like me & the Gerg do :D, but I do appreciate all your input/help...I don't say that often enough here, thanks to all you guys here for helping me along with my toans...I've learned a lot in the past couple years from you guys, & I know I've got a long, long way to go, but again....thanks!!! :thumbs up:

BTW, I've found a 1981 1960B cab with 65's in it...I don't have the cash/money for it, but I've offered him some of my gear as a trade...Dunno if he's interested in anything other than $$$, but I'll find out in a day or two...Waiting to hear back from him...I'm not expecting him to trade, but you never know...

ditto ......

Me too ..... that's a cool looking amp ........... supposed to be the shit.

The funny thing about the Jubilee is that it has a very good reputation among Marshall people, but it also has a diode clipping circuit to enhance it's gain. Marshall purists bitch and moan all day long about diode clipping in JCM 900s and the split-channel JCM 800s, but they'll eat it up in a silver Jubilee. I personally don't care either way as I never use that much gain anyway. From clips I've heard, the Jubilee does have that bright grinding diode clipping sound though. Marshall purists will break their own rules for silver tolex and a chrome faceplate. :D

FWIW Joe Bonamassa plays thru a Jubilee (among other things in his rig!) Love him or hate him he gets great freakin' tone.

He can play very well though. He'd sound good through anything. Slash was also a Jubilee guy for a long time. He made his name with a modded Super Lead on Appetite for Destruction, but after that he was all about Jubilees. His first signature amp was a Jubilee.

A very good point that often gets overlooked by GAS sufferers. "Tone is in the hands" still holds true. Good gear don't hurt. :D

I think good gear is definitely more important for hacks and frauds like me than it would be for really good players. I need the help of quality. It's almost impossible to screw up a Les Paul into a Plexi. For good players I think it's more about dependability and whatever mood they're in for that day.

Back