The New Tone Thread

Ok, here's 2 clips, the first one, everything on "5", with the LP's bridge p'up, '57 on a T-75 in the usual cap/cone position. I didn't spend much time on the mic position, just basically threw it on there & hit record...the second clip, everything's on "5" except the gain knobs, I dimed 'em both....

I did adjust the track volume in the daw to try to make 'em both about the same level, other than that, nothing but raw tracks....

Chupa on "5"

Chupa with dimed gain knobs

. Your slight break up clean guitar tone sounds great too.
thanks ...... it's funny, after many years of insisting on a pristine 'no-breakup' clean (you've heard me say it many times) my taste just suddenly changed to want a little bit 'o' grit.
It may seem like no biggie but for it was a huge change and it just suddenly happened one night.
I wonder why that happens .... all of a sudden you don't like what you've always liked before.

Like my Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet pedal ....... bought it ...... LOVED it ..... used it a lot for a couple years ..... suddenly one night I said, "That sucks" and now I don't like it and rarely use it.
It'd be off my board except it's fastened down pretty good. :laughings:

Yeah Bob, it is funny how things you like change over time....I used to be into the "higher the gain, the better" thing, but now, I'm leaning more toward the crunch stuff instead of the gain knob dimed all the time...I'm actually learning how to dial a fuckin' amp in too since I've been hanging out with you guys.....;).

Anyway, I'm outta time, post them clips & I'll check 'em out tonight Greg....

Ok, here's 2 clips, the first one, everything on "5", with the LP's bridge p'up, '57 on a T-75 in the usual cap/cone position. I didn't spend much time on the mic position, just basically threw it on there & hit record...the second clip, everything's on "5" except the gain knobs, I dimed 'em both....

I did adjust the track volume in the daw to try to make 'em both about the same level, other than that, nothing but raw tracks....

Chupa on "5"

Chupa with dimed gain knobs
gonna wait till gregs tracks are up so I hear them both fresh

Lol, we played basically the same thing! :laughings:

Okay here's mine.

Les Paul
Marshall Plexi 1959 SLP
Hi input 1
All knobs on 5
PPIMV cranked out of the circuit
57 at the dustcap/cone seam of a G12T-75.

wow ..... they sound very similar!
In fact, the difference between them could be mostly to do with mic positioning ...... greg's is a bit darker but the basic sound is the same as the Chupa.
The Chupa has a bit more zimg on the top end but really, just moving the mic on either one might dial them even more similar.

This is interesting!

Now that I think about it, there are a few things I should do differently. I think I should have put the PPIMV about halfway to more closely match his master volume. There's no doubt in my mind that mine was probably way way louder, and that also amplifies the proximity effect on the mic. Besides the mic position differences, which do matter, the loudness induced proximity effect could be contributing to the darkness on my clip. I usually like the extra fake beef to the tone. But for comparisons it might be screwing things up a little.

Also, I ran it at 8 ohms into two cabs. That's a minor difference, but it does make a tonal difference. I should have switched to one cab to keep that part of it the same.

And for both of our clips, the G12T-75 is not a very good "Plexi" speaker. It's good for lots of things. Vintage style Marshall tone isn't one of them. It's better with the more modern amps. I personally never record tracks through those speakers anymore. My other options are always better to me. I'm certain both of our clips would sound better through Greenbacks.

Good tones boy-o's

I think gregs had just a little bit more bite than Miner's. In my room and my ears anyways. Mixed in a full recording youd never really tell the difference. Live stage situation if you were in the middle of a room miner's might sound a bit more fuzzy compared to gregs bite.

I waited all day for this. thanks guys.

Miner: that first track! i loved that sound of your amp on 5 man. Really great stuff.

Lt. bob: I was never much of a pedal guy at all so i have no idea what i am listening to, but it definitely sounds awesome man. Good investment.

Lt Bob,
That's one COOL pedal & a REALLY cool use of it - 1st time or not - just cool.

Lt. bob: I was never much of a pedal guy at all so i have no idea what i am listening to, but it definitely sounds awesome man. Good investment.

Thanks guys ..... I'm really excited about it because it gives me an additional space filling sound when playing in a trio.
I'm still working on the technique because it's vital that you approach it like a keyboard player would if you want it to really sound like an organ and organ players often hold a single note or just two of them which feels kinda foriegn to me as a guitarist but I'm sorta getting the hang of it.

Cool guys, so, at least I do know my Chupacabra is in the ballpark of a real Marshall Super Lead/Plexi....Pretty happy!!!

I think Greg's right, he should've used one cab, & put his PPIMV on "5", I think that would've made 'em much closer, but, still, pretty close....I bet if I put everything back on "5", then dimed the master, it'd sound more like Greg's clip....

Cool man, again pretty happy knowing my Ceriatone is in the ballpark of the real deal anyway...

Gonna go grab a shower, it's been a long, long fuckin' night at work...

In my mind there was never any question that the Ceriatone is "in the ballpark". You should hear their JCM 800 clones. They're incredible.

I'll do another clip today with the PPIMV at 12:00 and one cab.

Okay, here's another run....

Lez Paula
Plexi 1959SLP
All controls on 5
PPIMV @ 12:00
Hi input 1 only
Single 16 ohm 1960B 4x12 - G12T-75 - SM57 dustcap/cone
Take 2

This is a slightly different mic position. Had no choice. I had moved the mic to a different speaker for some other tracks after yesterday's clip. I put it back for this one as close as I could remember.

Cool man....I think the differences between our amps are mine is hard-wired internally, with the channels jumped I guess...I can get pretty close to that tone, as I've heard it from my amp before, but I have to mess with the gain knobs...One thing that makes my amp different from yours is the way the gain knobs interact with one another...Gain 1 is supposed to be the "overall" gain, & Gain 2 is supposed to add saturation....I still like the new amp though, it's got really good vintage-style Marshall toans dude, which is what I was after....

Here's a clip of the DSL, nothing fancy/special (as usual) just trying to get close to an 80's hard rock tone...I'm waaay off, as I need to mess with the settings, but all in all, the DSL is a good amp too...

Signal chain:

LP > DSL > Greenback ISO cab > '57

Resonance: 5
Presence: 8
Bass: 8
Mid: 5
Treble: 6

OD 1
Volume: 3
Gain: 5-6

Hard rock DSL

I might be trading some of my little gear off too...A guy on Craigslist has a 2012 Gibson LP Studio I've offered my Egnater & one of my 1x12's for...haven't heard back from him today, so dunno if it'll happen or not...I might offer him my DSL-1H in the trade, just depends....

Gotta go, off to work!!!!!

That clip isn't doing anything for me man. Sorry. Sounds really boxy. Like it's coming through a radio or something. :o

It's weird. Those settings should sound great. Must be the iso box or mic position or something.

I wish I could read a schematic well enough to see where our amps really differ. There are huge functionality differences obviously. Your single input bridged with two gains must be the biggest factor. If it's supposed to mimic a permanently jumpered Super Lead, I have no idea what blend ratio it has. If that's even how it's configured. Doesn't matter though, the Chupa sounds great dude.

I'll do another clip with my channels jumped. I messed with it right when I got the amp, but didn't go too far. I like it better just using the "High Treble" inputs.

Here's the same everything, but with channels 1 and 2 linked.

Guitar into "High Treble input 1"
Low input 1 patched to High Normal input 2.
Both channel volumes at 5
Channel jumped

Like this....(not my pic)
IMG_2046.jpg

You guys are all maniacs. haha.

Forgive my ignorance but what is it are you two are up to here? I thought i knew yesterday. today i am not so sure.

You guys are all maniacs. haha.

Forgive my ignorance but what is it are you two are up to here? I thought i knew yesterday. today i am not so sure.

Lol. Okay, Marshall made their name with an amp circuit that goes by many names, but it's basically two versions - Lead 1987 (50 watts) and Super Lead 1959 (100 watts). The numbers are the circuit ID, not the years they were made. Makes no sense, but that's how it is. Anyway both versions go by the general nickname "Plexi", even though only a few years of them had actual plexiglass panels. These amps have 4 inputs, no master volume, and are generally deafeningly loud. Very much of the classic rock, punk, and metal from the mid 60s to 80s were done with these amps. If you listen to rock in any form you've heard these amps a million times. They are the cat's ass for rock and roll guitar. They have a character and sound that's not really found in anything else from Marshall....or anyone else except for Marshall clones.

Anyway, minerman just got a Marshall clone amp that is based on the legendary "Plexis" of yesteryear. A Ceriatone Chupacabra HRP (Hot Rodded Plexi). I think that's what HRP means anyway. His new amp also has a bunch of tweaks and options that take it into hair metal tone territory. Think like Eddie Van Halen or George Lynch type of sound. High gain hard rock sound but with the singing highs and detail that "Plexis" deliver. So he got this amp and we're just comparing it to my Super Lead Plexi 1959 reissue. My Marshall 1959 doesn't go into the high gain range that his Ceriatone does, so we're just comparing how his amp in a basic Plexi mode compares to my actual Plexi amp.

It's tough to compare though because our amps are functionally quite different, even though tonally his is based on mine and takes it further.

Back