overdrive pedal

Just guessing that with a Les Paul and an AC30 you're after old school tones, I'll take the bait and say just getting one pedal, and blowing as much of your budget as possible, I'd go something like the MI Audio Blue Boy Deluxe or the Keeley Modded DS-1 or an OCD.
If you want cheaper, and be able to get a couple of pedals to have more options, and even tweak one or both to sound awesome and save a bundle, try the SD-1, a Mod Tone Speedbox, and/or a Distortion+. Between those choices, you'd have all your bases covered.

Electro-Harmonix-Classics-USA-Big-Muff-PI-Distortion---Sustainer-Guitar-Effects-Pedal-101226793-i1124710.gc

I would imagine it would depend a little on the sound you're after. I've got a Rat that I'm rediscovering isn't bad, but I have no idea what it would sound like in front of an AC-30. I've also got a Blues Driver that I used to like, but somehow I can't find the settings I liked again.

TS9 or SD1

TS9 or DS-1, I'd say, actually. The TS9 is a classic for a reason - plenty of gain and output and can really juice the front of an already-driven amp, but also excels at lower gain stuff where it's surprisingly organic.

The DS-1 is a little crunchier and more aggressive, with (if memory serves, it's been a while) a slightly bolder low end. It also has the added bonus of being REALLY cheap - $40 or so, if memory serves. It's not technically an "overdrive" but it's at the point in the spectrum where the line gets a bit blurry.

Both pedals are pretty affordable, widely used by hobbyists and pros alike, and there's an active secondary modding market if a little down the road you decide you want something a hair more exotic.

I have a modded TS9, myself - bought it stock, shipped it out to Bodenhamer Electronics for their "Chaos" mod. Pretty sweet pedal, even before the mod. :) I don't use it a ton, but it never hurts to have a good OD lying around.

I would imagine it would depend a little on the sound you're after.

i need to fill in on rhythm guitar for the band below on saturday. i can use the dude's marshall if i have to but i'd rather use my amp in case something happens.

[video=youtube;<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/Z8XyXbhZwAs&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/Z8XyXbhZwAs&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>]video[/video]

TS9 or DS-1, I'd say, actually. The TS9 is a classic for a reason - plenty of gain and output and can really juice the front of an already-driven amp, but also excels at lower gain stuff where it's surprisingly organic.

The DS-1 is a little crunchier and more aggressive, with (if memory serves, it's been a while) a slightly bolder low end. It also has the added bonus of being REALLY cheap - $40 or so, if memory serves. It's not technically an "overdrive" but it's at the point in the spectrum where the line gets a bit blurry.

For me, there's a huge difference between the DS1 and the TS9. Chalk and cheese. Possibly because the distinguishing between overdrive, distortion and fuzz is a life's goal for me! :D I actually suggested the SD1 because for me, when set right, it's actually very close to a TS9 for a third of the price.

For me, there's a huge difference between the DS1 and the TS9. Chalk and cheese. Possibly because the distinguishing between overdrive, distortion and fuzz is a life's goal for me! :D I actually suggested the SD1 because for me, when set right, it's actually very close to a TS9 for a third of the price.

Yeah, but I have NO idea what the sound he's after is. :p I figure between the two of them, most flavors of OD should be covered.

Back