The New Tone Thread

Here, I will... something different for you all to chew on for a bit. Long time lurker in this thread, but only posted a single tone, prior to this. Not quite a virgin.:laughings:

Intro, then verse/chorus 1 of tune I'm working on. Unfinished and unmixed, but still.... The verse starts where you start hearing cymbals/snare.

The aim is to use a couple of really BIG reverbs from a Strymon BigSky on a reasonably sparse (for me, LOL) arrangement, so I've left the drums and bass in there so you can hear it "in context". I won't bore you with details of guitar/amp unless you're particularly interested.

Interested in how you think this will work as a completed song. I'm digging it to date, but it's going to very much depend on the vocals / lyrics, I think.

Ciao

Way down the distortion spectrum, but sort of where I generally end up.

And while I'm posting shit - again, in a different direction, here's a section of a tune from earlier in the year from which I've removed all but the guitars and bass - showing how I attempt to use about 27 relatively clean guitars playing different things to create a sort of noisy cacophony.

This was obviously before I got the grounding/hum issue on my bass repaired, you can't hear it in the final tune. Verse/chorus/midsection

More than one way to achieve the "tone" you're after. :D

OK - that's enough from me. Must go and do some actual recording on the first tune.

Last edited:
Your stuff is so "interesting", Armi. Meant literally - it grabs yer interest. Well mine anyway. The tones are good for the feel of the tunes. Fairly plain but that allows the note choices to provide the interest.

JDOD,
Medium gain double sounds best to my ears. It may have been a delusion based on the stereo field but it sounded like the sort of metal I'd be more inclined to listen to.

Armistice,
Goodbye Mr Pills - reminds me of Gentle Giant - in a good way - & that's a band who did a couple of LPs I LOVE, (interview in particular).
Nothing wrong with layers of clean guitar - particularly when played as well as you did do.
Song 9 - I like the cleanISH tones and the textures. Very cool.

JDOD,
Medium gain double sounds best to my ears. It may have been a delusion based on the stereo field but it sounded like the sort of metal I'd be more inclined to listen to.

Yeah, I was just trying to do some examples using really cheap gear that the guy from Nepal would be able to get his hands on.

---------- Update ----------

Armistice, I'll listen to yours later. I don't have my mixing headphones handy right now.

Wow, Shake Some Action.
Interesting mass arrival of a mass that don't normally arrive.
Could this be the cavalry? maybe it's the State Guard or the National Guard.

That'll happen when people get called out by name. Whoever was the ghost poster who singled out me, Taras and Nola on this thread pretty much guaranteed we would put in an appearance here, don't you think?

It's interesting that the label uninformed comes from a couple of folk: one who probably would have the inside line and another who probably ought not. That looks like a tactical mistake. Hmmm, why are we uninformed? We are left ignorant to what actually transpired through the lack of transparency and amount of obfuscation being dialled in and dealt out.

You're barking up the wrong tree. I was talking about Bob's statements about the Clinic, and his claim that Greg has been on his best behavior. Neither is remotely true. Go back and read what Bob wrote. Do his assertions about the Clinic sound like he knows what he is talking about? Or are those the words somebody who is reading from another man's script, repeating secondhand cliches that he has not bothered to verify for himself? And his claims about Greg's good behavior, that's a joke right? As one of the regular targets of Greg's vendetta for over a year, I can tell you a thing or two about his behavior. The fact that Bob--or you--would make such a claim says that you have been paying no attention to what has been going on. Either that, or you've set the bar for Greg's behavior so low that he would have to commit an axe murder for you to take notice.

Here, I will... something different for you all to chew on for a bit. Long time lurker in this thread, but only posted a single tone, prior to this. Not quite a virgin.:laughings:

Intro, then verse/chorus 1 of tune I'm working on. Unfinished and unmixed, but still.... The verse starts where you start hearing cymbals/snare.

The aim is to use a couple of really BIG reverbs from a Strymon BigSky on a reasonably sparse (for me, LOL) arrangement, so I've left the drums and bass in there so you can hear it "in context". I won't bore you with details of guitar/amp unless you're particularly interested.

Interested in how you think this will work as a completed song. I'm digging it to date, but it's going to very much depend on the vocals / lyrics, I think.

Ciao

Mate, this sounds like a really interesting idea and I think the tone works. Listen carefully when the main riff comes in at about 25s in - there's a buzz or a rattle on the left. Fret buzz? Something rattling where it shouldn't be.

Let's keep this thread on track and talking about guitar tones. Other discussions can go to PM's or Prime Time.

Thanks ya'll.

And while I'm posting shit - again, in a different direction, here's a section of a tune from earlier in the year from which I've removed all but the guitars and bass - showing how I attempt to use about 27 relatively clean guitars playing different things to create a sort of noisy cacophony.

This was obviously before I got the grounding/hum issue on my bass repaired, you can't hear it in the final tune. Verse/chorus/midsection

More than one way to achieve the "tone" you're after. :D

OK - that's enough from me. Must go and do some actual recording on the first tune.

This sounds really cool too - this one gets pretty busy though at times, starts to become hard to work out what each guitar is doing. You could probably separate them out pretty easily though. The tone is lovely.

The tone is lovely.

It's like his signature tone. I love all intricate guitar work in Mr Pills. In the full context of the song, the listener can delve down deep into the song to listen to the details. It's engaging.

It's clear that he and others ROBUS/RFR and prolly you actually did follow greg around looking for things to complain about .... .
Hey fuck you and your baseless accusations.
I never followed Greg around reporting him.
Get your facts straight before you accuse!

That's a great idea. We should all do that!!! :D

Yup. Also a great idea to keep me out of things I'm not involved in and not try to lump me in with those Lt bob feels are responsible with the banning.
:D

Last edited:
Your stuff is so "interesting", Armi. Meant literally - it grabs yer interest. Well mine anyway. The tones are good for the feel of the tunes. Fairly plain but that allows the note choices to provide the interest.

Thanks Lou - yeah, the older I get, the less effects I use... although I am loving the new reverb pedal.:D

Armistice,
Goodbye Mr Pills - reminds me of Gentle Giant - in a good way - & that's a band who did a couple of LPs I LOVE, (interview in particular).
Nothing wrong with layers of clean guitar - particularly when played as well as you did do.
Song 9 - I like the cleanISH tones and the textures. Very cool.

Cheers ray - just finished tracking and basic mixing Song 9 - just have to work out some words and sing them now. The hardest part. See you at Christmas with it... mebbe.:eek:

Mate, this sounds like a really interesting idea and I think the tone works. Listen carefully when the main riff comes in at about 25s in - there's a buzz or a rattle on the left. Fret buzz? Something rattling where it shouldn't be.

Ta JDude - I'm listening for that buzz but not hearing it and I listened to each individual track as well - might be a render glitch - I'll see if you notice it when I get the full tune done! ;)

This sounds really cool too - this one gets pretty busy though at times, starts to become hard to work out what each guitar is doing. You could probably separate them out pretty easily though. The tone is lovely.

Thanks again. I blame that nasty Mr Verlaine for inspiring me to put so many separate lines together - although I'm not as constrained with numbers as he was, which is probably a bad thing. :D

It's like his signature tone. I love all intricate guitar work in Mr Pills. In the full context of the song, the listener can delve down deep into the song to listen to the details. It's engaging.

Thanks Chili - but I'm still not going to sleep with you.:laughings:

Ciao

This is great tone. I really like the reverb it fits the guitar tone well.
I liked "Goodbye mr. Pills" too. Very nice pickin' man!

FYI - To those who haven't moved over already. Greg has started a tone thread at the Recording Review forum. Several of the participants here are already involved as well as some of that site's regulars (That jkuehlin dude is a hoot. Reminds me of Victory Pete.)

So if this thread drops off to nuthin' you'll know where it went...

Mmm...it's good that Greg found a new home...and I see that a few guys from here are over there already (not sure how many are moving for good, or plan to bounce between both places).

While I always checked out this Tone thread...I only posted tones on rare occasion...I mean, I never got really deep into it like some of the other guys here who would constantly put up a bunch of amp settings and their tones...etc...so I don't know if it makes sense for me to now go to that other forum just for the Tone thread over there...and I frankly don't know if I have the interest in getting involved with the other forums/treads over there, since it's most likely the same old discussions as over here.
Is there anything new/different/more interesting over there...than here?

The one thing I did see when I was checking out the "Introduce Yourself" thread over there...one of the regulars was telling people to check out their "Bash This Recording" thread...which I guess is their version of the MP3 Clinic...and I gotta say, that's a great attitude....:thumbs up:..."bash" this recording!!! :D
I doubt that "bashing" of recordings would be allowed here in the MP3 Clinic. People would get too upset if their stuff got "bashed". :p

Anyway...say high to Greg for me.
Maybe when I get ready to record some stuff with my new amp/cab, I'll see how things are here then...and if this Tone thread is going to die off, I might pop over there just for that...though I always kind like to do tones in context...I mean, I kinda get where jkuehlin is coming from in that regard. It's hard to make much sense of someone's amp setting and even the tones, unless you happen to have the same amp setup and you can dial them in.
That said...I do know that some of those guys mainly focus on the typical Marshall tones, and a few of them have Marshall amps or clones. Heck...Greg has like what 4-5 Marshal amps now. :cool:

Back