The New Tone Thread

Bob, I'm listening while I type this man, & to be honest dude, I could care less if you uploaded a blank mp3....with your little story/description you had me from the first sentence....I absolutely love to read about the process people go through to get their sounds recorded, & especially from somebody with the playing/tone experience that you've got dude....It's a learning/knowledge thing for me, & it's almost an addiction for me, I can't get enough...:).....

This is great man, off-the cuff, spontaneous & off the beaten path....Sounds good on my el cheapo 'phones, but I'll give it another 'round tomorrow on my monitors & my HD280's & give it a proper listen....

Oh yeah, on the scatterbrain thing, dude, everything I do with my music is scatterbrained, welcome to the club....:laughings:.

Some very Byrds moments with the earlier 12 lead.
And again when the 2 guitars cross over.
An organic approach to recording I'd call it.
I try to plan what I'm going to do in an efffort to reach elegant simplicity - I get close & then spoil it by deciding to record 3 mics and blend them or think of a little part that just migh fit.
I end up recording 20+ tracks & then, because I have 'em, try to include all in the mix.
I should probably go back to my 4 track cassette machine - that certainly forced a simpler mind set.
I enjoyed the track Lt Bob. Nice distortion too.

thanks guys ..... it was fun ..... about the first time I've been engrossed in doing something for a while.

Yeah Ray ...... I noticed that Byrds thing myself. Actually the other clean lead I had at that spot had a LOT of that '8 miles high' vibe but it was sloppier so I used this one instead.

The distorted 12 string sound is pretty interesting to me ...... I may go sit-in with a rock band I know and only bring the 12-string just to see what happens.

alritey then ..... I recorded today and since I do seem to do this more scatter-brained than ya'll, I thought I'd detail the entire process from start to finish..

This is so cool. I like the writing walk through. Totally makes listening to this even cooler! It's a pretty rad vibe bob. the 12 string and the tribally drum bits are probably my favorite elements!!! I'd be down to hear a remixed version when it surfaces for sure.

this raises an interesting point? Does anyone else make notes of their composing and recording process like this? Or do you just charge on in and just do it? I don't think i have ever mapped out a song the way bob did. I probably should start doing that.

lol .... my first wife was from Donaldsonville .... you've got to know where that is if you know Plaquemine.

Yup, good ol D'Ville. That's around where my Sicilian ancestors landed in Louisiana. That general area. Bayou Goula actually, now called White Castle because of Nottoway Plantation. They landed around White Castle and worked the cane fields alongside the slaves.

Your clip sounds real good. Nice tones and textures. Real nice arrangement. More boob sounds would be good around here. :)

Yup, good ol D'Ville. That's around where my Sicilian ancestors landed in Louisiana. That general area. Bayou Goula actually, now called White Castle because of Nottoway Plantation. They landed around White Castle and worked the cane fields alongside the slaves.
I know all those places very well. Not only a lot of ex-wifey people but also as a piano tuner I tuned a lot around there.
Also a lot of one nighters with various bands and Van Broussard.
Really, all the way down to Venice and Golden Meadow and all that coastal area.
People that haven't been there can never comprehend how different of a culture it is.
I had a guy just this Sunday at a gig come up during the break and start telling me how insane he thought we were when he spent a few years around Lafayette. I go by the name of 'Louisiana' Steve around here :laughings: so I'm always getting stories like that.

He just thought it was the craziest partying bunch of people he had ever seen ...... and "if they like you they'll do ANYthing for you and if they don't like you they'll kill you!" was his summary. :D

As for the clip ..... thanks, listening to it today there seems to be too much going on in many spots ...... I'll prolly try a different mix and pare down some of the gits tonight .........
it's not really a tune per se so I don't care too much but I would like to get it as good as it can be before I file the mix in my 'boob tunes' file and never listen to it again. :D

Sorry to do this to you kind folk but...
I'm on HOLIDAYS for a fortnight.
Not going anywhere or doing anything but 2 weeks of reading & playing with music is as good as a trip away for me.
When I 1st heard the solo in 8 Miles I thought it sounded cool but had a lot of fluffed notes and such. then I read about it being this mode and that melodic theory etc.
None of which I understood.
It remains a cool solo that sounds like it has some fluffs and such to me.
Yeah PHILLISTINE I know.

That's a baby-watt reissue version of one of the earliest Marshalls ever made. 1962 JTM45.

offset_jtm.jpg

Is it any good? Its going for 550£ with the cab

I'm sure it's good for what it is. What's your idea of "good" anyway? What do you want to do with it? If it's accurate at all to the original, it's gonna sound something like a Fender Bassman...but a mini-watt version of course.

By "good" I mean am I going to get Marshall MG'd or is this a legit product.
:laughings:

Dude, are you being serious saying you haven't heard of all these 1w Marshall amps???

I personally wouldn't be interested in that amp, I have a DSL-1H, & it does sound like my 100w DSL, just not as much power (obviously)...If I had the $$$ & could find 'em, I'd have the JCM-1 & the JMP-1 too, they're fuckin' expensive for what they are (I know the Gerg hates 'em...:laughings:.and, I paid almost as much for my 1w DSL as I did for my 100 watter), but my little DSL-1 is a pretty good amp...YMMV...

The amp you linked it exactly what Greg said it was too, it's a JTM with vintage-style cosmetics...The circuit/tubes/everything else is the same....That's actually a decent deal with the cab, it comes to around $800, & that's about what I paid for my DSL-1H new....

These little 1w amps do catch a lot of shit, because of the price (you can buy a full-size head for the same $$$), & they're not a 50/100w amp at all, but you can get some decent tones with them...They are fuckin' ridiculously priced though, even though I bought one...:D.In hindsight, I wish I'd got the JCM-1, but they were pretty much all gone by the time I could swing the $$$...

Is there any way you can go try the amp out dude??? I've never played through one (and honestly don't have any desire to), but it might be what you're looking for, I dunno....If you play anything other than clean to classic rock stuff, you'll need a pedal though...

Oh, I'm not really looking to buy. I already told you my sob story of the Ax Fx a few pages ago. :D
The guy is based in bumfucknowhereistan in the UK. Unfortunately not.

Yeah I do generally dislike the Marshall one-watters for a few reasons. It just seems like a lot of money for a little practice amp.

Back