New amp for Greg - Bladow! (lots of pics)

So whaddya got?
Some big Yamaha PA tops, a Boss BR-800 digital 8-track, some smaller PA tops (practice studio size) and a Marshall Valvestate combo. :) I might sell my bass bins too. Cabinets aren't much but they have decent Fane drivers in them.

Sold the 8-track recorder. :D Only another £400 to go.
Just curious, how much are you getting the amp for Bubba??? I had a pretty good deal on one a couple years ago at GC online, & it was $1200....About half as much as a new one, with a 30 day guarantee, if anything was wrong with it, or I just didn't like it, I could've sent it back within the 30 days...

Surely with the other gear you've got up for sale, you'll be able to get it, right??? I know you gig, & are probably not stuck out in the fuckin' boonies like I am, so you should have better luck flipping gear than I do....

Just curious, how much are you getting the amp for Bubba??? I had a pretty good deal on one a couple years ago at GC online, & it was $1200....About half as much as a new one, with a 30 day guarantee, if anything was wrong with it, or I just didn't like it, I could've sent it back within the 30 days...

Surely with the other gear you've got up for sale, you'll be able to get it, right??? I know you gig, & are probably not stuck out in the fuckin' boonies like I am, so you should have better luck flipping gear than I do....

I don't have an actual amp that I'm saving for, but the general S/H value for a private sale seems to be about £600-800. Approximately 1000 dollars, give or take a hundred.

If the right amp comes up before I have all the cash, the Mrs. will stand me the balance until the bits are turned into cash. :D I need this incentive though, the house is getting cluttered.

I don't have an actual amp that I'm saving for, but the general S/H value for a private sale seems to be about £600-800. Approximately 1000 dollars, give or take a hundred.

If the right amp comes up before I have all the cash, the Mrs. will stand me the balance until the bits are turned into cash. :D I need this incentive though, the house is getting cluttered.
That's cool Bubba, I had a quick look on GC online, & they're going for about $1200 or so on average, so if you find one at your mentioned price, you're probably doing pretty good...

I talked to Greg via e-mail, & he said it's his least favorite amp to gig with, but, you've gotta look at all the other amps he has too.
Greg told me it's the amp he messes around with around the house more so than any of the others, I'm guessing he uses it for scratch tracks/writing/working out riffs/etc, then uses the other "monsters" for his final tracks...

He did tell me I should get one if I could, as it's a good amp all across the gain spectrum. And, for Greg to recommend an amp pretty much says it all. He's actually helped me with a couple pieces of gear I'd been after, & he's never steered me wrong on anything...

Hang in there man, I know GAS is a terrible, terrible thing, keep pluggin' at the £/$ thing, & it'll happen....You've actually re-sparked my interest in one, but there's just no way possible I could swing one right now...:(. Maybe a little on down the road though...;).

I talked to Greg via e-mail, & he said it's his least favorite amp to gig with, but, you've gotta look at all the other amps he has too.
Greg told me it's the amp he messes around with around the house more so than any of the others, I'm guessing he uses it for scratch tracks/writing/working out riffs/etc, then uses the other "monsters" for his final tracks...

It will be the perfect gigging amp for me - I love how you can step through the green/orange/red gain stages on each channel. As a chap who can't be bothered with individual pedals, this is a truly awesome feature. I like having exactly the right sounds for each song we do and I don't want to be fiddling with the gain on every song. I can step from White Riot to Anarchy in the U.K. to Alternative Ulster to Holiday in Cambodia (I don't know if you've heard these songs!) with just a couple of clicks.

Hang in there man, I know GAS is a terrible, terrible thing, keep pluggin' at the £/$ thing, & it'll happen....You've actually re-sparked my interest in one, but there's just no way possible I could swing one right now...:(. Maybe a little on down the road though...;).
Thanks, Minerman. When I get one, I'll be sure to come onto this thread and stoke the fires of envy even higher. :D

It will be the perfect gigging amp for me - I love how you can step through the green/orange/red gain stages on each channel. As a chap who can't be bothered with individual pedals, this is a truly awesome feature. I like having exactly the right sounds for each song we do and I don't want to be fiddling with the gain on every song. I can step from White Riot to Anarchy in the U.K. to Alternative Ulster to Holiday in Cambodia (I don't know if you've heard these songs!) with just a couple of clicks.
I agree man, back in my gigging days, I'd loved to had an amp that had that many options. I actually had a white, 100w Jubilee, with matching 4x12's that I foolishly sold/traded to get a 3-channel solid-state amp because of the convenience. Yes, you read that right, my parents bought me a white Marshall 100w head & matching cabs for graduation in 1988. I didn't have a clue what I had at the time, & my bass player tried to talk me out of it, but I thought the solid-state was a better match because of the different styles of music we were playing. I'd just about give my left nut to have it back now, but it's long gone...

Hang in there Bubba, you'll get your JVM dude....BTW, what kind of cab(s) are you going to be using with it???

I agree man, back in my gigging days, I'd loved to had an amp that had that many options. I actually had a white, 100w Jubilee, with matching 4x12's that I foolishly sold/traded to get a 3-channel solid-state amp because of the convenience. Yes, you read that right, my parents bought me a white Marshall 100w head & matching cabs for graduation in 1988. I didn't have a clue what I had at the time, & my bass player tried to talk me out of it, but I thought the solid-state was a better match because of the different styles of music we were playing. I'd just about give my left nut to have it back now, but it's long gone...

Hang in there Bubba, you'll get your JVM dude....BTW, what kind of cab(s) are you going to be using with it???

Ouch! We all do that kind of thing through our lives. Best to try to forget it! LOL. :D

I'm using a standard 1960A cabinet. I've never tried my head with anything else, but it sounds good to me!

Ouch! We all do that kind of thing through our lives. Best to try to forget it! LOL. :D
Yeah man, live & learn...lol...I honestly didn't know what I had at the time & often wonder what it'd be worth today...but, like I said, it's long gone, that's been almost 30 years ago...

I'm using a standard 1960A cabinet. I've never tried my head with anything else, but it sounds good to me!
Stock T-75 speakers??? I think they're ok, but have gotten a bad rep from folks who just don't know any better. I have 5 of those speakers, I bought one from Greg for my ISO cab, & my 1960A came with 'em. The JVM should sound pretty good through that cab Bubba...

Stock T-75 speakers??? I think they're ok, but have gotten a bad rep from folks who just don't know any better. I have 5 of those speakers, I bought one from Greg for my ISO cab, & my 1960A came with 'em. The JVM should sound pretty good through that cab Bubba...

Yep, G12-T75s. If so many people want to change to V-30s or Greenbacks, why don't Marshall do it as an option? The different speakers can't be more expensive to manufacture, especially if they are manufactured abroad.

Personally, I'm not sure I care for the sound of the low-wattage paper-coned speakers. But then again, I'm not into cork-sniffing either. I have a pretty good appreciation of what sounds good to me and what sounds horrendous. The swapping of tubes, either pre-or power- amp seems to me to be the ultimate in snake-oil snobbery. So many other factors play a FAR more dominant role, not least the playing style. A major overlooked factor is the ability and knowledge to be able to dial in a usable tone whatever your gear.

Just my rant. :D

P.S. I have had the dubious pleasure of playing through some MG and AVT cabs recently. Christ on a Bike, they are trash.

Yep, G12-T75s. If so many people want to change to V-30s or Greenbacks, why don't Marshall do it as an option? The different speakers can't be more expensive to manufacture, especially if they are manufactured abroad.
Not sure why Marshall doesn't offer different speakers in their cabs, without raising the price to just plain outrageous. The 812A50, the 50th anniversary cabs, man those cabs are $2500!!! A complete rip-off if you ask me, I'm sure they sound good, but do they sound that much better??? But, looking at the price of a regular 1960A cab, it's $1000 for a new one. I paid $350 (including shipping which was $50) for my cab, & IMHO, it sounds just as good as one of those expensive-assed cabs, & I had enough change left over to buy a 100w head...:D.

Each speaker has it's own character (which I'm sure you already know this, but...), like the T-75, everyone says that they're "mid-scooped", which they're not (IMO anyway), they just don't have as prominent mids as a V30 or such, & have a little more high/bottom end than other speakers...

I have 5 different Celestions, & while they're all similar in a way, each one has it's own character that makes it a little different from the others....

Personally, I'm not sure I care for the sound of the low-wattage paper-coned speakers. But then again, I'm not into cork-sniffing either. I have a pretty good appreciation of what sounds good to me and what sounds horrendous. The swapping of tubes, either pre-or power- amp seems to me to be the ultimate in snake-oil snobbery. So many other factors play a FAR more dominant role, not least the playing style. A major overlooked factor is the ability and knowledge to be able to dial in a usable tone whatever your gear.

Just my rant. :D
Yeah dude, I got into the tube-rolling for a while, but while some swear by it, the changes it made to my gear were so minute it didn't make a fuck. But, I will say your speakers have a bigger impact on your tone than just about anything, again IMO...

P.S. I have had the dubious pleasure of playing through some MG and AVT cabs recently. Christ on a Bike, they are trash.
Lol...I bet if you put decent speakers in those cabs, they'd sound a lot better...

I think I've found my amp - I'm arranging to view it this week! :D

LOL - good luck. You should put up a big "Bubba has saved 30% of his goal" 'thermometer' thing so we can go on the journey with you... :laughings:

And sitting on a corner with a cardboard sign and a forlorn look can be quite lucrative... "Punk rocker fallen on hard times... " but only if you get desparate of course. :D

LOL - good luck. You should put up a big "Bubba has saved 30% of his goal" 'thermometer' thing so we can go on the journey with you... :laughings:

And sitting on a corner with a cardboard sign and a forlorn look can be quite lucrative... "Punk rocker fallen on hard times... " but only if you get desparate of course. :D

Ha ha! If this amp turns out to be kosher then it's a very, very good price. £470. I have saved 74.4% of my total so far! :D

That's crazy cheap for a 410 head. Get it checked out. If it's a 2007 serial number, they had a tendency to melt fuse connectors and go up in flames. Not really flames, but they'd burn the board and let the smoke out. 2008 or later is fine and worry free.

That's crazy cheap for a 410 head. Get it checked out. If it's a 2007 serial number, they had a tendency to melt fuse connectors and go up in flames. Not really flames, but they'd burn the board and let the smoke out. 2008 or later is fine and worry free.

Hiya Greg. :D I'll check out the serial no. of course. Thanks for that. Still waiting for the seller to get back to me. Marshall used values are a little cheaper in the UK; plus, gear's not shifting much at the moment on the usual gear trading sites. Nobody seems to have cash, all they wanna do is trade for pointy-assed crap :D. The lowest I saw before this was £600.

Back