Zoom R24

D'Lunacy

Greetings,

I posted this in another area, and got no response. I thought I'd try it here.

I haven't had a chance to pop into the local shop to play with one of these, so I wanted to ask those who already own one...
How good are the guitar sounds, amp modeling, etc, in this unit? I was considering the Boss BR-800, as I know they're easy to use, but I already own the old Boss BR-8, and would like to get better tones than what it can do.

My playing styles are everything from Classic Rock, Rockabilly, Metal, and Goth. I just want something that I can record with at home but doesn't sound like I recorded using a child's toy. The price is awesome, but I worry about "you get what you pay for".

I own a Zoom R16 that I only use as an AI and control surface now....which it is excellent for by the way. The Boss unit will never do that and is limited in tracks compared to the R24. The R16 effects and amp models are really decent.....IMO......but that’s very subjective of course......and I couldn’t tell you if you’d be pleased with them. Those in the R24 are the same. The master quality of the Zoom is on par with anything in that price range and the pre’s in the Zoom are quiet and quality. The Zoom is really a good deal and is not too difficult to learn......although all updated units will have at least some learning curve.

Thank you. That's pretty much what I wanted to know. I don't expect it to sound like a Mesa Boogie, or a Gretsch through a Bassman, but I would just like to know that the sounds are good enough that they don't sound cheap. I got some good tones with the old Boss unit that I have, but that thing is nearly 20 years old, and way outdated. I do like that it comes with Cubase, even though I'll probably be using it with Reason.

Another R16 owner here. These are certainly capable boxes, up to a point.

Overall the on-board effects are decent, especially considering price vs quantity but I wouldn't rely on the R24 as a primary device for guitar sounds. It has amp modeling yes, but no cabinet modeling and AIUI because of that, distorted sounds have an unpleasant buzzy quality to them. Compared to Line6 Pocket POD that is, I've no idea what the Boss B-8(00) can or cannot do. But FWIW, a similar buzz is present in Boss ME 80 multieffect sounds (which costs almost as much as the R16), *unless* you drive it through a cabinet (simulated or real). The problem here with the R16/24 is that there's no way to route the sound to external devices, so even though the on-board guitar sounds could probably be largely rescued with a cheap cabinet simulator box, you can't because ... you can't.

16 or 24 tracks sounds awesome, until you actually try to mix more than 8 at once. They can only be accessed in banks of 8 tracks at a time, and with non-motorized faders this gets painful real fast. Which is not to say those extra tracks are useless, just don't be fooled to think all those channels are equally usable.

For me personally the biggest bummer was the complete lack of external sync facilities (except to another R16/R24). The Boss devices don't have it either so maybe that's not an issue for you, just thought to mention it.

I've had an R24 for several years, but have never used the amp sims or drum sounds. Instead, I either mic an amp or drums, or use a Line6 Pod for guitars, and an Alesis SR18 for drums.

I've also never used it as a control surface, although I keep thinking that is something to try. I miss the feel of a real fader compared to the virtual onscreen fader of a DAW.

For me, the main use has been for live recording. That's where it really shines. Set up 8 tracks, hit record and come back 6 hours later. 3 drum mics, 3 guitars, bass, vocal mix from PA mixer. No computer to deal with. It makes things very simple. Unplug it, pack it in an aluminum case I fixed up, and off you go.

As for using the other onboard effects, I've used it in final mixing for reverb, eq, compression, etc. It sounded good. If I don't do the mixing in the unit, I pull the SD card, plug it into my computer and fire up Reaper. Presto.

When set up correctly.....the R16/R24 is a very good control surface. You can use faders and other controls such as FF REW STOP PLAY REC and a host of other things. I use it with Reaper.

Hello,
I am new to all this so please be patient with me. I am having a really hard time trying to get a drum beak playing along with guitar in the recording mode of my zoom r24, I know how to make the drums just play to jam along with but cant do the same when I am trying to record, any help would be greatly appreciated. I will thank you in advance.

I would like to try using the R24 as a control surface. But I'm having a hard time finding information on exporting my R24 project to Presonus Studio One Professional. Have you heard of anyone doing this with success?

A-dude

The R24 should have a folder on the SD card called project, with a subdirectory called something like PROOO and under that a folder marked AUDIO. That folder will have the .wav files from the recording. As long as you aren't using internal effects like reverb or guitar sims etc, you should be able to just copy them to your hard drive and dump them directly into Studio One.

If you used any effects in a mixdown situation, those effects won't be there, of course.

Back