Replacement for Zoom H4 stereo recorder.

rob aylestone

I've just packed everything away for a long job away from base and I cannot find my ZOOM H4. It's always done the job, so I was going to order a new one, but wondered if the small additional price for the H6 is worthwhile? Anybody got one and can comment on it. The x/y mics on the old one were OK, although I normally just use it with one or two wav mics, or use stereo in. The H6 seems good value if I don't go with the fancy mics package.

Anyone got any negatives - as in DON'T BUY IT!!!! Time is more important than money, TBH - so anything else similar could be useful.

I used mine for probably 6 years. Literally just sold it last week, along with the XLR extender to some guy who does weddings and finally decided he needed more inputs that could supply phantom power than his H4. So, to compare it with other Zooms, its main benefit is just that - 6 channels (only 4 are phantom-capable), at the expense of some bulk, but real knobs you can twist and a good display make it easier to use IMO.

Really, it's kind of unique in its place as it's the only model they've never updated, and it's still a "top seller" according to many of the sites I visit to "window shop."

I probably used the mics (only had the XY and MS that it came with) on that thing less than a half dozen times, and always used it more as a "field" type recorder.

I got an F8 and am working towards getting an F8n for primary use with the F8 as backup or extender/doubler for the very rare case when 8 tracks isn't enough.

Don't know of any other options in the "handy" type, though Tascam is kind of the obvious competitor with ones in the same feature/price range. Never heard any bad knocks about those, either, TBH, and know folks using them professionally, so might give them a look.

P.S. For the past 4 years, at least, I always used an external "phone charger" battery cell/powerpack with 5v output and powered it that way. Never ran out of power that way and saved a bundle on AAs or having to even carry any.

h6.jpg

I'm lucky in that batteries are one of my major purchases for radio mics, and the stock room has substantial numbers of them in boxes everywhere. however, the phone style battery source is a damn good idea for longer recordings where swapping batteries is time wasting. cheers for the idea.

I have the H5 and find it a great device but 2 things really annoy me.

The battery indicator is hard to see once the display back light goes down and it just seemed to jump from half to zero in no time and I actually lost part of a recording once because of it. So now I have a bag of part used AA Duracells as I get paranoid.

The other is the stereo mic input which I used for my little lapel mic. On the H5 the socket is in the X/Y capsule. Because of this it makes it difficult for me to put the recorder in my jeans pocket and I am terrified of catching the capsule/mics on some clothing when moving about and breaking them.

Does the H6 have the same stereo input/X/Y capsule set up and suffer from hard to see battery display and sudden power drop?

Looks like I'm not going to have much luck. I ordered from Gear4Music for delivery tomorrow, and they emailed to say they've changed the delivery date because the expected arrival didn't happen. They didn't tell me when it's now coming, just asked for me to email or phone. I need it for Thursday, so looking grim. My first purchase from them, I've always bought from Thomann, but decided to give them a try. Clearly I need to get a refund and order from Thomann who have stock, rather than Gear4music who just advertised the item with no stock. What I don't want is fob offs, and half promises. I bet I have to screw around to get a refund, so I miss the Thursday recording session, and have to fall back onto the conventional interface we did actually bring with us to Northern Ireland, but if I have to use this, then I don't really need the zoom at all. Spending £300 nearly on a recorder for one job is not good business, spending it on a recorder I may never use again is even worse. Anyone know if gear4music are like this all the time? Thomann have never messed me around with advertising things they don't have.

I have never worked out where GFM actually are. I have been tempted in the past but for the sake of a few quid gone elsewhere.

Yes Thomann at least 3 big orders but their delivery is about 7 days. Amazon sometimes cheaper but faster delivery.

The other place and the place where I purchased my Zoom H5 is Waltons in Dublin. Your H6 is 369.00 euro or about £330.00 in real money. A little bit more but you could have it in a few hours. Zoom H6 6-Track Recorder

I have purchsed off these aswell sometimes cheaper sometimes not but your H6 is £275.00 Zoom H6 Multi-Channel Handheld Recorder - Studiospares

I got the H6 and I must say I'm impressed so far on the quick fiddle. No need to use the manual, the menu system makes sense - in fact it's a bit easier in many ways to the old H4 I have and can't find. Plugged two cables in, turned up the gains, pressed record then play to start the recording off. The file name and folder is on the display making it easy to find afterwards. Changing to the variety of formats available is a cinch, so I'm very happy. Not played with the mics yet, but pretty happy.

Back