Recording Acoustic Guitar with Zoom R8

gman4691

I have a Zoom R8 Digital Multi-Track Recorder. I was trying to record playing an old Alvarez Regent acoustic guitar with a Lawrence pick-up clipped in the sound hole. The problem is a buzz I get in the final product that sounds like a speaker buzzing when turned up too loud. I have turned down everything that has anything to do with the input signal but still get the buzzing sound. It isn't separate from the guitar sounds so I can't just cut it out with Audacity. That old Alvarez has a very warm tone but the buzz messes everything up and gets even worse when trying to add effects (e.g. chorus, reverb, etc.). I used it to record on a Boss BR864 and the sound quality was excellent. Then, the BR864 stopped working. Sent in for repairs and they said it needed a new board (which is no longer manufactured)...so I'm stuck with the Zoom. Would plugging the guitar into a direct box and then into the recorder help? So forums say to definitely use the direct box while others say do NOT do it...I'm at a loss here. Most of what I've seen shows one or more microphones.

Last edited:
Hi gman4691.......and welcome to the forum!

It's hard to say if a direct box would solve your issue....but I doubt it. If you can borrow one...try it. Assuming you can monitor your input signal with headphones........at what point does the buzz begin? As you're setting up to record........does the buzz begin when everything is setup and then you plug in the pickup? I sort of think the pickup or the pickup wire or plug might be the issue. There may be some sort of line noise of other electrical signal that the pickup is hearing. Are there any florescent or new led bulbs or motors etc...etc around? Does anything else that you plug into the Zoom input cause a buzz? Most acoustic guitars record better IMO with a mic and not a pickup......but that's a different story. To best help you.......a sample of the noise would help.

I am planning on trying the direct box. As to your other questions, the buzz is always there regardless of adjustments made to both input and output signals. I considered the pick-up and cable but it worked fine on the BR864. I guess it's possible it may have just "outlived" its time. As for other stuff in the room, there is a computer and a wifi router in the room. However, when I recorded before (and everything worked out good), there was a computer and a landline phone in the room and LED lights. I have read a number of articles and visited a number of forums that reached your conclusion of a mic being better and that's probably the way I am going to have to go. I just liked plugging straight in to avoid ambient noises (cars going by, etc.). When I play into the recorder through the pick-up, I do not hear the buzz in the headphones - it only shows up when I either play it back through the R8 or export it to the computer and hit "play" - it's more audible when played on the computer but can still be heard through the headphones straight off of the R8. It's there in both the standard wav player in the computer and when it is imported into Audacity. I have another guitar with a built-in pick-up but that old Alvarez has such an excellent warm tone - and it's easier to play.

Last edited:
Can you post a short clip (a minute or so) of this noise? Its strange that you say you don't hear it when you just play through the recorder, but get it when you record. That just doesn't sound right, unless the level is drastically overdriven,

Also, have you tried plugging into an amplifier to see if the buzz shows up there? Is there any possibility that the clip-on pickup is vibrating?

I have a Zoom R8 and I agree about using the internal mics for a warmer acoustic guitar sound. But it is awkward in a home setting as you say with extraneous noises. Just when you are on your best take ever someone drops something or walks by..:rolleyes:

I shall be very interested to hear a clip but surely this is just the hum pickup that affects all magnetic guitar pickups to some degree or another?

The usual remedies can be tried. Orienting the guitar to find a 'null' (which of course will be standing on a chair, in the corner with the neck vertical!) Checking for local hum sources, transformers, line lump power supplies. You might also check that the setup is actually earthed? Might not need to be for safety but always is for lowest noise.

Dave.

Thanks for the input...the "buzz" is in the notes...that is, when you pluck a string the buzz is heard...when not playing at all, it is not there. I am trying the condenser mics while playing through a solid state amp at this point. However, the Zoom R8 seems to have issues of its own. I put that in another thread to see if anyone else has experienced the same problems. 1) Sometimes when playing, a continuous beep comes through the headphones and the unit just stops recording altogether...the only thing that has corrected this so far is to just unplug from whatever power source I am using (AC adapter or phantom power) and plugging back in. None of the recording is there though...it's back to square 1...aggravating to say the least.

2) This one is probably just the result of using a cheap SD card. In the middle of recording the :File Access Denied" message pops up and the only fix I've found for that is to re-format the card...but on a computer. Using the format function on the Zoom hasn't corrected this problem. Another serious aggravation. Does anyone know the best SD Card to use in the Zoom R8?

I'm about ready to just give up and use this thing for a trot line anchor.

I use Class 10 Sandisk cards in my R24 and H4n. I've never had a file error message. I've also used some Transcend cards, and PNY cards.

I went to buying the Sandisk 16gb Ultra cards for about $6 a piece, I think I bought a half dozen last order. They were actually the MicroSD Ultras with adapters. Work just fine in both the Zooms and my Sanyo HD2000 camera running 1080p 30fps.

My Roland is picky. You cannot use a card with a quicker CF transfer speed than when the Roland machine was made.

For example. It needs the cards labeled Industrial, with a CF of 120-170 no more than 4 GB fat.

I've been using these in my R24, H4n, and Tascam recorders, as well as a Canon camcorder and cameras and have had no problems. Be sure to buy the card(s) from a reputable seller, as there are fakes around that fall really short the specs they are supposed to have.

SanDisk Ultra 32GB Class 10 SDHC

Where you don't hear the buzz in the headphones when recording and only upon playback, I'm wondering if your 'cheap' card just can't keep up to the record data as it writes to the card and creates a sort of digital distortion as it misses data(?)

Thanks for the input: Incidentally, the disk issue was resolved with a better SD Card. It turns out, the buzz was from a loose nut behind the bridge. Seems to be working OK now but will never compare the old Boss BR864. Thanks again for the input.

Thanks for the input: Incidentally, the disk issue was resolved with a better SD Card. It turns out, the buzz was from a loose nut behind the bridge. Seems to be working OK now but will never compare the old Boss BR864. Thanks again for the input.
Glad to hear you resolved the buzzing issue. I once had a issue with my Dean acoustic having a buzz. Turned out to that the strap button was just a touch loose, and would rattle. Drove me nuts until I found it.

Back