Thread: How to use Zoom H2 for recording, with simple software set-up

Thanks

How to use Zoom H2 for recording, with simple software set-up

Sign in to disable this ad
    Hi,

I want to make a one-time recording, so I don't want to buy or learn to much to accomplish this.

I have a Zoom H2 which I can use as audio input. I know how to do that. I'm a Mac-user. I also have a Raspberry Pi 4 with HifiBerry, which I could use, but I think this is more complicated.

Then I know of 3 software programs I can use, but all give trouble:

• Audio HiJack works best. There's a little latency when monitoring the recording, but the least of all 3 options. Problem is: for a one-time use it's quite expensive.
    • Oceanaudio (very similar to Audacity) works, but with very much latency. I don't see how to avoid this.
    • AU labs (and Audio/Midi Configuration) : I set it up, but I can't see or hear any input from the zoom. Problem here is: I could learn to use this, but it would take a while to learn all this, which I prefer not to in this case. I didn't find a tutorial for basic recordings. I tried for hours to get this to work, without any succes.

Does anyone know an easy solution for recording with the Zoom? Is it a known problem that microphones like Zoom give a lot of latency? I googled it, but didn't find anything on that.

Greetings

Thanks
    It's better to use the original Zoom H2 to record directly to the SD card and then copy/import the files to your computer DAW IMO/IME. The old Zoom H2 can record 24-bit depth to the internal SD card but as an interface is limited to 16-bit. (I literally tried this as a cheap [free] voiceover solution for a friend's yoga studio last week.)

On a Mac, you should set the input device to use the (built-in/core audio) supported Zoom driver, and the track settings in your DAW to a single, stereo track using inputs 1-2. Set your output device to the Zoom and monitor from the Zoom's (3.5mm) headphone jack.

I tested with my old 2012 Mini and did not hear any latency, but it's likely going to be a bit noisy. Unless you are streaming, I'd record and copy. Also, just try GarageBand, it's free.

2020-04-24 13.24.37.jpg
    "... I know in the mornin' that it's gonna be good
    when I stick out my elbows and they don't bump wood." - Bill Kirchen

Thread Information