file access error

rkirk

I had an r16 for 9 years before I had to get a new one. Now all of a sudden I'm starting to get "file access errors messages occasionally and I can't complete that recording because it won't let me that file past the error message. Manual says to exit, which I did, no good. Turned off power and turned back on. All tracks are saved to that point, but I just can't go further. I was really tempted to get an aural interface and DAW like most of the rest of the world, but I didnt' want to lose all of those files i had on the SD cards, etc. By the way I also tried deleting files to give more space to no avail. any ideas?

Were I to be in your shoes, I would try to get the files off the SD card and onto a computer. I would then reformat the SD card.

If you are successful in getting the files off, you could then work with them on the computer, or try to get them back on the card after reformatting it, or onto a new card altogether. If that doesn't work, you still have them on comnputer

Last edited:
RKirk,

You shouldn't lose the files on the SD card. They are standard WAVE files. I've got an R24, and I just pull the SD card, shove it into the slot on my computer and copy them to the hard drive for safe keeping.

I would buy a new SD card (you can get them for $10 or less) and see if you still get a glitch. I keep a half dozen or so at all times. It may be that something got glitched on the card you have. It just takes one bad bit to screw things up. You should also be able to start a new project, and import the old WAVE files into the new project on a new card. You would lose any effects you might have used but the audio would still be there.

file error

RKirk,

You shouldn't lose the files on the SD card. They are standard WAVE files. I've got an R24, and I just pull the SD card, shove it into the slot on my computer and copy them to the hard drive for safe keeping.

I would buy a new SD card (you can get them for $10 or less) and see if you still get a glitch. I keep a half dozen or so at all times. It may be that something got glitched on the card you have. It just takes one bad bit to screw things up. You should also be able to start a new project, and import the old WAVE files into the new project on a new card. You would lose any effects you might have used but the audio would still be there.

Well, heres the deal. My older laptop doesn't have a place for a SD card. Believe it or not all these years I never formatted any of them as such- (from now on I will for new cards). I have several with dozens of files. Only once did one become corrupted, those files are gone. I could try to send them to computer.=but I only know Audacity, in which I EQ, compress, etc, but I have never been able to open those individual tracks just the final mix from R16.Because I only have so much memory, I always have just saved the final mixes on Windows Media Player, from which I have either burned CD's or sent out mp3s to whomever. So that;s where Im at now. hope that's clear. I haven't tried to record anything else on this SD card, but obviously if I reformat that I lose all so thats not gonna happen. Thanks!

You should be able to see the raw files under the project audio folder. It will look like the directory below. In this case, I have 8 channels of audio, which are labeled MONO-001 to MONO-007.WAV.

As for not having a slot for the SD card, you can get card readers at any office supply store, or Amazon for $15-20. All you need is a USB port.

I would also suggest you look at Reaper in place of Audacity. Its far more capable. Audacity is great for quick and dirty changes, but as a multitrack workstation, its bare bones.

Attachments

• Zoom wav files.jpg
    Zoom wav files.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 3
You should be able to see the raw files under the project audio folder. It will look like the directory below. In this case, I have 8 channels of audio, which are labeled MONO-001 to MONO-007.WAV.

As for not having a slot for the SD card, you can get card readers at any office supply store, or Amazon for $15-20. All you need is a USB port.

I would also suggest you look at Reaper in place of Audacity. Its far more capable. Audacity is great for quick and dirty changes, but as a multitrack workstation, its bare bones.

I am familiar with the solo files, but I've never been able to see them all at the same time or save them, but anyway I will get a SD card reader here soon. Funny you should mention Reaper. I downloaded it recently and have been trying to figure it out. Sometimes I get an ASIO error msg, but even when I dont', I don't know how to actually get the tracks on Reaper, can't play or record. I did for sure load the latest zoom driver. on audacity I open the F drive, but I dont see that. Nor can I figure out how to get the track play/ rec buttons to function on the R16 to work. Sorry to drag you into this area.

I don't even bother plugging the R24 into the computer. No drivers or anything like that. I am working on a laptop right now that doesn't have ASIO or anything. But I can plug in my headphones, fire up Reaper, and just grab a dozen audio files to drop into Reaper. It will ask if you want them on separate tracks, say yes, and you've got a nice multitrack setup. That way I don't have to fool around with the Zoom after I've done the recording unless I want to. Its really just a drag and drop system. For me its perfect.

There are some people here who use the Zoom as a control interface. About the only thing that I would want that for would be to have physical faders. So far, I've done without.

I don't even bother plugging the R24 into the computer. No drivers or anything like that. I am working on a laptop right now that doesn't have ASIO or anything. But I can plug in my headphones, fire up Reaper, and just grab a dozen audio files to drop into Reaper. It will ask if you want them on separate tracks, say yes, and you've got a nice multitrack setup. That way I don't have to fool around with the Zoom after I've done the recording unless I want to. Its really just a drag and drop system. For me its perfect.

There are some people here who use the Zoom as a control interface. About the only thing that I would want that for would be to have physical faders. So far, I've done without.
I see how you mean.
ok so I bought a card reader, put in a card, it shows up on F drive as in Audacity, (this is on Reaper, ) I click on a project, it then goes to Audio, but when I click on that it says no items match your search. Am I missing something here?

ok so I bought a card reader, put in a card, it shows up on F drive as in Audacity, (this is on Reaper, ) I click on a project, it then goes to Audio, but when I click on that it says no items match your search. Am I missing something here?

I don't know if you are missing something, but I am.

"I bought a card readreader, put in a card, it shows up on F drive as in Audacity," . . . that make sense.

"(this is on Reaper)" What is on Reaper. I didn't understand that. Are you in Audacity or Reaper?

"I click on a project" What and where is this project? Your verbal shorthand is very difficult for me to understand.

So, if you have bought a card reader, inserted a card and it showsd up as F drive, you should be able to double click on that and see the contents of that F drive. And, with luck, you should be able to see WAV files that you have previously recorded. If so, you are lucky.

You can then fire up Reaper, click on "Insert" then "Media file", navigate to the F drive and select the files you want, and they will load into Reaper.

Just open your File Explorer and navigate to the directory.

Follow the path that is in my directory above...
SD card (in my case ZoomR24)
Project
PRJOOO (or PRJ001, PRJ002, whatever you named it)
AUDIO

In that directory, you will see any WAVE files you have recorded in the project. Each project has its own set of wave files. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND that you just copy that ENTIRE directory to your hard drive because Reaper will create a series of files called "REPEAKS". These are nothing but the visual representation of each track's wave form. You don't want to be writing the Repeak files to your SD card.

Now, just highlight the WAV files and drag them to the track area of Reaper. It will look something like this. You can hit the play button and it should start playing the tracks.

Attachments

• Zoom 2 Reaper.jpg
    Zoom 2 Reaper.jpg
    224.7 KB · Views: 6
I'm sure I'm not the first to say this, but I think your SD card is dying. They aren't sealed from dirt like hard drives are and hard drives die every day. I'd do my best to get all of the files off of the SD card, put them somewhere on your computer, then get a new SD card and copy all of those files back to the new SD card. It would also be a good safety thing to do with all of your SD cards, if you have data only on a card.

It's always a good idea to have a backup of any important data that you can't lose, so now that you have a card reader, you should be able to do that. When you get a project you're happy with, don't assume it's going to be there tomorrow. Copy the files to some folder on your computer and you can then rest easy that if that particular card goes belly up, you still have all of your data.

It's just one of the things you have to think about in the digital world. All of those SSD drives, flash drives and cards are wonderful and they hold a lot of data. But, just like a light bulb, they can work one day and the next day not work at all. And in your case, if you happen to save a file on an area of that SD card that is "iffy", one of those data access errors could be one of your files sitting on a bad sector of the card.

And with files like that, you need the file to be complete, to get your program to read it. I'm not sure if I would trust that card any more. Once it has a bad spot on it, I'd say it's only a matter of time before it gets more. I wouldn't even want to trust a sealed hard drive that has bad sectors show up. It's just not a good thing to trust your important data to.

i found the wav files, and as per the other responding person, in Reaper I clicked on Insert, then Media File, then Project, then Audio. I highlighted the several tracks, then after being prompted, clicked on separate tracks. But they are still only on the left side of Reaper, and I can't seem to drag them over to the right. Actually one track is there but it's all blank. Throughout this all I keep getting error opening audio hardware messages. I hope this is clearer in my description. I feel like a klutz here.
Ironically I'm going through a similar conv with Sweetwater about trying to get Cubase loaded. Codes, licenses, what a pain. Oh well

When you say "then Project, then Audio", is that where you navigated to after you clicked on "media file"?

I'm guessing that after you clicked on "medial file", a dialog box opened and fromthere you navigated to the card, found a directory called project, which had a sub-directory called "audio", and in that you found a bunch of WAV files? Is that right?

This bit had me confused: "But they are still only on the left side of Reaper, and I can't seem to drag them over to the right".

Unless by "left side" you are referring to the track control panel, and right side you are referring to the arrange panel.

What would be really handy is a screen shot of what you see. You don't drag anything from left to right in Reaper.

The audio hardware messages are ok. That just means that you haven't set an audio device in Reaper's preferences.

My third attempt at replying: As per another responder, in Reaper I clicked on Insert, Then media file, clicked on Project, Audio, highlighted several mono tracks, clicked open. These wav files all appeared on the left side of Reaper, . now all of a sudden I got them on the right side, also, but I don't know how exactly. I had tried to drag them over but they wouldn't go. They're there, now, but when I click play, I keep geting that ASIO error msg.
Let me go back to what you recommended, you said to copy to my hard drive. When I highlight them, then go to "copy to", which one do I click on to do that? Maybe that's a dumb question, I don't know. As I said I don't have tons of memory on my modest level lap top. Just wondering. When I put in C:/ it said I needed be do as administrator. I don't have a clue about that.

Windows tries to protect you from writing files into the root directory. People tended to screw up the operating system by dumping stuff into inappropriate places. That's why you got the warning. (You can do it, just ignore the warning). But there's a better place to work.

You should have a "DOCUMENTS" folder on your computer. I made a folder in DOCUMENTS called REAPER MEDIA
Reaper Media Folder.jpg.

This is where I can put all my work files. So, if I am working on a recording of a "Jam Session Aug 29", you will find a folder there with that name. I will copy the ENTIRE Audio folder from the SD card to that folder on the hard drive. That is where I do my work. It keeps you organized and you can immediately find you various recordings in one place. It also keeps your SD card safe. Pull the SD card and put it away.

Also, the comment about "not having anything on the right side" is because it takes a bit a time for Reaper to create the image of the wave form. Since you have got tracks showing, you should now see an equal bunch of files with the extension of "REAPEAKS". For long sessions, it takes a longer time to paint the picture of each track. If you are working on the SD card, its much slower than the hard drive, so that just makes the process take longer. Thats another reason to use the hard drive. Once those are created, it will keep those files updated.

I don't know how big your drive is, but for $70 you can buy a 2 TB external hard drive at your local office supply store. That will hold enough audio for hundreds of projects. My laptop only has a 256GB drive, so I will dump things onto an external drive when I am finished. That way I don't fill up the drive, which I could do quickly.

As for the ASIO error, you need to set up Reaper to use your internal sound card if you don't have the Zoom connected. Under OPTIONS PREFERENCES change the device from the Zoom to something like WAVEOUT Windows Media Mapper. Otherwise Reaper will try to send the audio to the ZOOM, and if you don't have it plugged in you won't hear anything and it gives you an error.

They're there, now, but when I click play, I keep geting that ASIO error msg.

You are getting the ASIO error message because you don't have an ASIO audio device available in Reaper.

You need to go either click on that message where it says 'Audio device' or go: Options/Preferences/Audo device, then select the audio system. If you have an interface that uses ASIO, you can leave the audio system as ASIO, but select the interface where it says Audio driver. If you don't have an interface connected, then you need to select from the options and find one that works (e.g. Direct Sound or similar).

I dont know why sometimes I do a reply and it doesn't show up, anyway, I have finally got some tracks playing ( I saved had them for now to documents.) I Had to change the Audio to Waveout, so that's no problem now. I don't really know what to next, as far as learning reaper than to go to You Tube and watch Tutorials. I had originally wanted to use the R16 as a controller,etc. but for now I'll just try to figure this all out as is. Currently I have five tracks from a Project, four of which I can see at the same time, I have to move the cursor to see the other one. I;m sure that' an easy fix. Anyway, thanks for all the help. I will for sure go out and get an external hard drive. one final? right now my sound is just my laptop speakers. To send to my monitors, should I get two female quarter inch cord to a male mini?

Definitely watch some of the Youtube Videos. Kenny Gioia's ReaperMania are probably the best, most extensive ones.

Regarding monitors, you can certainly use the headphone out to a pair of monitors speakers, or to the line inputs to a stereo. The cable you need will depend on the monitors you are using. They will need to be powered monitors. You should be able to use the same ones you would use on the R16 (if you already have some).

Back