Using two mics with the US-144

stevepotter

Hi all,

Although I've had the US-144 for a long time, I have only just started recording with it as I have bought a couple of miss.

I'm looking to experiment with my condenser mic and dynamic mic and want to use both at the same time to record my electric guitar (Pretty common practice from what I read). My question is, can I connect both mics at the same time as I have to switch phantom power on for the Condenser. Is it safe to connect the SM57 also?

I have a work-around which is to put the SM57 through my acoustic line in and then from the line out to one of the jack inputs on the US144 but would rather not over complicate things...

Thanks

Steve

All dynamic mics, like the 57, are unaffected by phantom power. I wouldn't use a ribbon mic with phantom power on tho.

You are safe. :)

Yes, you'll be fine. The way phantom power works, when you connect dynamic mics via XLR, the phantom power is cancelled out by the way a balanced circuit works. (If you're interested, both pins 2 and 3 on the XLR carry +48 volts. Since the polarity of one leg is inverted by the balanced circuit in the mic, +48 volts and -48 volts cancel out to 0 volts.)

If you want to be totally safe, connect all your cabling at both ends before switching on phantom. It's highly unlikely you'll have a problem even if you forget this but, just in case one pin of the XLR has been pushed in or something, this avoids accidentally making contact on one leg before the other.

Yes, you'll be fine. The way phantom power works, when you connect dynamic mics via XLR, the phantom power is cancelled out by the way a balanced circuit works. (If you're interested, both pins 2 and 3 on the XLR carry +48 volts. Since the polarity of one leg is inverted by the balanced circuit in the mic, +48 volts and -48 volts cancel out to 0 volts.)

If you want to be totally safe, connect all your cabling at both ends before switching on phantom. It's highly unlikely you'll have a problem even if you forget this but, just in case one pin of the XLR has been pushed in or something, this avoids accidentally making contact on one leg before the other.

Thanks, makes sense!

Steve

Back