Using the 688 as a Drum Mixer

MasterMurph

I'm trying to use my old 688 Midistudio as a mixer, like the manual says it can do. In this case, I'm trying to use my machine to "Premix & EQ" a drumset that has 5 mics on it & then send it out as a Stereo signal into 2 open tracks in my 2488 Neo.
Has anyone ever done this on this particular machine & if so, could you tell me exactly how you did it ? I've been trying to read the manual & experiment with different Scenes, but so far no luck, as it seem like I never can get all 5 mics to route correctly. I can never seem to get all of them to be seen on the LED meters (1 for each track) on the 688, nor can I get them all to be heard in either the Monitor Out or Group 1/L & 2/R Outs. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks ahead of time.

Last edited:
This is an old thread so the OP may have figured it out by now, but I'm a new 688 Midistudio owner myself and have only really figured out this stuff myself! The 688 can be a headscratcher at times!

To route ALL (e.g. mic and Dual line inputs) to the L-R bus (Group 1-2) select Scene 12 (which is the default "mixdown everything" routing Scene), ensure the 1/L-2/R bus/master fader is up at 7-8 (shaded area) and that the Dual Master knob is up at ~3 O'clock. Ensure Group 1-2 in the monitor section is switched on, and everything else is off. You should now hear all 10 channel and 10 dual channel inputs being routed through to the Group 1/L-2/R and Monitor L-R RCA outputs. All 4 effect returns will also be mixed into the the Group 1/L-2/R bus as well, giving you another 4 line inputs.

If you want to bring a line input through the main channel strip rather than the dual channel (eg. so you can EQ it) use Input screen on the Routing Matrix to toggle where each channel takes its input.

Cheers, Ben.

Back