us-428 playback problems

lonman

Greetings all,

My computer is a Pentium 4 2.4 ghtz, 512 mb ram, 80 gb ultra dma hard drive. I'm using a new edition of cakewalk home studio 2004. I have no problems when I record to cakewalk through the soundcard on my computer. When I try to record with the Tascam US-428, I have a skipping in my playback. This skipping is not always in the same place. It sounds as though someone was quickly pressing and release the pause button while I was recording. I have disabled everything that I can think of, such as all com ports, both of the other usb ports, the modem, and my network card, and still it skips. I tried using it with the cubasis that it came with first, and had the same problem. It also has the same skip when I try to listen to a cd from my computer through the tascam.

If I have left anything out please let me know. If anyone has had this or a similar problem please tell me what you did to fix it.

Lonman

Thanks for listening

Lonman:

I had the same problem with my US-428.

It was maddening as hell. I phoned TASCAM, and a tech. rep e-mailed me a link to a Microsoft download site. If you are running Windows XP, you need to download a service patch from Microsoft's site. Apparently, there was a glitch (imagine that) in XP's audio. Once I did this, though, I have not had any problems whatsoever with the unit. It works well for what I need it to do.

Do a search here on US-428, and you will find more threads on it. That's how I did the troubleshooting.

Faclon

63 Falcon,

Thanks so much man. I downloaded sp1a and now the 428 works fine. But, somehow in that process my internet connection got hosed. But I'll fix it later. Right now, time to record!!!

Thanks Again
Lonman

Back