US-144 too old?

stratovani

Newbie here. I'm trying to get into the wonderful world of home recording. I'm using Studio One for my DAW, and I have an older Tascam US-144 interface. So far my attempts to record my bass have been a failure. Studio One recognizes the US-144, but it seems like nothing is getting through to the computer, which is a year-old Dell running Windows 10. My question is this - is the US-144 too old to be used in home recording anymore? I don't really see why it should be, after all it's just an interface. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Hi stratovani......and welcome. If win10 and Studio One are recognizing the Tascam........it's not likely too old to work for you. It sounds like you may not be setting up Studio One to see or record the input from the Tascam. Do you have the operator manual for the Tascam and Studio One? I'd start there. Maybe someone here is more familiar with your setup and can give you some tips.

it looks like the drivers for the US-144 are from 2010. There is a 64bit version, but maybe it won't work with Win10. You can try loading the drivers in compatibility mode.

I agree with Mickster. The 64bit driver for Win7 should also work in Win 10. If not, you could try ASIO4ALL, but I would do that as a last resort.

Much more likely that its a routing issue somewhere. Are you using the right channel input and have it set to Guitar? That sets it as an unbalanced input, otherwise it operates as a balanced TRS input. (I'm assuming you are trying to run direct in to the interface, not micing your bass cabinet.) I don't use Studio One, so I can't comment on how to set up the input routing.

I've got a sneaky suspicion that the US-144 has seen better days. I have an older computer which is still functional and runs Win7. I'm going to try it on that tomorrow, and we'll see what happens.

Well, I tried my US-144 on my older HP computer which runs Win7 and is a 32-bit OS. I loaded Cubase LE into it, and nothing was being recorded once I got everything up and running. I think the US-144 is kaput, and it's time for a new interface. Thanks for the help everyone, but it's time to move on to some new equipment if I still want to get into home recording.

I honestly think you haven't set up the routing between your DAW and your Tascam. Any other audio interface you get will require some sort of routing......which is not automatic in many cases.......and which could easily be the reason your set up is not working for you. Before you go and spend more money.........have you actually read the manual for Studio One?

Update! My US-144 works fine with my old Dell Latitude laptop running WinXP and using an old DAW, Cakewalk Home Studio 2002. I can upload a song into the DAW, and play and record my bass along to the song. Good for simple recording, but I don't think I'll be recording a symphony orchestra and time soon with it!

Hi, I also just bought a new Windows 10 laptop, and I can't get the US-144 to work properly with it. I downloaded the windows 7 driver as recommended, but I only got slow clicking noises instead of sound, and when I ran a test with a Youtube video, the video was also slowed down. I downloaded Asio4all (I had found it necessary to get decent results in Tracktion on my work computer - also Windows 10 - that I had been using earlier) but wasn't able to install it because Windows insisted I had "the best driver for the device". I tried uninstalling the device and rebooting the computer. Current status is that the device doesn't show up, or now and then alternatively shows up as "driver error" (with the only option to fix it "remove device"). I found a recommendation to run device managment at command level, and there the device shows up, but it is still impossible to install the asio4all driver. The weird thing is that the device manager shows "no driver", but if try to install, I continually get the message that the best driver is installed. Any ideas? I really want to move all recording, streaming etc. away from my work computer and onto this.

Hi, I also just bought a new Windows 10 laptop, and I can't get the US-144 to work properly with it. I downloaded the windows 7 driver as recommended, but I only got slow clicking noises instead of sound, and when I ran a test with a Youtube video, the video was also slowed down. I downloaded Asio4all (I had found it necessary to get decent results in Tracktion on my work computer - also Windows 10 - that I had been using earlier) but wasn't able to install it because Windows insisted I had "the best driver for the device". I tried uninstalling the device and rebooting the computer. Current status is that the device doesn't show up, or now and then alternatively shows up as "driver error" (with the only option to fix it "remove device"). I found a recommendation to run device managment at command level, and there the device shows up, but it is still impossible to install the asio4all driver. The weird thing is that the device manager shows "no driver", but if try to install, I continually get the message that the best driver is installed. Any ideas? I really want to move all recording, streaming etc. away from my work computer and onto this.

If you have the original CD that came with the US-144 you could UNinstall your current driver, then use the CD to install the original driver. If you don't have that CD, go to Tascam's website and download an early version dated close to the original purchase date.

Back