TSR-8 sync TSR-8

ajkivi

Has anyone synched two of these decks together? I'm curious about the results, gripes, if the 7+7 tracks (assumed track 8 on each carries the code) are worth it, etc. Is there a common "sync box" generally recommended for this application? I'd try it myself but I have just the one machine...for now...

Adam

Yes, I have extensive experience syncing Tascam stuff for over 30 years...Tsr 8's to msr 24's...to 85-16's ...to daws...to hard drive recorders. I've pretty much synchronized everything in the Tascam line to each other and to outside machines.

If you have two tsr 8 machines that you want to sync, start looking for either an mts1000 (Midiizer) synchronizer or a Tascam ats500 synchronizer. And two pw5md sync cables (or the cables can be bought or built later).

That will get you sync'd. When properly hooked up, the two machines act seamlessly as one 14 track machine.

If you pursue it, and if you have questions after you have all the equipment in front of you, there are many posts regarding sync. I've been involved in several of them at the Tascam analog forum.

Yes, I have extensive experience syncing Tascam stuff for over 30 years...Tsr 8's to msr 24's...to 85-16's ...to daws...to hard drive recorders. I've pretty much synchronized everything in the Tascam line to each other and to outside machines.

If you have two tsr 8 machines that you want to sync, start looking for either an mts1000 (Midiizer) synchronizer or a Tascam ats500 synchronizer. And two pw5md sync cables (or the cables can be bought or built later).

That will get you sync'd. When properly hooked up, the two machines act seamlessly as one 14 track machine.

If you pursue it, and if you have questions after you have all the equipment in front of you, there are many posts regarding sync. I've been involved in several of them at the Tascam analog forum.
Don`t suppose you have used a Tascam MTS-30 midi tape sync have you?
I recently pick one up but not sure how to program it correctly.
won`t to try it with a Alesis SR-16 Drum machine & my old TRS-8 8trk

Can`t find a Manual or a copy of one anywhere (their as rare as Hens teeth)

Rough idea.

Me, too, me, too!

I have had a play with it.

step1: Hook up to Rec unit (tape in/tape out of Mts to Rec unit)
if on Multi 8trk track 8 trk /trk 4 on a 4 track.

Step 2: connect Midi leads to MTS and to device you with to sync with
(my case is a old SR-16 Drum machine)

step 3: disable your DBX for that trk if your Rec unit has it.

Step 4: select Time signature on MTS-30

step 5: Hit record on your multi trk then hit save button on MTS-30
This sends a a high freq from it`s line out to line in on Rec Unit.

step 6: Hit play button on unit to be syncronized
when your duration of time you want is over press save
button again to stop signal.

Play back (8trk running Drum machine)

step 1: rewind 8tk to start of recorded section and make sure your MTS-30 only displays 3x dashes (---)

step 2: press playback on 8tk & after a few seconds your drum machine
should start automatically playing with 8trk.

I don`t as yet know what else it can do progam wise as I don`t have a manual for it.

If any has or knows more I would be most grateful if they could let me know.

Ats-500

I am waiting for an ATS-500 to arrive any day now. I already have a manual, It is like reading another language, from another planet! I plan to sync 2 TSR-8s or a TSR-8 and MSR-24 together. I bought 2 15 pin D connectors from MCM electronics and I am wondering if it is the same as the one Tascam specifies. I will have an update to my progress when I get the ATS-500. I dont know how similiar the ATS-500 and the Midizers are. This will be an interesting experiment.
VP:cool:

Where to find PW-5MD cables?

The 15 pin D connectors I got from MCM electronics are a different configuration than the serial 2 port on my machines. Does anyone know where to get them?
Thanks
VP:eek:

Back