Thought I fried my interface

spantini

COO of me, inc.
I was hooking up my new mic to my new US-2x2 interface into Reaper - first timer when it comes to mic'ing via interface to DAW. I wanted to make sure I could get levels on a track and master. Well..

I have a problem (which I'll discuss in a Reaper thread) which led to me fiddling around and the next thing I knew all I was getting out of my monitor headphones was total distortion from the mic. Then I tried playing an .mp3 through Win10.. total distortion (uh oh..). Then a YouTube video.. total distortion - all while monitoring via headphones at the interface (oh crap!).

I unplugged my interface and turned on my powered desktop PC speakers.. perfect sound - YAY!

I just knew I overloaded and fried something, so I started unplugging the mic; the interface - figured I'll just buy another. Then I thought to try one last thing: un-install the driver and re-install it.

It worked !!! I guess I overloaded a signal and it scrambled the driver settings - but nothing can keep a Tascam down.. right? :D

And that's my Tascam story for today.

The End

Last edited:
Just so you know, Reaper has a built in safeguard that will mute your track when the input levels are to hot. (high). It is designed to keep both your ear drums as well as your monitors from exploding. It drove me crazy till I read it somewhere. :eek:

Back