Teac 3340

hottrocker

I know this is the TASCAM area...but, If I am not mistaken these guys are almost the same. I have one of these reel to reel 4 trackers along with the mixer board that came with it. Im not real sure of the worth of this item. I plan on keeping the both of them. I am sure that it needs some attention. I just dont plan on paying more than it is worth. I want to take it to a reputable repair shop. It probably just needs a proper cleaning and adjustment. Any ideas on what it might be worth? I can try to get a picture of it posted her if it helps.

I guess no one has ever heard of this one?

I guess this one is not on anyones list. I didnt have any luck on the Teac website either. I have seen items of like make and model without the mixer going for $500.00 plus. But we know how that can go. Well it was worth a try...
So does anyone know a REPUTABLE multi-track repair facility in the Springfield, Massachusetts area?

have you tried contacting TASCAM?? Tascam/Teac ARE one and the same. i've contacting Tascam regarding repairs on products "almost" as old as your 3340 and they've always been very honest and helpful. call 1-323-727-7627. i might be worth your while to pack the 3340 carefully and mail it to them for evaluation. from what i understand the 3340 (and it's kin) is one of the more respected 4-track reel-to-reels around. if it were my unit i think i'd be more comfortable having Tascam check it out (rather than take it to some place i was not familiar with). just my 2 cents. cheers.

I have some of those old Teac 4 tracks…very good machines…built like tanks…will probably last forever…some famous people have made albums using them. Do a search on ebay, and check out the ‘completed’ items. This will give you a clue as to what they’re selling for.

Thanks!

I appreciate your info. Im gonna do just that. Im going to contact TEAC/TASCAM to see if they will do the neccesary repairs. Im sure it couldn't cost more than the unit is worth...and I will get a recorder that runs like new.
Your right ...these are built like tanks. Heavy like a tank too. But they are dam cool to look at and I have the pleasure of having the sister mixer that goes with it.
Maybe the people at Tascam/Teac will honor this old timer unit with a free tuneup? I wont hold my breath.

Hey hottrocker,

http://www.stores.ebay.com/store=21843746

Check out this guy's eBay store! I bought an old 4010S that was on the fritz, and I brought it back to life with the Tweak Your Teac manual that he has developed. He also has a lot of photocopied service manuals for them.

I use mine as a mastering deck for my computer mixes. Sounds amazing!

TASCAM/TEAC

If I'm not mistaken, Bruce Springsteen's "Nebraska" album was done on a TEAC 3340. Tomita (a Japanese synth master also used these babies extensively). They're great machines. I used to covet one, but could never afford it. Anyway, they probably were the best 4 track machines available at the time (late '70's).

Considering the 8 and 16 tracks were the next incarnation, the old 4 tracks may still be the best 4 tracks available. If not, then probably not far from it.

Happy

I am happy to own it. I have resisted just bringing it to the local electronics repair shop. I have contacted Teac and they are willing to repair the thing. No mention of cost. <<Shudder>>
As heavy as this thing is it is going to cost plenty just to ship it. I guess to have a relic that plays and records well would be worth it.

Hi Hottrocker, I can tune and calibrate it for you. Im about two hours from you in Rochester NH. Send me an email and I'll give you my phone no. It will be worth your trip just to see my studio full of tape machines. Paul nhcomp45@aol.com

We used ta have a 3340 when I was an A/V boy in HS. Way cool.

I had friends that recorded an album on one - great sound, did a lot of track bouncing. There's really a whole science to EQing and oredering tracks for how many bounces they'll have.

I just saw a 3340 in the local free paper for $125 (including some car stereo stuff???) - I decided it was probably hot and left it alone. But it was a great machine in its day - 4-trackin' for the common man.

Daf

Thanks Pauli

I think this one needs just a little more than just an adjusting. The inputs look to have a little corrosion so I would bet it needs a lot of cleaning and replacement of parts. It's not that bad to where it wont play. But I think the full go thru needs to be done on this one. There is a local electronics shop that has been around since before this thing was made. Some of the same guys still work there. I am hoping that this will be the best place to take it.
I greatly appreciate the offer. I have a great fondness for reel to reel vintage machines. This one kinda got under my skin and became part of me. When I got it only one track recorded. I attribute that to alignment so I am sure that would help lots! But I am not competely sure thats all it needs. After tossing the idea around a bit I have decided to at least get an estimate.
Again I appreciate the offer but I think it needs just a little more than adjustment.

Hi Hottrocker, the electronics shop can fix bad jacks and pots but this machine cant be properly set up without a service manual and alignment tape. I'm one of the few people in this area that have the equiptment and knowledge to properly set this machine up. Let me know if need me Paul.

Thanks Again Paul

Sure I kind of figured that. If that is the case and they dont have what is needed to align the heads you may be getting a visitor! I would like to have the ability to do that myself in the future. Im sure there must be someplace to get that reference tape? I have also heard that the cleaning materials are not best bought from radio shack. That I would need something better? Any thoughts on this?

Im thinkin of selling

After thinking about it I decided to sell the 3340 sync. I already have an analog multitracker (Fostex) and am now looking to get a digital workstation (besides the 'puter) to round out my recording setup. So I think Im going to post it on Ebay. It took me some real soul searching to come to this conclusion. Thanks for all the info on this. I appreciate greatly the assistance you have provided regarding this unit. If anyone is interested in purchasing it...I may let you have first cracks at it before posting it on ebay.

Back