TEAC 3 Mixer?

Its been over 30 years since touched one of the old Teac mixers. Our bassist had a Model 5 and an 80-8. Assuming that it works correctly, it should be ok. I don't think they are the quietest mixers out there, but it will have an old school sound. The EQ is pretty basic, I think it has bass and treble at a couple of selectable frequencies.

I don't know that I would sink $300 into it, maybe 200-250 if its in good condition, quiet sliders, no capacitor issues. You don't want to have to sink another couple of hundred into repairs.

You'll still need a 4 channel interface to dump your files to the DAW, tho.

Its been over 30 years since touched one of the old Teac mixers. Our bassist had a Model 5 and an 80-8. Assuming that it works correctly, it should be ok. I don't think they are the quietest mixers out there, but it will have an old school sound. The EQ is pretty basic, I think it has bass and treble at a couple of selectable frequencies.

I don't know that I would sink $300 into it, maybe 200-250 if its in good condition, quiet sliders, no capacitor issues. You don't want to have to sink another couple of hundred into repairs.

You'll still need a 4 channel interface to dump your files to the DAW, tho.

Thanks, Rich. Very cool on the old school sound potential. I was thinking of connecting this, or whatever mixer I go with, to the Tascam US 4x4, as someone said they use that as their ADC.

YouTube

I have the US16x08. It works well for me. I bought it a year and half ago, but I've really just started using it regularly in the past several months. Most of my recording had been live stuff using my Zoom R24, mixed down in Reaper, or before that, on my Yamaha AW1600 and AW16G. Using the 16x08 with Reaper is amazingly easy. I was fooling around the other night with a friend, letting him try doing a vocal track on a practice recording that we did about 10years ago on the AW16G but never finished. The first 8 tracks were dumped from the Yamaha to Reaper, and I've added electric and acoustic guitars and vocals using my Tascam.

Honestly, I wish working with tape was that easy. But if you are doing a performance recording, it doesn't matter if its going to tape, hard drive recorder, or computer. Hit record and start playing. Hit stop at the end, and you've got it.

One thing that came to mind was that using the US4x4, you should be able to do both a tape recording AND a direct digital recording at the same time. That way you could really compare the two as they would be getting the exact same feed.

In any case, I'm sure you'll have fun. I enjoy playing with all this stuff! My only regret is that it wasn't this easy and this cheap 40 years ago!

I have the US16x08. It works well for me. I bought it a year and half ago, but I've really just started using it regularly in the past several months. Most of my recording had been live stuff using my Zoom R24, mixed down in Reaper, or before that, on my Yamaha AW1600 and AW16G. Using the 16x08 with Reaper is amazingly easy. I was fooling around the other night with a friend, letting him try doing a vocal track on a practice recording that we did about 10years ago on the AW16G but never finished. The first 8 tracks were dumped from the Yamaha to Reaper, and I've added electric and acoustic guitars and vocals using my Tascam.

Honestly, I wish working with tape was that easy. But if you are doing a performance recording, it doesn't matter if its going to tape, hard drive recorder, or computer. Hit record and start playing. Hit stop at the end, and you've got it.

One thing that came to mind was that using the US4x4, you should be able to do both a tape recording AND a direct digital recording at the same time. That way you could really compare the two as they would be getting the exact same feed.

In any case, I'm sure you'll have fun. I enjoy playing with all this stuff! My only regret is that it wasn't this easy and this cheap 40 years ago!

Right? I'm looking at the TEAC 22-4 I'm getting for $450 (+a new reel of tape) and I see here it was $1450 when it first came out -- and that's in 1981!! Sounds like these Tascam preamps are pretty versatile. Righteous. Very excited for my new toy here this Saturday. Thanks for all the help, Rich. Cheers.

Back