TEAC 22-4!! What else do I need?

Grimm Holiday

I'm purchasing a TEAC 22-4 this weekend and I am a complete rookie at analog recording, I could really use some help.

What will I need to bounce these tracks onto my laptop??

I want to record all my tracks onto the deck. Do I need a mixer?

I have a Scarlett focus rite solo preamp, a microphone and that's it. What other equipment will I need?

This rookie needs some assistance! I would forever appreciate it.

I believe the Solo only has 1 line input, so that will be an issue.

TO get to your computer, you'll need an interface with 4 line inputs unless you want to try to move them individually and sync them up later. That's not recommended especially if you have long tracks as there can be some speed drift over time which can screw with your track alignment. Something like the Behringer U-PHORIA UMC404HD will do 4 channels at once. I don't know that it will act in "stand-alone" preamp mode. The Tascam US4x4 interface will be similar in capability to the Behringer, but will also operate as a basic preamp with 4 outputs that could feed the 22-4 line inputs. They run about $170 but it would allow you to transfer 4 tracks at a time and you could use it as mic preamps for the 22-4. The 22-4 doesn't have mic inputs, only line inputs. You COULD use the monitor out of the Solo to record a track.

If you want to record a full band, and mix it down to 4 tracks, then you'll need a larger more extensive mixer.

I believe the Solo only has 1 line input, so that will be an issue.

TO get to your computer, you'll need an interface with 4 line inputs unless you want to try to move them individually and sync them up later. That's not recommended especially if you have long tracks as there can be some speed drift over time which can screw with your track alignment. Something like the Behringer U-PHORIA UMC404HD will do 4 channels at once. I don't know that it will act in "stand-alone" preamp mode. The Tascam US4x4 interface will be similar in capability to the Behringer, but will also operate as a basic preamp with 4 outputs that could feed the 22-4 line inputs. They run about $170 but it would allow you to transfer 4 tracks at a time and you could use it as mic preamps for the 22-4. The 22-4 doesn't have mic inputs, only line inputs. You COULD use the monitor out of the Solo to record a track.

If you want to record a full band, and mix it down to 4 tracks, then you'll need a larger more extensive mixer.

Rich, you're the man, thanks a lot. I'm going to look into the Soundcraft and Allen & Heath mixers, and which one would be best suitable for my deck. With my music, I don't have drums or bass, only acoustic guitar, vocals + vocal overdubs and guitar fills with some light synth.

Will an 8 channel mixer do me well for this?

Not sure if you acquired the 22-4, if so, I think you would appreciate having a vintage analog-style mixer as well. Getting another
Teac/Tascam would be a good match. There are several models that come to mind, one that I recommend (and own) is the Tascam M-1516, from the early-mid 90's, has alot of features and so forth, and I think would be a good partner for your 22-4. There are some on Ebay, very reasonable prices too.

Back