TDK or Maxell or Sony?

Tucci

Which brand of cassette tape is the absolute best to use with my 424MKII?

huh huh? Been using Maxell.

Thanks,

Tucci

:D Yo Tucci:

When I was using tape, I liked the Sony Pro cassettes; however, I don't know if they are still available; might find some on E-Bay or it still may be in "someone's" store.

Green Hornet ;)

Senior needs advice on tape transferrals

As a classical singer, I made many recordings on several cassettes, going back to the 60's. Then, over the years, made copies which now NEED to be transferred onto CD's. My dilemma is that there are too many individual solos
on 14 tapes which I would have to single out, and it would be too confusing
for me to try and go directly onto CD's, so I want to make a final cassette
copy and go from there. Please tell me the best type of tape to use, and whether any unwanted noise or hiss can be removed after the transfers are
made. I was thinking of taking my finished CD's to a professional for this.
Many thanx!

I have used Maxell for the entire time I've used Tascam Portastudios, nearly 20 years. They always sound great and are very reliable.

Ya, Maxell type II 60 minute cassettes. The 60's have thicker tape, which resists deforming better than the longer 120’s or 90’s. On the other hand, the longer tapes are more flexible which may contribute to better head contact. Your call. :)

Ya, Maxell type II 60 minute cassettes. The 60's have thicker tape, which resists deforming better than the longer 120’s or 90’s. On the other hand, the longer tapes are more flexible which may contribute to better head contact. Your call. :)

This tape you are talking about,.....is it tapeworm? :D
Masking tape. Anyone visiting this site should start using masking tape. It works much better than ordinary recording tape. All the big time pros use it. The recordings ‘stick’ much better. Ordinary recording tape is slippery. The sounds just slip off after a few weeks. ;)

Masking tape. Anyone visiting this site should start using masking tape. It works much better than ordinary recording tape. All the big time pros use it. The recordings ‘stick’ much better. Ordinary recording tape is slippery. The sounds just slip off after a few weeks. ;)

I use analogue gaffa tape. It's digitized for optimum clarity. No signal degradation either!

What is this "cassette tape" of which you speak? :confused: Some relic from the long-forgotten past?

:D :D :D

As a classical singer, I made many recordings on several cassettes, going back to the 60's. Then, over the years, made copies which now NEED to be transferred onto CD's. My dilemma is that there are too many individual solos
on 14 tapes which I would have to single out, and it would be too confusing
for me to try and go directly onto CD's, so I want to make a final cassette
copy and go from there. Please tell me the best type of tape to use, and whether any unwanted noise or hiss can be removed after the transfers are
made. I was thinking of taking my finished CD's to a professional for this.
Many thanx!

Well, looks like most people are responding to the old question and are ignoring your new question, so here goes:
I would only attemp doing the cassette compilation yourself if you have a good quality, maintained deck that can do Dolby B or C. Although your best bet if you are willing to pay a pro, is to just cue up all your tapes for the engineer and record them straight digital. A lot of things can go wrong doing it yourself if you don't fully know what you are doing...
Cassette tape hiss isn't as easy to remove in digital as you might think.

I second this. As hard as it may be for you, Zana, I'd go staight to digital, if at all possible. There's just too much degradation going from slow speed cassette to cassette, especially when you don't have an up to spec deck.

What is this "cassette tape" of which you speak? :confused: Some relic from the long-forgotten past?

:D :D :D
Fuji normal, TDK High bias & normal and brilliant cassettes, Sony Hi fi, different Maxells from
the past 20 or so yrs., and some metals. I even have old Sarex tapes from the early
60's. By keeping them in tin cans, the tapes lasted longer, especially Sarex.
Sarex - please come back! Thanks everyone, for your help.

I second this. As hard as it may be for you, Zana, I'd go staight to digital, if at all possible. There's just too much degradation going from slow speed cassette to cassette, especially when you don't have an up to spec deck.
Many thanks, and I have 2 good decks......Technics RS-TR333 with Dolby B & C and
automatic tape select function, plus Dolby HX-Pro headroom extension system, and
bias adjustment.
My other deck is a JVC TD-W354BK with compu calibration, Dolby B & C, HX PRO and
automatic tape select function, but includes full logic mechanism and compu link.
Could you please tell me which of these decks is best? because I haven't mastered transferring directly to digital equipment yet; thanks.

Back