Tascam warranty on labor is only 90 days!!!!!!! Read warranty before buying!

DebErney

TASCAM WARRANTY IS ONLY 90 DAYS ON HEADS/MOVING PARTS AND LABOR. TASCAM 1 year WARRANTY EXCLUDES HEADS AND DISK DRIVES AND LABOR. I JUST PAID $139 FOR TASCAM SERVICE FACILITY TO LOOK AT MY 5 MONTH OLD DP-24. THE REPAIRS will be in addition to THE $139 I HAD TO GIVE THEM BEFORE THEY WOULD EVEN LOOK AT IT.

I've owned many Tascam Portastudios since my first in 1998 and have always loved them. It was quite a shock to realize I paid $599 for a machine that didn't last 6 months and now I have to pay for the repairs on this unit. The shop wouldn't give me any kind of guestimate on repairs - whether or not it would be worth fixing. They wouldn't even unbox the unit to look at it until I paid them $139, which was non-refundable, to diagnose problem. Yes, Tascam pays for parts but not labor and the standard rate for labor in this area is $80+ per hour.

If a company can't stand behind their equipment for 1 year, they won't be getting my money.

You are the first person with a DP24 on this site (I believe) to need to send unit in....most of our issues were fixed with software updates..

Why did you have to send it in?

I just checked the warranty. It's as the original poster says, at least in the USA.

I don't think they could duck out so easily over here in the UK / EU as we have legislation that gives far stronger consumer protection. It's generally at least a one-year warranty but can be up to 5 if the fault was due to a manufacturing defect.

I'm a huge Tascam fan, but I think the 'official' warranty they offer is really terrible.

Back