Tascam US-1800 with Cubase LE 5 HELP!

Drum369

After purchasing a Tascam US-1800 and installing all necessary drivers and Cubase LE 5, I followed all directions to set up the two together. I went to Device Setup and selected the correct drivers, and enabled the necessary inputs/outputs. After, I checked the settings in VST Connections and all is set up fine. The problem is, I am getting no signal at all to the program, even though the hardware is recognized, and when I turn the Mix knob on the US-1800 to Input instead of Computer, I hear the signal. I also have Ableton Live Suite 8, and if I try to record into that, I can do it perfectly fine with no problems and no setup was needed. Is there something additional I need to do in Cubase? I can post screen shots if necessary.

Thanks in advance for the help

Hey Drum369, I also use the same set up and would be glad to help you get it working. It's a good first step that you made by going to Devices/Device Setup/VST Audio System/Select Asio Driver: US-1800. Second step would be to go to Devices/VST Connections, from here you will need to add a bus for each input you plan to use. Once you've added a bus you can select which input it will be routed to under the Device Port column (inputs highlighted in yellow). Finally you should be able to go to your main screen, add a audio track, and select the designated input which you created a bus for. FYI it's a good idea to save your bus setup in a project template that way you won't need to do this every time. Also, the manual is really straightforward and will help you. Hope this helps

I've already done that, I followed all the instructions in the manual that came with it, but still no sound.

I'm going to try re-installing everything probably later today to see if maybe an installation or something went wrong. I will post if it helps or not

Wait, before you go doing that, are you familiar with Cubase? Did you click the 'Monitor' icon on the track you are trying to record? You must also select the input source for each track via the 'Inspector' window.

I've tried setting the inputs, I've tried using the Monitor button on the track. I have taken classes in live sound production and recording engineering, and I am more Pro Tools oriented than any other program, but it doesn't usually take that much to get them working, as there is the same basic idea behind them. This is just troubling me that something that is designed to work with Cubase isn't working at all with it after I've followed all set up, and selected/activated the appropriate i/o's. I would use Pro Tools if I could, but my tascam interface isn't compatible with it.

Seems you either have missed a little step, or the interface is defective. I have worked with Protools a bit myself, and I know that assuming different software's are 'the same basic idea', is not a good assumption. Cubase could be considered completely weird by a PT user.

Hopefully we can get this figured out.

Are you able to hear audio from computer, other than Cubase, through the Tascam?

Yeah, when I set the mix knob on the interface from computer to input, I can hear sound nice and clear with no problem at all. And when I close out Cubase and open Ableton Live Suite 8, audio runs great through Ableton with no hassle at all. That leads me to believe that the problem lies in Cubase, and not in the hardware.

I know DAW's are all different and have their own style of operation, but they all have i/o's, and they all have the press/play/record buttons, with a basic track format. It doesn't take too much change to go from one to the other.

Last edited:
No offense meant, but the fact that the 1800 doesn't work for 'you' in Cubase, and it obviously does for everyone else here, means that there is a problem in 'your' setup or use of the program. Sorry if I come across as offended, but it is your setup issue, not Cubase's.

I am fully aware of that. I came here asking for help with the situation I am in after I have followed the instructions word for word and am stuck in a dilemma. I already knew that there was something wrong with my setup, that is why I am here asking what that problem is, because I can't figure it out, and Tascam support hung up on me when I tried that.

Alright then. I wasn't trying to be a dick. Lets start from the beginning, or somewhere near there. You hear audio from the interface inputs, so that is good. No signal back from the computer to the Tascam. Can you hear Media player playback through the 1800? What computer (OS) are you on by the way?

Yeah, I can hear media playback through iTunes just great, same with Ableton. I have a Toshiba laptop with 4gb of ram on Vista 32-bit

I am trying to hold back the sigh for your Vista... Had one. Friggen nightmare. Anyway...

So lets be clear, you hear itunes through the monitors that are hooked up to the 1800? Or are you trying to listen through your lappy speakers?

And the problem was just solved by removing everything, including drivers and driver software, and completely re-doing it all carefully. Must have been a driver issue, as the only thing I did differently was download and install the US-1800 driver from the Tascam website instead of the CD that came with it. Thanks for the help!

Back