Tascam US-1800 clicking noises.

fuzzsniffvoyage

Clicking noises on recorded tracks, not midi. Could this be a precursor to a unit failure? I've been using the US-1800 since about 2012.

It's very annoying.

Sure you are not pushing the computer too hard? I remember the Tascam having a vague latency setting ability. Raise it up. Does it stop?

If not it could be a number of other things. Your recording drive and/or the OS drive running out of free space? USB controller not keeping up. A bad USB cable....

Double check to make sure you have the latest driver. I know I have had mine as long as you and I was having some issues a few years back, out of the blue. Then I went and found a new driver and it seemed to go away and works with no issues.

I don't keep mine on the lowest setting for latency, maybe next to the lowest.

A strange kind of ticking, often in time with the music? Mine does that, and is a driver issue - killing it's power and recycling cures it. I suspect the driver loses sync and it's a bit rate issue - the power off and on forces it to reload the driver which cures it every time for me. It is a strange noise - a sort of rhythmic tick?

After switching cables, re-installing drivers. I've got the clicking to stop. I unplugged the Avid 11 rack. Had it wired SPDIF out on 11 rack to SPDIF in on the 1800. The clue should have been the 11 Rack wasn't passing a signal to the 1800. Duh.....

And I'm definitely getting a new interface asap. I'd like to get the SSL Nucleus, but that's some serious coinage. So I'll probably end up with the Focusrite Clarette, or the PreSonus series 3 digital mixer.

Back