Tascam US-16X08 latency and lagging

JoshALL

So I am running windows 10 and the DAW I use is Mixcraft Pro Studio 9.

My situation is, I recorded a guitar track through line 9, and it works great. No latency, no issues, it is perfect.

Then I go to use the 8 channels to record drums to the guitar track, and this is where everything goes to hell.
I had latency right off the bat, so I realized I needed to change the software panel to master r and master l for the output sound 1/2 to monitor through the unit rather than my DAW.

So that helped with the latency there (although every time i did a new take, it would fall behind gradually again)

Then when i play back what I have recorded,
The tracks are all slightly off from the guitar track.

Not sure what i am missing here,
I see threads online with people having similar issues, but I never see a resolve for it.

Any and all help is appreciated.
Thank you kindly.

1. Do you have the latest ASIO driver set from Tascam? They just released v4 about 2 weeks ago. It seemed to work well on my system.
2. What settings are you using for your sample rate? is the Tascam set at the same sample rate as Mixcraft? Best to have your DAW set the rate for the interface. You can open your project and then check the mixer setting to make sure they are the same.

i've never run into serious latency issues with the 16x08 running with Reaper. It does have latency compensation, I assume that Mixcraft has some sort of latency correction as well. What is your processor/speed and what buffer settings are you using?

With my 3.2gHz I5, I run with 128 on the buffers with no issue. At 88K I get about 6ms latency.

Just for ease of use, I have a scene for the Tascam for direct monitoring, and one for DAW monitoring. Its easy to pop to the screen and switch it needed.

1. Do you have the latest ASIO driver set from Tascam? They just released v4 about 2 weeks ago. It seemed to work well on my system.
2. What settings are you using for your sample rate? is the Tascam set at the same sample rate as Mixcraft? Best to have your DAW set the rate for the interface. You can open your project and then check the mixer setting to make sure they are the same.

i've never run into serious latency issues with the 16x08 running with Reaper. It does have latency compensation, I assume that Mixcraft has some sort of latency correction as well. What is your processor/speed and what buffer settings are you using?

With my 3.2gHz I5, I run with 128 on the buffers with no issue. At 88K I get about 6ms latency.

Just for ease of use, I have a scene for the Tascam for direct monitoring, and one for DAW monitoring. Its easy to pop to the screen and switch it needed.

So I mean, being a newbie to all this,
This is my laptop's specs, I am assuming the specs itself should be able to handle the job and this is not my issue:

GENERAL SPECS:
Brand - MSI
Model - GL63 8RC-071CA
Operating System - Windows 10 Home Basic
Operating System Type - 64-bit

PERFORMANCE SPECS
Processor - Intel Core i5-8300H 2.30 GHz
Clock-speed - 2.2 Ghz
Graphic Processor - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050
Graphics Memory - 2 GB GDDR5

MEMORY SPECS
Capacity - 8 GB
RAM type - DDR4
RAM speed - 2400 Mhz

STORAGE SPECS
HDD Capacity - 1 TB
HDD Speed(RPM) - 7200 RPM
HDD type - SATA

Check HERE to see if you have the latest driver for your Tascam.

Click on the blue 'HERE' above. Go to the Software/Settings panel V4 download. :)

I am just going to return this unit and invest in the Focusrite Scarlett 18i20.
I tried a WHOLE bunch of things, and the same issue at the end of it all is, after every single recording take, when I try to play back what I have recorded, it just gets further and further off track.

It should not be this much work,
The Zoom R16 I originally had was amazing as it was just plug in and go, the issue with it was I wanted the extra 2 channels to use all 8 for drums and have guitar and bass play along.

Thanks anyways for the help.

It looks like you've got plenty of computer to handle the recording. You said it falls behind gradually. How far is that? If you record for 3 minutes, is it a few ms, or something like 1-2 seconds?

You didn't comment on your sample rates, and if the DAW matches the interface.

I know its a change going from the Zoom to the DAW/interface, but if the issue is in the DAW setup, changing interfaces might not fix things.

BTW, I've got the R24, and it seemed like a breeze to use. I use it for mobile recordings. However, once I get past 8 tracks, the DAW was easier to work in.

Check HERE to see if you have the latest driver for your Tascam.

Click on the blue 'HERE' above. Go to the Software/Settings panel V4 download. :)

Yes, I have the latest driver for it.
The manual tells you to go download the driver first thing and they had a new driver when I bought it.

I am just going to return it because no one has resolutions online for when people have this issue.

Sounds like something is wrong with how you have the interface setup. Don't blame the interface man.

It looks like you've got plenty of computer to handle the recording. You said it falls behind gradually. How far is that? If you record for 3 minutes, is it a few ms, or something like 1-2 seconds?

You didn't comment on your sample rates, and if the DAW matches the interface.

The sample rates match the software channel portal to which it is set at.

Basically today instead of doing drums,
I just recorded two guitar tracks.

Recorded the first one to the click straight up,
I dont have latency with the monitoring playback, it is when I play back the tracks I have recorded.

Each new take gets further and further off track.
It starts off at just milliseconds difference, then jumps up to about 1-2 seconds, and keeps going from there.

My system CPU is barely using power for this,
So I dont understand why the recorded tracks are lagging.

If your recorded tracks are out of time, that is a software issue. Meaning your daw. Interface has nothing to do with that.

Sounds like something is wrong with how you have the interface setup. Don't blame the interface man.

I hear you man, believe me... I WANT this to work.
I followed the manual, read a bunch of threads of people having similar issues, no one can provide a resolution for it.

My issue is there is no other latency during the "recording playback"

It is when I stop it and go to listen back, each track is further and further off time.
There is no answer for this online anywhere,
I called Tascam and all their support said was to try changing buffer rates, so I did all that,
Even read suggestions to change things on my computers end, and it is still happening.

What could I possibly be missing that could solve the issue that would not be an idea from the manual?

If that is the case, then it has nothing to do with the interface. You have a setting in your DAW wrong. Sample rate or some kind of time control off. That is what you need to research.

In Cubase, if you move one track in time mode and one not, shit goes crazy. I have accidentally hit a button that threw my tracks crazy.

It may be something really simple in your software. On playback, the interface has no control of tracks being out of time. It is only playing back what is sent to it.

Let's be clear. The issue 'lagging' of tracks happens after recording. Only on playback?
Yes,
I have the monitoring setup to run through the interface channels Lines 1/2 to master R and Master L. So when I record,
Everything is all gravy.

The buffer rate on the interface is set to 256 but I have also tried 128 and it is always the same in my DAW.

I recorded a guitar track to the click.
Played it back, and it is good.

Recorded a second guitar, it was basically on time,
But slightly off.
So I deleted that take, and recorded another one...
It was off even more... same things for the next to the point where the strumming was completely off and a whole note behind.

Basically each new track recorded,
Gets further and further behind the more takes I do.

Because as mentioned,
The first take when I start my session to the click,
Is perfect.

Last edited:
What would be recommendations for standard things to CHANGE on my DAW.
And should I be possibly looking into changing my DAW then?

Is there a preferred one that can handle these units for sure?

For a quick check, I would download Reaper. It won't cost you a cent, and that should tell if the settings in Mixcraft is an issue.

Also, I would avoid using any plugins for this. I have read of instances where plugins can cause latency. I don't think this is the problem, but its best to work from the cleanest system, before throwing in everything at once.

Yeah, I have avoided the plugins as well when directly recording. Just use them at time of mixing.

I will check out reaper and see from there.
I really would like to use this, but if i can't get it to work with my system correctly, I still have a chance to return it as it is withing the 30 day mark.

I literally can't do any recording I had planned now because I don't have an operational unit as I sold the Zoom to invest in this as someone suggested it.

I have zero experience with Mixcraft, so I won't be of help there. Maybe look at forums about the software.

It truly is a issue with the software from what I gather from your situation. I wouldn't throw out money to fix an issue before you know what the issue actually is.

Trust that many of us have had these type of issues. It usually operator oopsies. Or just not quite understanding how the software works. Took me years to get the fine details of Cubase, as that can be really complicated for someone who hasn't worked with a DAW. The reason being that it has so many options that those who know how to use it benefit, it can be tough for those new to the product. I still find things that I didn't know about the DAW. But basic recording with any software should be easy with a bit of learning.

Cheers Josh!

Is it Josh? Or are you joshing? lol

I am Jimmy :)

I have zero experience with Mixcraft, so I won't be of help there. Maybe look at forums about the software.

It truly is a issue with the software from what I gather from your situation. I wouldn't throw out money to fix an issue before you know what the issue actually is.

Trust that many of us have had these type of issues. It usually operator oopsies. Or just not quite understanding how the software works. Took me years to get the fine details of Cubase, as that can be really complicated for someone who hasn't worked with a DAW. The reason being that it has so many options that those who know how to use it benefit, it can be tough for those new to the product. I still find things that I didn't know about the DAW. But basic recording with any software should be easy with a bit of learning.

Cheers Josh!

Is it Josh? Or are you joshing? lol

I am Jimmy :)

Hello Jimmy, yes I am Josh lol

Believe, I full on imagine it has something to do with me not fully understanding how the pieces are all operating together. No ego on this front.

I just do not know what can be creating this issue.
I read all over online, trying out other techniques, even reached out on the Mixcraft community board, but no one (at least responding) uses the Tascam.

So I dont really have anyone with the exact setup, that could tell me what else I am doing wrong.
I read the manual, went step by step, checked a few videos online and boards.

I feel like I am running out of options.
But I will test it out on the Reaper system later when back home as was suggested.

I'll also try to replicate your problem later when I can fire up the system. I'll go basic, just record a drum track for a few minutes, then I'll play that track back and record it 8 times, so I can actually track the latency across all 8 mics. That should show any delays very quickly. A few minutes should be sufficient.

Back