Tascam-recorded files too quiet when transferred..?

teamdresch

Quote : I have a TASCAM DP01-FX eight-track digital recorder. I have been moving mastered tracks (which are WAV files - they're data, not audio) from the eight-track to my laptop via USB. I’ve found that no matter how high I set the levels when I master them, the output from the TASCAM is very quiet. I can fix it to some degree by using Audiograbber’s ‘normalize’ function, but is there another way I can make my songs much louder?

yep, copying over data: WAV files. and all the tracks are turned WAY up when i mix it, and the mastering volume is WAY up. In other words, no matter how loud it sounds on the TASCAM, the WAV file as played on the PC is much quieter than any other WAV files i have. maybe it's time i played with pro tools...

A guy is looking for some help with this problem.. just for my own curiousity, and to help him out.. what is the problem here?

The master faders effect the signal to the stereo bus. When you transfer the WAV files you are only transferring the audio data itself, without the benefit of the stereo bus' amplification. Basically, the WAV file you transfer is what you hear before the master fader and stereo bus.

1. You don't have the input volumes high enough. A lot of people think if they crank the headphones/monitors up, they're getting good signal. In fact you should watch the DP-01 meters instead, and back off just as the overload light begins to flicker. Then set the listening levels.

2. Commercial CDs are recorded with tons of compression, which the DP-01 doesn't have. And that makes them much louder than what you usually can do at home. Try compressing your wav tracks with software in your computer.

3. If you're miking your signal, try a different/better mike, or a more efficent technique.

If you're comparing to professional CDs, they have been mastered using high quality compression and limiting to bring up the mean volume. It's tough to achieve that kind of volume at home. Pro Tools will not make any difference. You can get some mastering software or mess around with master limiters on your current setup (the Kjaerhus Classic Master Limiter is a free VST plugin that actually sounds pretty good), but mastering is a complex process and takes good ears, good monitoring equipment, and a fair amount of experience to do right.

Back