Tascam portastudio 424 MKI questions

moriluk

First off, I looked through and haven't found the answers. But there are a lot of threads here.

I am bidding on an original 424 (MKI). I think it looks much cooler than the MKII & III. My approach to recording is extremely basic, I will not need a 6 or 8 track mixer, aux, buss, effects send/return, etc. I am simply going to be recording everything through a mic>tape; nothing direct, and no effects units except on the instruments themselves. So as far as features, the MKI will be fine. I am concerned with sound quality and age, Thus...

How does the MKI compare to the MKII(I)?
(I have read extensive comparisons between the MKII & MKIII but not much on the original and how it compares to the MKII & III)

I had a tascam 234 rack unit. It recently stopped working. How will the sound quality of the 424 compare with the 234?

Will I be able to play tapes I made with the 234 on my 424?
(I think they should but I suppose the record or playback heads could be positioned differently)

When did this first come out and when did they stop making them?
(I am pondering if I should perhaps buy the MKII or III because they may be newer)

Honestly, any of the 424 series are going to be good units. I'm partial to the mkII since they have the power supply built in. I would think the 234 would probably sound better than the 424, but I'm guessing. Does the 234 have dbx noise reduction?

I believe that the 234 and the 424 have matching track patterns on the heads, so something recorded on one should be able to play on the other, provided both of them are aligned correctly (especially in regards to noise reduction).

What's wrong with the 234? It could be something as simple as a broken/slipping/gooey belt. I'd love to get my hands on a 234 and a 238, but that will have to be next year some time.

I'm sure there will be plenty of information forthcoming on this. This place never ceases to amaze me with the amount information that can be gleaned from these guys.;)

Yes. The 234 has DBX noise reduction. I am not sure what is wrong with it. At first it wouldn't play (rew & ff worked but not Play) but now it does play but no sound comes out. I do not know who could fix it. Perhaps I will put it on ebay for parts or "as is". If someone knew what they were doing they could probably fix it and have a great deck. Right now it is nothing more than a decoration.

Back