Tascam Porta Two (not HS)

Danalogue

This seems to be one of the most elusive portastudios out there, no one seems to have a whole lot to say about them.

I'm looking at picking up a tascam porta two (6 channel 4 track, not the newer porta 2) for 50 bucks. I got hooked on the limitations, inspiration and fun of the 4 track cassette process after helping some friends record demos on a 414. I'm tired of having to stare at a computer screen to record music. I loath the digitisation of our world and want my passion (music) to be one last safe haven from predatory 0s and 1s. [so I ironically turn to my computer for help... pathetic]

I'm really looking for a 244 or 246, but I just really enjoy the process and I think I might take what I can get for now until I find one of these more serious units.

Is anyone familiar with the Porta Two that has an opinion/experience that they'd be willing to share? I can't even find out when they were produced, I think one source said 1986.

The model I'm looking at isn't the "HS", which I am assuming means High Speed. How drastic is the reduction in sound quality at regular speed? Is there a modification that can be done to speed it up?

I'm just tinkering and getting ideas down, but if the equipment screams "TOY"! at me every time I use it, I might be less inclined to do so. Should I bother?

Thoughts? Info? I know a lot of other people were looking for a manual, did anyone find one? Thanks.

Dan

Porta Two

Bought it. Glad I did. I have the manuals. let me know if you want 'em and I'll scan them. I know there were people looking for them.

I have 2 Porta 2s both have the heads jammed in the play position one of them is the original that I purchased new in 1985 the other an ebay mistake, seems to be a common fault somthing to do with the drive Belts, and somthing for you to be aware of.

Bought it. Glad I did. I have the manuals. let me know if you want 'em and I'll scan them. I know there were people looking for them.

Hi, I really need the manual for this. I can't get mine going and i'm not sure if it's broken or if i'm doing something wrong. it won't play or record though.

Back