Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Tascam mx80 mix mixer

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by xxmangoosexx View Post
    finally got my mx80 patched into my studio. i dont have a patch bay, and only 8 analog outs/ins on my soundcard. still, im using 3 of the channels as standalone preamps, and the other 5 as a lo-fi "summing" box, or line level mixer. I've had great fun so far mixing simple home demos through it. What's interesting is that it has a balanced out, (-40dbu) and an unbalanced out (0dbu)...the balanced one can be patched into another outboard preamp for added gain/color. Neat!

the noise floor isn't all that bad either. really need to boost things out of control to make any kind of noise apparent.

what's fantastic is now i have 8 usable pres for demo/location purposes in one little box, and i can sum them to two tracks and output that to a stereo recorder. For 40$!

damn.
    The MX-80 (I just received mine a couple of days ago!) is a true discrete dual FET preamp design. We shall find out this afternoon if the WAYYYY-TOO-DEEP mic in jacks have the typical Tamura transformers in them. These are a big step up in design from the excellent pres in the M-35. I don't know how they sound yet, we are going to completely mod this thing top to bottom, and I also got mine for $40!! Neve and SSL used FET gain stage. I've counted 4 chips in the whole box, probably for the line amps. Price out fully discrete mic pres today...then price out summing amps... If you're tracking drums to submix to tape, consider throwing a compressor on those XLR outs...make your mixing way easier and "safer" THEN you got a NICE 2-track drum mix...you could even throw a TPSII or MPAII after it for crunch, then the compressor...just awesome...simple always best!!!!!!

Thanks
    You do realise that you resurrected a thread from 2009, thats 7 years ago.

Alan.

Thanks

It's a very cool unit!

You could even break the Access SND/RCV loops on each channel and use them as 8 discrete preamp Direct-Outs to something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lt. Bob
    ... subtleties of sound make a difference to those who really listen.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychotron View Post
    The MX-80 (I just received mine a couple of days ago!) is a true discrete dual FET preamp design. We shall find out this afternoon if the WAYYYY-TOO-DEEP mic in jacks have the typical Tamura transformers in them. These are a big step up in design from the excellent pres in the M-35. I don't know how they sound yet, we are going to completely mod this thing top to bottom, and I also got mine for $40!! Neve and SSL used FET gain stage. I've counted 4 chips in the whole box, probably for the line amps. Price out fully discrete mic pres today...then price out summing amps... If you're tracking drums to submix to tape, consider throwing a compressor on those XLR outs...make your mixing way easier and "safer" THEN you got a NICE 2-track drum mix...you could even throw a TPSII or MPAII after it for crunch, then the compressor...just awesome...simple always best!!!!!!

Hey, sorry for reviving the mx80 thread with my first post in the forum. Hello btw!

I would like to know what happened after you delved into the unit... Did it have transformers in it, or it is a transformerless design?
    Did you managed to apply any succesful mod to it, or just recapped?

I dig that vintage tascam tone, i was thinking of giving my MX80 a little love.
    Please let me know, thanks

Thread Information